PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue?

Nightfire
05-17-2008, 02:09 AM
If I keep the pedal to the floor and crank it for about a minute or so a puff of white smoke comes out the exhaust, then it starts but runs rough and dies if you let off the gas completely, but revs high if you let off the gas about half way. It will do this for about a minute and then it will rev up, idle fine, and then run fine. It will start without problems if it is only shut off for a short time, anything longer than two or three hours and it will go through this entire process again. While it is cranking you can here a ticking sound that sounds like it's coming from the distributor cap, fortunately I have an extra igniter, coil, and distributor from my engine swap so I'm going to swap them one at a time and see what happens. I think the plugs are getting flooded and fouled out because it acts like a two stroke dirt bike when the plugs are fouled.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Nightfire
05-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Ok, I've been messing with this all day. I replaced the plugs, they were pretty nasty. I swapped the coil, igniter, distributor cap, and ECU's. I did the test for the fuel pump and it's good. I tested the spark at the cap and it's good. I took the hose off the engine side of the fuel filter and the fuel flows fine. The only thing that I saw that wasn't good was the gas almost looked like sweet tea. I'm going to drain, drop, and clean the tank tomorrow.
Any other suggestions?

alltracman78
05-19-2008, 03:03 AM
Did you check the fuel flow after it had been sitting for a few hours?
There's a check valve in the pump that's supposed to hold pressure for a bit.
There's also the possibility there's a restriction in the fuel system somewhere, like the filter.

Nightfire
05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Did you check the fuel flow after it had been sitting for a few hours?
There's a check valve in the pump that's supposed to hold pressure for a bit.
There's also the possibility there's a restriction in the fuel system somewhere, like the filter.

No, I didn't check the fuel flow after a few hours, but I did drop the tank yesterday. The damn shop that put my engine in replaced the fuel pump but not the pump screen, it was dryrotted so bad my finger went through it when I touched it. I got a new one to put on. I also rinsed out the tank, I had to get a putty knife and scrape some of the crap about a 1/4 inch thick off the bottom, and I scraped allot of the rust off that I could get to with my arm in the pump and filler neck holes. Do you know of anything I can spray inside to coat it? I know I coated the inside of an old motorcycle tank once but it's allot easier to spin that around to coat it evenly.

Nightfire
05-30-2008, 03:38 AM
Ok, I put the tank back in today and it's doing the same thing as before. I did however do the test for the fuel pump by shorting it out and it works then, but I don't hear it when turning the car on without it shorted out. I replaced the fuel pump relay and nothing different. I started the car with it shorted out and after couple minutes the idle smoothed out and was fine, (no puff of smoke this time) I'll see if it has any issues tomorrow after sitting overnight. Any suggestions on that one, any problem with leaving the jumper wire in the fuel pump?

Also, there is a distinct tapping sound coming from the MAF while it's trying to start and now even when it starts. Anybody got anything for this one? I have another one from my swap I'm going to put in tomorrow and see if it still makes the noise.

Nightfire
06-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Well, I put the fuel pump relay in from my JDM wiriing harness and it works fine now, and no more ticking from the MAF. I took the fuel pump relay that advance auto gave me that they had to cross reference numbers to find back!

alltracman78
06-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Glad to hear you got it figured out. :)

Just another reason to not trust Advanced [or autocrap].

Nightfire
06-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Glad to hear you got it figured out. :)

Just another reason to not trust Advanced [or autocrap].

That's the third wrong part they gave me between my cars and bikes in the last 6 months!