PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Read....

extremeskillz
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Well as you know gas hit $129 a barrel today. I was reading up on electric car technology and found this interesting and wanted to share.

http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1453

This guy who does these conversions can do basically any car besides porsche. His site is here www.coolgreencar.net.

Enjoy and discuss. Would be interested in some Celica owners who have done an EV conversion! He's down in Florida so you Florida folks should check his place out.

Enjoy and Discuss.......

3SmeCaptain
05-20-2008, 05:42 PM
i think the ONLY reason why i would be turned away is that the price.

to some, maybe not, but if you look at it in the view of someone who just purchased a new vehicle and paid in fully, chances are they're not going to have much after that.

last i knew though, there was an epidemic of EV cars from GM down in Cali for a while. Toyota, Ford and Honda all joined in on the action too and then all of a sudden people realized they couldn't actually buy the car, only lease or rent it and then out of nowhere all the cars were taken back and then crushed for no good reason. there were protesting groups all over the place and apparently the car companies had told these people that they weren't going to do anything to the vehicles, that they were being recalled for further testing. protesters followed the shipping trucks to crushing sites and being crushed.

it's good to see some people out there see the potential in EV cars. if i had the money to do it, i'd probably pick the smallest, lightest and most aerodynamic vehicle possible that he can work with so that i could get the most out of the system and be on the basis of just getting somewhere.

extremeskillz
05-20-2008, 05:48 PM
There were EV's for a while by GM. They pulled the plug. .........watch Who Killed the Electric Car.........Funny you drive a xB! www.acpropulsion.com has done a xB EV conversion.

3SmeCaptain
05-21-2008, 10:29 PM
WOW they made the xB heavy... 2,300lbs to nearly 3,000lbs.