PDA

View Full Version : Wax Anyone?

Cavanagh
05-19-2008, 06:14 AM
I know that the "What is the better wax" Threads are probably as common as the "What mods can i do for the 5sfe?" ones, so instead of asking whats "the best" since that can be argued for DAYS on end, what does everyone use? Soap and Wax? I have been using Turtle wax products. Turtle wax soap and there Ice Wax. I like the ICE, but the soap is not sudsy enough. I used some Meguiars Carnauba wax on my fathers 99' C280 and it seemed to do the trick, or it could have been the fact his car was filthy! So gimme some opinions, brands, stuff used (as in sponges or whatever).
Thanks.

tuner4life
05-19-2008, 06:00 PM
I use ArmorAll Powerwash Gel with the wash mit. It is cool because you just get the car and mitt really wet then sqiurt the soap on the mitt and rub the car down then rinse. Works great.

As for wax I use either Dupont Teflon liquid Wax, or meguiars Gold class liquid wax.

I used ICE once and I wasn't impressed, I couldn't get the swirls out as I was buffing it back off. Might have had something to do with the fact that it was the GF's car and hadn't been waxed in a couple of years. I'll try to use it again sometime and see what I think. But I really like the Megiars liquid Gold class best!!

Audi90Quattro
05-19-2008, 10:47 PM
I always love to chime in on these threads so heres my take. For soap the more lubricity it has the better it is and less likely that any dirt or contaminant will leave a fine scratch. My 3 go to soaps are Megs. Gold Class, Danase Gloss Amplifying Shampoo, and Duragloss 901. Two of them are OTC with the Danase being local to me but ships nationwide.

Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash- 4/5 Picked up a gallon of this stuff for under $4 on clearance so I thought I'd give it a shot. Smelled really good and was very slippery. I was disappointed it wasn't as foamy as other soaps I've used, and after washing on a hot day, noticed it streaked heavily if it started drying before a heavy rinse. For the price it was definitely worth it.

Duragloss #901 - 3.5/5 I decided to try this one after trying some of their other products. I was thoroughly impressed with Aquawax so I had higher expectations for this soap to be foamier than Gold Class. I bought it at carquest for $8/gal. It has a very nice cherry scent (think black magic tire shine) and did a decent job of removing the dirt. I didn't find it as smooth as the GOld Class but it did a nice job of not streaking. I decided to use this one instead through a foam gun and found it better than before but too expensive to be using full strength .

Danase Gloss Amplifying Shampoo- 5/5 This is by far my favorite shampoo. Has a great grape smell and leaves the car shiny when it dries. Very slippery and pretty foamy make it a great combo for hand or foam gun use. Danase makes quite a few of his own products and they all work great, especially his Danase Wet Glaze.

Cavanagh
05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
hey thanks, im prolly going to go pick up some Meguiars Gold Class then.

As for wax, im still not sure what to use. My buddy HATES ICE, but then alot of people seem to also. You have any suggestions for wax?

VikingJZ
05-24-2008, 09:50 PM
For a wash, I just take it up town to Super Wash and run through all the cycles with the DIY bays and high pressure hose. Works great for my car. I then dry the car with the new blue AquaDry drying town (Similar to a chamoise towel, but doesn't rip apart). After that I take the car home to the garage and remove dust from the short trip home with a dust brush and then wax.

To me, wax depends on the color of the car. For black or dark color cars that show flaws, I use Mother's California Gold in the tin can that you swiped out (hard density). Smells like cherries and works well. Let it dry all the way and you don't have streaks. And actually, the Mother's FX spray wax works REALLY well after you have hard waxed the car within the previous three months. For most other cars I like standard Turtle Wax hard wax. I'm not a fan of liquid wax anymore for streak reasons.