PDA

View Full Version : Car wouldn't start today....help pls

liplip
05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
When i got off work, i turn the key and nothing.It won't even crank.The lights on the dash works.After a few more tries, it finally started but it sounded like it was going to die so i put some gas into it.15 minutes drive home and i had no problem.This is the first time this has ever happened in the 2 yrs i've own this car(1990 Toyota Celica GT).Alternator was changed not even a year ago.

91 Celica GT-S
05-28-2008, 11:52 AM
for a quick check
next time it happens make sure you have enough power
first thing i would do is turn on your headlights or dome light and then try to start it
if the lights go really dim like you never seen before you should start by replacing your battery.
if the lights stay bright go hit your starter with a hammer or something heavy
if it turns on then replace your starter
alternator would set of your battery light so its more than likely fine. fastest check which is not recommended on newer cars is disconnect negative cable to battery while the car is running it should continue running if it turns off replace alternator.

liplip
05-29-2008, 12:42 AM
I figured it out.I think it was the low battery fluid.I filled the battery with distilled water and haven't had the problem for a week now.It could also have been my alarm.I forgot that my alarm has that starter kill switch.Earlier just to check, I tried starting the car with the alarm system on and it did the same thing as was my original problem.The dash lights came on but no crank.