PDA

View Full Version : Are Lambo doors legal in Mass?

92gt fyrewallker
05-20-2008, 01:46 AM
Hi everyone,

I been searching the web and can't find an answer to this. Does anyone know whether or not Lambo doors are legal in Massachusetts.
I checked the motor vehicle website with no success.

I don't know if I would get them but i'd like to know if i should even think about it thanks

extremeskillz
05-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Well i never heard of them being illegal. If they were illegal it would be the fact you modifying the cars door for other then keeping you in the car. But kits now a days already address this and offer the same if not better safety to the car. But for the most part I've never heard of them being illegal so i think your safe. I'm not a big fan of them and there starting to be over played. I like seeing them every once in a while at a show on a car that fits the use of a lambo kit but for the most part its starting to get old.

92gt fyrewallker
05-20-2008, 02:05 AM
I like them but i know what you mean. Luckily in my area they aren't common place. But I know my luck if i were to get them then I'll start seeing them everywhere.
I was curious about the legality in Mass because this state has restrictions on things that may seem normal other places. And thats why i'm asking here because I can't seem to find anything to the contrary

Thanks

KoreanJoey
05-20-2008, 02:33 AM
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/3243/Lambo-Doors-So-Played-Out.jpg

Mr Celica
05-20-2008, 02:43 AM
no idea about the legal stuff.

what part of mass you from?

extremeskillz
05-20-2008, 03:23 AM
Joey I was looking for that lolz. That hit me the first time i read this thread haha.

METDeath
05-20-2008, 03:28 AM
Well, simply way to find out, is walk in to your local police department and ask, if not, try asking at your local library. Plus it'll make the librarians feel useful for a change.

VikingJZ
05-20-2008, 03:39 AM
That was the best ricer demotivator ever.

They are legal in every state from what I recall. Your best bet for if you live in a state with safety/emissions checks is to call the place that does your checks and ask them. If they say there isn't a law, then you're in the clear.

Now, are they tasteful or cool? That's your call, but I vote no. That picture sums it up though. I haven't seen vertical doors on a car since a Countach or something of those lines. Civics are about it, because its a ricer mobile.

Please don't disgrace the Celica.

PhillyDRFT
05-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Tommy's 5th gen pulls off lambo doors pretty well.

He's one of the very few cars I've seen with aftermarket lambo doors that I've liked though.

As far as I know there aren't many laws regarding the conversion since it's only a hinge being changed, The locking mechanisms all stay the same. IF you change any of that then you will have to go through a state certified safety inspection.

Adversely Suicide doors have a lot of laws regarding them. (Atleast in PA) Where you need to add a deadbolt locking the door to the frame / Fender aprons. And a few safety releases.

It's a bad idea imho, They are a nightmare to deal with especially on a daily basis. You're driver side hinge is going to wear out before the passenger side. (obviously you'll use it more) Most kits aren't made from good quality billet, They are cheaply cast . Most likely from Chinese metals. Resulting in premature sag/ Hinge fatigue. If you leave OEM hinges alone they will usually outlast the life of the car.

Once your doors start to sag you'll end up gaining weird air and water leaks around your door seams. Whistling at highway speeds. floorboard rust from settling moisture under the carpets and insulation.

Using them is just a pain in the ass also, it only takes one light wind gust to yank your door wile it's up to bend the hinge. I can't tell you how many I've fixed for friends.

End of story it's all your decision. They can be done well and look nice if thats your thing. They also have a lot of drawbacks and take a great deal of care for longevity and installation. So just make sure you've thought it out from all angles before you take a step ahead.

Good luck!

geebes
05-20-2008, 05:37 AM
They should be illegal...based on how lame they are. That would get very annoying very quickly.

celicaGT90_05
05-20-2008, 05:41 AM
I hope you realize geebes that you are able to open the door regularly even with the mechanism installed.

Cavanagh
05-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Yea, not only are they tacky, but a real safety hazard in a roll over. LMAO KJ, i was dying at that picture. :laugh:

KoreanJoey
05-20-2008, 08:06 AM
I couldn't help it... It was the perfect picture for this thread.

geebes
05-20-2008, 05:19 PM
I hope you realize geebes that you are able to open the door regularly even with the mechanism installed.

Yeah, but then what would be the point of having them at all? Which proves my point that they are lame.

ciento44
05-20-2008, 05:33 PM
I want Delorean doors....

VikingJZ
05-20-2008, 06:18 PM
hey McFly

Suicide doors are called suicide doors for a reason...lol.

I hate all of them in any incarnation

celicaGT90_05
05-20-2008, 07:48 PM
^ DMC doors arent suicide, suicide are doors that open backwards

Yeah, but then what would be the point of having them at all? Which proves my point that they are lame.

Well one point would be if you got them for show, but dont like to open them like that all the time. Im not defending them because they are overly played out, but just giving an instance

I want Delorean doors....

you can get them, they are called gullwing

ciento44
05-20-2008, 08:09 PM
you can get them, they are called gullwing

I had simply no idea. :zombie:

celicaGT90_05
05-20-2008, 08:13 PM
^ yes, cuz the way you said the original post sure made it seem like you were sarcastic... :bird:

ciento44
05-20-2008, 08:23 PM
^ yes, cuz the way you said the original post sure made it seem like you were sarcastic... :bird:

I just like the image of them on the Delorean better rather than the old Mercedes 300SL, so i call them delorean doors, because i'm a balla, shot calla, 20 inch blades on mah impala

geebes
05-20-2008, 08:29 PM
because i'm a balla, shot calla, 20 inch blades on mah impala
A caller gettin laid tonight
Swisher rolled tight, got sprayed by Ike??

ciento44
05-20-2008, 08:42 PM
A caller gettin laid tonight
Swisher rolled tight, got sprayed by Ike??

Yeah, i'm so disgusted at myself for having that stuck in my head...

celicaGT90_05
05-20-2008, 08:56 PM
gullwing doors dont look good on many cars, but the delorean is one that does

PhillyDRFT
05-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Anyone notice the disappearance of the OP?

The thread got pretty far off topic.

geebes
05-21-2008, 03:57 AM
Yeah, i'm so disgusted at myself for having that stuck in my head...

OMG, its been in my head all day...F**K you man!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CelicaHero
05-29-2008, 07:12 AM
i live in mass and i'm pritty sure they arent illegal. i've seen them before. but why would u waste ur money on them. and that picture is priceless, especially because i hate civics with a passion. i swear to god where i live they are everywhere and there all pos rust buckets.

celicaGT90_05
05-29-2008, 07:28 AM
i live in mass and i'm pritty sure they arent illegal. i've seen them before. but why would u waste ur money on them. and that picture is priceless, especially because i hate civics with a passion. i swear to god where i live they are everywhere and there all pos rust buckets.

thats cuz they last forever. Why exactly do you hate them?

CelicaHero
05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
i'm not sayin civics are bad car but if you saw the ones where i live you might understand why. there all riced out to the max, complete with rust. there all done in pour taste. there is one with this paint job that makes it look like a can of red bull with a massive carbon fiber wing. and there usually driven by assholes. i'm also a fan of originality and every single civic in my town has cut springs and pep boy rims.

ciento44
05-29-2008, 05:47 PM
i'm not sayin civics are bad car but if you saw the ones where i live you might understand why. there all riced out to the max, complete with rust. there all done in pour taste. there is one with this paint job that makes it look like a can of red bull with a massive carbon fiber wing. and there usually driven by assholes. i'm also a fan of originality and every single civic in my town has cut springs and pep boy rims.

I don't understand the lack of rice in Indianapolis, then.... everyone complains about civics.

Here, it's a cliche to have a boosted clean b-series swapped full jdm conversion civic....

The Mustang/Camaro guys won't even pick on the civics anymore because they know that most of them are faster than them.