PDA

View Full Version : where can i get a trunk lid??

spaztheweird1
05-26-2008, 06:46 PM
checked the junk yard no luck all lift back i have a 91 coupe and need a trunk lid and hinges the both broke and i didn't realize it and broke my trunk so i need a new one Toyota down here wants like 500 for everything and cant find them any where else and might have a 3 piece spoiler of sale or trade also thats ones i sand it primer it and fix up the shitty paint job it has

celicatrd93
05-26-2008, 06:51 PM
very very hard to find a good coupe trunk lid, specially the hinges cause those are a factory defect. every coupe owners trunk hinges break. weld them like i did.

spaztheweird1
05-26-2008, 06:58 PM
yea see thats the hard part the hinge broke but it more or less ripped off the inner metal of the trunk so the whole trunk is shot and hinges i i can get the for about 45 each and yea its high but if i can get a trunk lid for cheaper then 430 then i think it wont be so bad but it does suck i want to weld the trunk closed cause i have all ways had two seater's and no trunk so i never use it but i need to be able to get to the spare

celicatrd93
05-26-2008, 07:25 PM
dont have to weld the trunk shut, just re-weld the hinges to the trunk. thats what i did and it worked fine but not the best job, there are a lot of junkyard hoppers here including me, you can pick up a nice trunk or at least a decent one for 50 bucks. i know there are alot of coupes at the local yards here.

spaztheweird1
05-26-2008, 07:33 PM
how much you think it would be to ship?? cause in that case if possible i may fine some one to get it and ship it thats not a prob for me

celicatrd93
05-26-2008, 07:52 PM
no idea on shipping...

H8PVMNT
05-26-2008, 08:09 PM
I welded my hinges on a '92 we had with great success... I did add a little 16 guage to the area where the piece rips out and put the weld nuts on it. I think I added a little rod stock for reinforcement where the welds have to go as well. It is really tricky to weld that thin metal so the extra reinforcements help alot because it gives you something to weld to. It's pretty easy to figure out what to do with a little scrap metal, a drill, angle grinder and maybe some new weld nuts. Just weld a little spot at a time and let it cool so you dont burn holes.

Ghosty
05-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I went ahead and ordered some brand new hinges for mine when they gave out a couple years back. Had them painted for rust protection. Cost a fair bit, don't remember how much, but it's nice to have a trunk that you know will work.

Contact your local Toyota repair shop and get a quote on them.

spaztheweird1
05-28-2008, 12:19 AM
ok talking about my trunk prob. with my uncle and he said that since i can find anything i should keep looking and till then just remove the broken hinges and since theres no fixing it cause the trunk its self is messed up on the inside i should remove the shocks and everything and hood pin it where the hinges would be and keep the stock closing lock until i can get new stuff wanted to know what you think???

ciento44
05-28-2008, 03:28 PM
I've never seen the hinges break.... :squint:

I can get trunk lids.... the yards around me seem to like to get only coupes, which is lame-O.

Shipping would suck major balls, though.

Let me know if you want to try to work something out.

spaztheweird1
05-28-2008, 03:35 PM
where is every one located ?? any one around Akron, Ohio ?? if so i wont need shipping lol my uncle has works up in that area

ciento44
05-28-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm in Indianapolis... If he wants to come out and pick it up if i score one, that's cool, but i'm not driving a deck lid farther than my local Fedex in my car. :hehe:

We're looking at probably $125-150+shipping...

spaztheweird1
05-28-2008, 04:21 PM
well let me wait till friday and see what my check is and we can go from there