PDA

View Full Version : 50/50

celica91gts
05-26-2008, 02:55 AM
so guys.... theres been a lot i've wanted to do to my celica. ive always wanted to turbo it. either 3sgte or 5sfte. it didnt matter to me. i wanted to throw on a wrc hood as well as the cs bumper. i wanted to get ksports for my car and a 6th gen tranny on it since mine is going bad. not that much on my car has been modified. ive gotten my seats reupholstered. ive gotten and new clutch and lighter flywheel. ive gotten rims, ive bought a 5sfte turbo kit. i just bought springs for the car. all together it spells unfinished. but my dreams to finish this car are very strong. ive hit a few snags. got in a little accident leaving the hood and bumper a bit messed up. my car has always had a small oil leak as well as the power steering fluid leaking a bit. so one could say that the car is not in the best condition. my uncle from california just came over and has an mk3 supra. hes offering to sell it to me for 2500. dad says i cant have both and so im thinking. as of right now the supra is the better platform. its n/a. maroon original paint with a bit of sundamage on the roof. everything is oem. it dosent even have a cd player because he believes that keeping things stock is better. interior is very clean. one small rip on the rear passenger seats. dash is not cracked. drives perfect. tranny shifts smoothly. no leaks. my friends tell me to jump on this and ditch my car. im currently doing some reaserch on the mk3. id like some input from the people on here with the mk3. point being would you guys do this if you had my car? thanks a lot for the input and sorry for the long thread.

celicaGT90_05
05-26-2008, 03:25 AM
if you can have both and want to finish your celica, why would you want to ditch it now? That makes no sense to me unless your friend is wanting to buy your celica. Why not get the supra and drive it while working on the celica?

T-spoon
05-26-2008, 04:02 AM
If it hasn't yet it will probably need a headgasket job. The NAs had that problem too. It will be slow. If it's auto it will be real real slow. But... in the long run if you're actually going to be putting a lot of money into performance, it IS the better chassis for straight line power. As a daily driver, I doubt it will be as good as the celica. If it were me, i'd consider all the of the above, which would take into account the body damage on the celica (which of course you know better than we do).

T-spoon
05-26-2008, 04:02 AM
if you can have both and want to finish your celica, why would you want to ditch it now? That makes no sense to me unless your friend is wanting to buy your celica. Why not get the supra and drive it while working on the celica?

His dad says he can't have both.

Rix86
05-26-2008, 04:34 AM
Supra.

T-spoon
05-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Supra.

You ARE keeping in mind it wouldn't be you maintaining it right? ;)

VikingJZ
05-26-2008, 05:59 AM
Spoon knows the Supra.

I'd say go for it if it were a MKIV....but you'd be a complete dumbass if you didn't jump on that deal. I'd stick with the slowica and work on that. You have all of those parts...use them.

celicaGT90_05
05-26-2008, 06:04 AM
His dad says he can't have both.

oh I misread it, my bad. Hmm I really dont know, the gas mileage with the supra probably wouldnt be as good

Rix86
05-26-2008, 06:12 AM
You ARE keeping in mind it wouldn't be you maintaining it right? ;)
don't care.
supra. :lolhittin

3SmeCaptain
05-26-2008, 06:23 AM
my buddies MKIII as the 7MGTE going in it, turbo is about dead and ZERO idle control... the TPS and IAC *i think thats what it is, idle air control* are gone... he's adjusted his throttle so that it stays cracked open for idling. he's got a 1J ready to go, just needs the engine mounts, bell housing for the W tranny and some over wiring parts and exhaust piping.

it's a hard car to maintain no doubt... and a hard car to keep it's ass end on the ground...

celica91gts
05-26-2008, 11:16 AM
If it hasn't yet it will probably need a headgasket job. The NAs had that problem too. It will be slow. If it's auto it will be real real slow. But... in the long run if you're actually going to be putting a lot of money into performance, it IS the better chassis for straight line power. As a daily driver, I doubt it will be as good as the celica. If it were me, i'd consider all the of the above, which would take into account the body damage on the celica (which of course you know better than we do).

yeah, my uncle ran into that problem. he already got it fixed.

T-spoon
05-27-2008, 02:13 AM
yeah, my uncle ran into that problem. he already got it fixed.

How'd they fix it? If it was stock headgasket with stock torque specs it'll probably happen again.

My head is probably warped btw, so I'll be needing to do about the 3rd or 4th headgasket job on my GTE as soon as I can afford it. The last couple times weren't done because the HG failed, but one due to the head needing some work and the likely warp from a lot of overheating due to electrical issues/cooling fans. I will say that when it's not broken, it's probably the MOST exhilarating car I've owned and is a very comfortable car to cruise in (in part due to the weight) compared to celicas and MR2s, but thank God I don't have to rely on it to get to work, because I'd be screwed if I did.

andy
05-27-2008, 03:36 AM
my dad owns a gen 3 supra, we just finished putting a 1jz in it two days ago. his stock 7m was blown. I raced this supra before he bought it while it was still in running condition. my stock 112 hp ae86 beat it. your celica will whomp it. it is a better platform for drag racing. while they can be set up for track its still a heavy ass car making it hard to tune the suspension on a weak budget. but if I could do it again. I would buy the 3rd gen supra over my celica. luckily my dad doesnt car how many cars i own. OHHH and check it for LSD my dads 87n/a had a stock lsd!!!! Look at the diff for a clue, most lsds had a "lsd oil only" sticker on them. decide what you want and what you want to do.

Rix86
05-27-2008, 05:02 AM
my dad owns a gen 3 supra, we just finished putting a 1jz in it two days ago. his stock 7m was blown. I raced this supra before he bought it while it was still in running condition. my stock 112 hp ae86 beat it. your celica will whomp it. it is a better platform for drag racing. while they can be set up for track its still a heavy ass car making it hard to tune the suspension on a weak budget. but if I could do it again. I would buy the 3rd gen supra over my celica. luckily my dad doesnt car how many cars i own. OHHH and check it for LSD my dads 87n/a had a stock lsd!!!! Look at the diff for a clue, most lsds had a "lsd oil only" sticker on them. decide what you want and what you want to do.
If a stock ae86 beat a mk3 turbo... the mk3 was in BAD shape.

andy
05-27-2008, 06:35 AM
hahah yeah, it blew up 3 days later. my dad bought it for 300.

91 Celica GT-S
05-27-2008, 08:18 AM
ill help you buy the supra ill give you a hundred bucks and you send me your turbo kit and springs
and all your problems will be over
youll live happily ever after
the end

DeeCee
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
I had a similar situation last year where I had to toss up between selling up or buying something new.

What you have to write down and clearly think about is:
a) how much you have invested into the project - time, money, parts
b) how much more you have to invest into the project to get the car back - time, money, parts

Be objective about getting this stuff down. eg you bought the hood for $xx dollars and you spent xx amount of time on getting the flywheel in (please don't count time waiting or sitting on one's bottom thinking about stuff lol)

In the end, what made me follow through on my project was the phrase:
"the devil you know, the devil you don't know"

I was prepared to take out a loan for a car that I would have modified beyond the modifications that were already on the car, so I would have been paying interest on a loan and trying to spend more on the car anyway.

I could have bought a lemon for all I knew and pay for repairs on a lemon because I didn't know the history of the car and pay interest on the loan + more money for modifications.

Vicious circle I tell ya!

In the end, I weighed up:
- how much I spent thus far in terms of time, effort, parts (i had just bought wheels, shocks/springs, seats and a bunch of other things before the syncro hub cracked on the gbox)

- how much more I needed to spend to reach my goals and trust me, the goalposts shift all the time, you have to stick to some sort of plan (I have taken a month off to sort out my business as well as finish up the car now - time is also a lot of money for me, but I need to sort out business and the celica is a demo car for my business)

- Could I still survive while the car was off the road (I bought a runaround - 2.5v6 haha)

- Could I ever go through doing something like this project again in my life (the answer was no, probably not to this extent..)

- and could I buy another car of which I didn't know the history of which would then lead to potential repairs etc (happened with the runaround... spend $700 to get to warrent standard) or should I build something that I know inside and out.

Have a think about the things you would do if you bought the supra ie would you modify that as well? What things would you do and how much time, money effort would that take.

Write it out, think about it objectively and you'll find your answer.
I found mine and a st205 engine is going in this week, and i'm buying lots of parts over the next two weeks lol but then again, the car has been off the road since september last year and no work done on it due to working full time and not having the motivation to work on it with other projects on the go.

ciento44
05-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Supra!