PDA

View Full Version : Sockets: Mastercraft/Craftsman VS. Mac/Snapon

mikeboot
05-21-2008, 11:07 PM
well what do you guys say? is there a noticable difference? is it actually worth getting a set of snap-on or mac vs the other stuff?

forget the difference in price, and maybe warranty? and just compare tools to tools

alltracman78
05-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Already covered in the topic below yours. ;)

Denver_whiteST185
05-22-2008, 07:59 AM
not really. most of the sockets i break are the some crappy chineese sockets that got mixed into my collection. my craftsman sockets are the best, and their warrenty is great. ive been slowly replacing all my sockets with their new "easy to read" 6-sided sets

KoreanJoey
05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
not really. most of the sockets i break are the some crappy chineese sockets that got mixed into my collection. my craftsman sockets are the best, and their warrenty is great. ive been slowly replacing all my sockets with their new "easy to read" 6-sided sets

LOL... dude, I've had to replace so much craftsman stuff I said screw it and just started throwing them away.

alltracman78
05-23-2008, 08:28 PM
not really.

Yes really.

Most importantly, price is set aside.
If we're comparing price vs quality, I wouldn't recommend Snap On to everyone. If we're JUST comparing quality of tools [which we are], Snap On as a whole is better than Craftsman or any other common manufacturer, no question.
ALL major tool makers have a lifetime warranty. Craftsman isn't anything special in that department. Even the duracrap tools at autocrap have a lifetime warranty....
And, even adside from breakage [which Craftsman IS more prone to than Snap On], there are other things that make one tool better than another. Things like how well the tool grips, how well it works in general [fitting in tight spaces, fit on other tools like extensions, ect], and how comfortable it is in your hand.

KoreanJoey
05-24-2008, 07:42 AM
As far as sockets go I've not had any luck with my Mac chrome sockets. I use them on my 3/8ths impact all the time (psst, don't tell the Mac tool guy) and they've held up just fine, don't round off any bolts, don't break, and they're still shiny.

Rix86
05-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Why are you posting this shit on here, I work with you, dumbass.
Yes, it makes a difference. snap on's sockets are also very very good.
The chrome ones don't hold up well to the IR 3/8 ultra duty though....
I used impact sockets these days because the chromies just don't hold up so well.

donteatbugs
05-25-2008, 05:17 PM
i dont use my sockets on air tools. this makes a big difference on what sockets work better. my craftsman will wear out and break a lot more on air tools than they will just using a hand rachet. i have only broke 3 craftsman sockets and it was all because i was using them in a very extreme manner. i have seen some nice sockets from snapon and mac that last forever even on air tools. but like i said i dont use my tools 8hrs a day 5 days a week so its not a big deal to me what i use as long as it gets the job done.

Rix86
05-25-2008, 07:38 PM
I snap craftsman socket on short hand ratchets.
The only thing I use the crafstman stuff I have at home foris press tools or the deep 10mm for 4ag cam cap bolts... IF I can't find my snappy socket fast enough.

KoreanJoey
05-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Which you never can cause some jackass probably used it and didn't put it back

*note: I am NOT that jackass*

donteatbugs
05-26-2008, 04:49 PM
your bolts are too tight or your too strong if your snapping that many sockets on the short rachets. are they the 6pt or 12pt? ive had to use a cheater pipe every time i broke a socket but im not very strong.

KoreanJoey
05-27-2008, 02:59 AM
If you use the same sockets everyday the stress will eventually get to them. It's just a matter of time. Snappy stuff will take much, much longer to break in comparison to Craftsman.

Dr.Auto
05-27-2008, 04:20 AM
you guys are all too funny. Here it is coming from a professional Master tech of 12 years. When you talk about wrenches or sockets (chromies that is.... and only meant for hand tools)...... NOTHING compares to Snap -ON...............NOTHING. The quality of steel is so far beond any manufacturer. They last longer FOR THE INTENDED PURPOSE and they are more slim line which means they can get jobs done even in the tightest areas that other sockets cant get to. The steel really is that much better that they can may the thickness of the tools that much thinner and still be stronger than the competition.

Of course chrome sockets are for hand use only. And oxide black finish sockets are for impact use.......... where noted. Some black sockets are not for impact use and are noted as such. If you are using chrome sockets on your impact gun then you just simply don't like your impact gun very much. Because you are destroying both socket and gun anval.
I only own snappy wrenches, snappy chrome sockets. I have Matco impacts in 6pt...... have never had to warranty one ever. And thats using the composit IR guns on them daily. I've noticed that 80% of tool breakage is due to useing the tool for a purpose that was unintended. I hardly break anything. I've had Matco wobbly impact sockets and over the course of 8 years I probibly had to get the 12, 13, 14, 15, and 17 warrantied once. And that was the sockets with the pins....... before they went to the new spline setup. Gearwrenches.......... 12, 13, 14, 15, warrenties once over the last 10 years....... Dont know what some of these guys do with their tools. My goodness. I mean common sense tells you to break a fastener loose with a non racheting device. If your breaking rachets or racheting wrenches....theres a reason. Guys just dont get it. Some of these tools are undestructable.

Funniest point. I bought a 1/2" drive 6pt deep metric impact socket set from walmart some 13 or 14 years ago and can't even remember the name brand.... cambell housefield or something like that and have used them on every impact gun I have ever owned for everything under the sun. And I figured when I broke them I would replace them with a "quality" socket. Well.... I've yet to break any of them........ go figure. I kind of think that in 1/2" drive a socket is a socket. Most of them even use the Flank drive cuts in the corners like snappy. But when you move into the 3/8" and 1/4" things change drastically. Only the quality ones will hold up for hand tools. Impact......... I think it's a toss up between the big three. I own mac, macco and snap on in impact for 1/4 and 3/8 and the only one that ever given me probelems is the Mac 10mm deep 1/4". well....... I guess it's because in 13 years..... it just simply wore out. And the mac guy even warrantied it for me....... not because it was broken but because it was worn out. WOW.

(oh an a side note........ understanding warranty policy for each manufacturer really helps......)

donteatbugs
05-27-2008, 04:30 AM
for guys that use your tools everyday to make money i would buy damn good tools. i use my tools for my cars and a couple other peoples maybe 2-3 days a week for less than 3 hrs. my craftman tools dont see a lot of wear and tear. im an electrician and use fluke meters and klein tools. i use them everyday so i get the best. same with mechanic tools. as far as warrenty is concerned i can get new craftsman tools just by getting them warrentied no questions asked. as in i can put my 10m deep well 1/4 drive socket on my 1/2 breaker bar and crack it in half then go get a new laser etched one. i can use my jumbo screwdriver to pry off my transmission and break the tip on it and go get a new one. its that easy.

Dr.Auto
05-27-2008, 03:31 PM
for guys that use your tools everyday to make money i would buy damn good tools. i use my tools for my cars and a couple other peoples maybe 2-3 days a week for less than 3 hrs. my craftman tools dont see a lot of wear and tear. im an electrician and use fluke meters and klein tools. i use them everyday so i get the best. same with mechanic tools. as far as warrenty is concerned i can get new craftsman tools just by getting them warrentied no questions asked. as in i can put my 10m deep well 1/4 drive socket on my 1/2 breaker bar and crack it in half then go get a new laser etched one. i can use my jumbo screwdriver to pry off my transmission and break the tip on it and go get a new one. its that easy.

I agree with this. That is one nice thing about Craftsman. They will replace anything you want for whatever reason broken or not. That is exactly what their warrenty says too. They will replace the tool for any reason if you are dissatisfied with it for any reason. Too bad Mac, Matco, and Snap-on arent like that.
A small amount of trivia. Did you know that Matco is not a tool company that makes their own tools? They are just renamed tools manufactured by other companies. The main company they use for their hand tools is Danaher. Which just happens to be the same company that has the contract for making many of the Craftsman hand tools also. Its funny how much of that happens. Look into Armstrong tools....... I have some Armstrong rathets (Danaher) and they look just like the Matco rathets side by side.

Snap-on on the other hand designs, builds and produces their own hand tools. Unlike everyone else. Remember....I'm talking hand tools.....power tools are differant. everyone uses someone elses power tool with their name on it.

KoreanJoey
05-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Well I know Mac has IR make a lot of their air stuff. I was pretty sure Snappy was one of the few that made their own air stuffs.

Dr.Auto
05-28-2008, 09:10 AM
The air tools depends and what it is. Snappy designs and builds their own "highend" tools. stuff like their sanders are usually relabled Dynabrade sanders. Then the other lower grade stuff like impacks they like to use IR knock offs or relabled. This sometimes also runs into the Bluepoint line which is why Bluepoint seams to have some really good airtools although a little low on power.

Oh yeah....... That Danaher tool company that makes most of the hand tools for Matco and Craftsman(profressional)..... make the professional Napa brand handtools too.