PDA

View Full Version : Universal technical institute???

glenn
05-23-2008, 01:55 AM
is this school all that its cracked up to be cuz if not i'm not wasting my time or money

extremeskillz
05-23-2008, 02:07 AM
have no idea. I go to New England Institute of Technology. I like it and they have a 18 month program. I'll be done with a BS degree in IT/Computer Engineering in Mar '09

KoreanJoey
05-23-2008, 02:46 AM
If you're trying to work on Toyotas, NO. For Toyotas you should go to a Toyota T-Ten program.

glenn
05-23-2008, 04:59 AM
well i really dont care what i work on lol except for ford

alltracman78
05-24-2008, 01:36 AM
It partly depends where you are and what else is available locally.

However, I personally am not a big fan. It's basically a auto tech factory.
Too much information gets crammed into too short of a timespan.
School is a full day of just automotive stuff, and you learn everything in 18 months. While it's nice to be done with school quick, if you actually want to LEARN, that's not enough time for the info, I don't care if you're a quick learner or not.
Most of the techs I've seen that have come out of there aren't all that great.

If you want to work for Ford, look around at community colleges and see if Ford has a program at any ones relatively close.
It's going to be MUCH cheaper, and over a slightly longer timespan, plus you probably will have the option of coming out with a bachelors degree instead of just an auto certificate. While you might not care about this now, down the road it can be a BIG help.

ST185
05-24-2008, 07:55 AM
I am attending Universal Technical Institute right now and its really all that great. The classes are only 3 weeks long and somtimes the instructors are freaking idiots that don't even know how to teach. Probably the only good thing about the campus that I'm going to is that they have a Toyota program, we get half off all snap-on tools and we get discounts at the napa store on campus. Other than that its not really all that great but that's my opinion

glenn
05-24-2008, 08:01 AM
yeah well thats why i was looking at it cuz i wanna go into TRD and i wasnt saying i wanted to work for ford lol i hate ford all the cars my family bought that were ford broke down and just kept eating money so i wanna work with jap motors they last long and are more reliable and less expensive on parts except BMW....

ST185
05-24-2008, 08:33 AM
seriously Ford's freaking lick balls. My dad has a mustang and there is always something wrong with it. Good thing he gave me his celica instead of that headache

VikingJZ
05-24-2008, 04:04 PM
I am leary of a school/company that advertises your education on MySpace.

glenn
05-25-2008, 03:18 AM
shit they arnt the only ones even ASU and ITT tech and Devry alot of colleges are advertising on myspace they are trying to get all the teens they cn into there colleges and get money from them

VikingJZ
05-25-2008, 03:30 AM
ASU advertises on MySpace? I have not seen that one. That's a reputable school, even though I'm all about UO I have to admit that one at least.

celica9303
05-25-2008, 04:45 AM
BMW is not jap btw its German

glenn
05-26-2008, 07:17 AM
yeah i know that lol i was kinda refering to jap and euro just didnt state euro... lol i tend to leav things out cuz i'll say what i'm typing and forget to type it.....

KoreanJoey
05-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Think before hitting enter please.

It would make it easier for those of us that want to help you.

I don't mind helping but I don't think I should develop a headache trying to read what you've typed up.

glenn
05-27-2008, 04:39 AM
okay... well anyways i've heard one person from the school and it wasn't good so i'm still having mixed emotions

Shadowlife25
05-27-2008, 05:43 AM
I wouldn't waste my time with UTI. The level of knowledge/experience gained is the bare minimum. Another large factor in my response is the fact that Sally Mae or whatever is their "Financial Aid" program. You will end up in debt for the rest of your natural life.

Take AllTracMan's advice on this one.

KoreanJoey
05-27-2008, 06:36 AM
I think if I were you I'd ask around at dealerships that specialize in cars you're interested in working on. See what they'd like from their employees and go from there. There are a lot of programs that you need to have a sponsor dealership or a working internship.

With T-Ten you have to have an internship while in school.

http://www.toyota.com/about/tten/

91 Celica GT-S
05-27-2008, 08:11 AM
was thinking about going to UTI but went to DADC instead denver automotive diesel college i think its about the same but cheaper and smaller. well schools like these always get a bad rap in the automotive industry cause truth is half the guys are dumb@sses that couldent get into any other school.
a lot of teachers couldent work in the field any more cause of accidents or old age. so they become teachers cause thats the only thing they have ever known. but that doesnt make them good teachers. there are a few that really do like to teach.
if you wanna work at a dealership i recommend a community college like Riverside that has a toyota program. if you dont want to work at a dealer which is full of politics. an associates degree is a good idea. it got me a job working on city busses. but you really need to try to apply yourself and learn ur shit

glenn
05-28-2008, 09:00 AM
well i'm diffently going to have to look into t ten and also yeah ive been pretty much told that the teachers arnt very smart they are older than dirt and really dont give a shit and that guys have came back from there and all they do is change oil.... and well thats just not what i want to end up doing lol so i'm gonna do some more looking around and thanks guys you saved me about 26,000 grand and what ever else money i would of spent living there lol