PDA

View Full Version : Matco or Snap-on?

celica9303
05-21-2008, 04:49 AM
which do you like the best between the two? (input from thosse in industry is recommended)

i reallyn cant pick a favorite honestly they both have great tools thought my box and most of my tools are Matco only cuz the snap-on guy never shows when he is soppose too lol so far im very happy with all the matco stuf ive purchased

lets discuss guys(and girls)

Amaymi
05-21-2008, 05:46 AM
For me a big part has to do with the guy in the truck. For a while I just bought from the matco guy because he was a cool guy. He would give freebies everonce in while. For example I lost my little pocket flat head, went to the Matco guy to buy a new one and he just gave me one for free. Along with a free shirt haha. However they just got a new truck guy who's a douche so I've bought a few things off the Snap-on guy. the tools for the most part are of the same quality.
A lot of time, especially with air tools, their stuff is the same thing. E.g. I bought a gun from the Snap-on guy that was just a "rebadged" Ingersoll Rand and the guy in the stall next to me has the same gun only with the Matco name on it.

Audi90Quattro
05-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I have to agree with you celica9303. The tools are all pretty much of the same quality so it comes down to the guys running the trucks. Our snap-on guy shows up maybe once a month, where-as MAC,and Matco are at our shop every week. If I bought something snap-on and needed some warranty work done, I'm not going to wait 2 months to get my tools back. If I dont have tools I'm not making money. If I'm not making money Im sure as hell not buying any tools. It all comes down to whose there first when I need something.

alltracman78
05-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Quality wise, Snap On is definitely better overall.
No question about it, I've got enough of both to know the difference. :)

Air tools are one thing.
Pretty much everyone uses IR for thier good stuff, and I do prefer my Matco guns over the Snap On ones, because they came with a 2 year warranty.
One of the few other things that comes to mind is my Matco swivel sockets.
They are pinless, so spin easier and smoother than the pin type.
As of right now, Snap On doesn't carry these.

Other than that, the Snap On stuff is generally higher quality than the Matco stuff. Fit and finish is better, there's a slightly thicker layer of chrome on the wrenches [IIRC Snap On is 7 layers, while Matco is 5], and the sockets seem to be made of a slightly better alloy.

I'll show you guys some comparisons when I get a chance.

What I will agree on is that Matco [and Mac to some extent] seem to be more eager to earn business. They both know they're not on top, while Snap On knows they are. This shows in the prices as well, which means Snap On isn't necessarily a better overall value, that comes down to personal preference I guess.

celica9303
05-21-2008, 03:47 PM
very nicely said ATman i agree (oh btw the header i bought from you is installed finally and love it, more info on that in na forum)

what about tool box preference? my matco service cart is geting packed with stuff

91GTvert
05-21-2008, 08:46 PM
random input, I own 1, yes 1 tool from either of those companies.
about 3 years ago my mechanic swapped out a battery for my mom one rainy day and left a snap-on 12mm wrench under the hood. I have had it ever since and the overall feel of it is great, there is grip without being abrasive on my hand, it doesn't flex, and I have never rounded off a bolt with it. I can't say the same for my craftsman's. I know this is a snap-on/ matco thread but personally I buy craftsman but always end up having to use the warranty on a lot of the tools after a few months. I have a craftsman club membership (ask about it, they don't advertise this) and the price drops are pretty decent. My 3 ton floor jack (which is rock solid) plus 2 3ton jack stands and a creeper (which feels like memory foam) that you can pull apart into 2 pieces for storage/ transport I paid $89+tax for and it is usually around $130 for that setup. If anyone wants good tools cheap, like I said ask about the craftsman club....its worth it if you buy or need to buy a lot of tools.

hemlocke
05-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Snap-On, hands down. Warranteed tools abound, like Craftsman, but with Snap-On, you don't have to use that guarantee as often. I own Craftsman, because I just wrench on my own cars, but I was raised by a professional mechanic, and he has close to $60,000 in Snap-On tools, and another $15,000 in boxes, and won't use anything else.

KoreanJoey
05-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Snappy, hands down makes a better product. However, our snap on guys instead of just selling tools, decided to be a tool.

And right now we don't have a Matco guy so I end up spending more time on the Mac truck.

celica9303
05-22-2008, 02:37 AM
I've never used Mac before all I have at work a the snap-on truck and Matco

Denver_whiteST185
05-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Im a craftsman guy, but im not a professional mechanic. ive never had a problem with a single one of my craftsman wrenches breaking, and sears has replaced every socket ive busted up without a quesition (i haven't broken that many, maybe half a dozen)
really, i don't see why i need to pay an extra premium for snap on stuff, but then again ive got mostly hand tools (no air tools, and my only electric tool is a dremel my dad got me). ive got well over a grand in tools ive bought though. i think when i start looking into expanding into air tools and electric tools, i'll be looking at some snap-on stuff

KoreanJoey
05-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Im a craftsman guy, but im not a professional mechanic.

really, i don't see why i need to pay an extra premium for snap on stuff
^^^Exactly. Like I said in a different thread, the right tools can make a big difference in how good of a mechanic you can be. I work on cars 5-6 days a week. Sometimes 10-20 cars a day. My snap-on stuff hasn't broke, good luck trying that with craftsman.

Denver_whiteST185
05-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Eh, Iíve done a lot of work with my craftsman stuff, and it hasn't failed me at any point. if I was working on cars all day as a profession, I would probably spend more money on my tools, but as far as price and quality, craftsman stuff works for me and my "hobby" although Iíve gutted and rebuilt my entire car with hand tools :)
I really want to get a nice set of air tools, and Iíll be looking into some quality stuff when that comes around

oh, as far as your other thread, if your planning on tossing anything, feel free to send it my way :p

celica9303
05-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I also have a bunch of craftsman don't feel bad ice bly broke one ratchet of there's ever and that cuz I used it wrong lol

KoreanJoey
05-23-2008, 03:00 AM
Eh, Iíve done a lot of work with my craftsman stuff, and it hasn't failed me at any point. if I was working on cars all day as a profession, I would probably spend more money on my tools, but as far as price and quality, craftsman stuff works for me and my "hobby" although Iíve gutted and rebuilt my entire car with hand tools :)
I really want to get a nice set of air tools, and Iíll be looking into some quality stuff when that comes around

oh, as far as your other thread, if your planning on tossing anything, feel free to send it my way :p

Ha, so I should have some more photos and maybe some new vids of your shiny old wheels in action.

celica9303
05-30-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm looking into finally buying my own 1/2in torque wrench.....what company should I get it from? Snap-on, Matco, or craftsman? For now all it gonna be used for is wheels I do like the snappy techwrench with the angel thing built in just don't know if it worth the money right now I've never seen a Matco one and the craftman is what we have at work ( work at sears lol) never used the craftsman electronic onejust the clicker style. What do you guys use?

KoreanJoey
05-31-2008, 06:49 AM
I've got a Precision Instruments C3 Split beam torque wrench. I can't say anything about it's toughness but it's amazingly convenient.

There's a review here:
http://europeancar.automotive.com/16823/0403ec-tool/index.html

and here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/torque-wrench/

Those of the 3/8ths (C2) but should carry along regardless.

Blackcloud
06-15-2008, 07:41 PM
I mainly buy craftsman stuff myself.. but then again im not a mechanic, and it works just fine for the line of work im in.

But im gonna have to say matco. mainly cuz im biased since my dad was the matco guy, and since i have a tool box loaded with matco stuff sitting in my garage :hehe:

Ryan
07-21-2008, 06:00 PM
i buy from mac and snap on..i dont buy from matco because our matco guy is notoriously "shady"...cornwell has some good stuff too but i like to stick to just 2 tool guys,.....

Blackcloud
11-26-2008, 04:58 AM
.i dont buy from matco because our matco guy is notoriously "shady"...

sucks for matco that one of their guys can screw the companys rep up. makes me wonder how many other shady tool guys there is

Ryan
11-26-2008, 06:08 AM
I heard a story about this guy in particular that made me have this feeling about him.

Apparently where a friend of mine worked, a guy quit, dissapeared off the face of the earth, and ended up stiffing the matco guy with the bill.

Well the matco guy decided to tack the bill onto my friends account and said that this was his bill and made him pay it and threatened legal action if he didnt.

celica9303
05-09-2012, 04:07 AM
Well its been a few years since ive been in industry, lot has changed. Seriously looking into a new box/cart as mine is over flowing

Like the "quality" of my matco cart.... best purchase ive made.

Looking at the matco 4s double bay or a snapon double bay. Or should I get another cart with more drawers?