PDA

View Full Version : Almost Darwin award...

ciento44
05-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Before i actually divulge the story....

Aaron, do you remember if i ever tightened down the bolts that hold the calipers on the arm? :zombie:

Idiot Stick
05-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Uh oh. :S

ciento44
05-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Well, whatever, i'll just tell the story.

Whether it was really Darwin-ism or not, i'm not real sure.

Anyways, i was driving home last night in the driving rain (get it?) from work, and got about 5 miles down the road, maybe a mile from the 465 onramp from 65S. I hear an really loud bang, and heard something bounce off the back of my car. No biggie, Indiana roads suck and i hit large pebbles all the time. I think nothing of it.

About 30 seconds later, i start hearing "Whump... Whump... Whump whump whump whump whumpwhumpwhumpwhumpwhupwhupwhupwhup."

Crap. Flat?

I start to merge over to get on the shoulder to check it out. Keep in mind i'm still going about 70mph at this point.

SCCRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEE

One of my front tires locked completely up, and starts dragging me all over the highway at 70mph. I'm shitting myself at this point.

Finally, after leaving ridiculous skid marks across three lanes of traffice for about 300 feet, i wrestle the thing to a stock on the median. Sit there until my heart comes out of my nose and goes back to my chest.

I got out of the car, gave it a good looking over. Nothing. Looks perfect, besides the one pretty scuffed tire. Everything is in it's place, and i could even push the car forward, everything rolled fine.

Errmmm..... ok. So i got back in the car, figuring whatever made it lock up was dislodged now. (Stupid.) Started accelerating in the median to merge back in. Got up to about 25mph.

SCREEEEEEEECH.
Stopped dead again.

WTF.

I took a closer look at the wheel. This time, i notice that there's a shiny metal gouge all the way around the inside of that wheel, and there's a matching flat spot on my caliper. Sooo.... i grab the caliper (burning myself in the process) and notice that OMFG it just rotated away from the hub and out towards the wheel. I've somehow managed to lose the top bolt that connects the caliper to the arm right there, and it was now just rotating on the bottom bolt. It was jamming against my rim hard enough to stop it dead in it's tracks at 70mph.

I start freaking out, because i didn't have any tools with me, the car has been dead nuts reliable, actually better than my white one so far, and i didn't have my phone because i don't bring it to work.

In the meantine, about 12 cops have gone by without stopping, and in the lane closest to me. Thanks Indiana's finest!! Finally, a cop comes through. He didn't look like he was going to stop, then he did what looked like an e-brake assisted stop, put on his lights, and backed up to in front of me.

I ran up to him, and he rolled down his window.

"Everything ok, can i help you?"
"Uhhmmmm..... can i borrow your phone?"
He starts to hand me his work phone.

"Oh wait, use this one, sorry about the axle grease all over it." Sweet, got the right guy.

Called my buddy, he said he would be on the way. Cop starts talking to me.

"Saw your skid marks back there, car looks ok, what's going on?"
"Lost a bolt to my brake caliper, it jammed against my wheel."
"Oh holy SHIT!"
"Yeah, no kidding."
"You gonna be ok?"
"Yeah, buddy is on the way, we're going to rig something up and limp it home."
"Alright, i'm going to send someone back here in about half an hour to make sure you're ok."

I thanked him and he left. About that time, it started like deluge like crazy.

Buddy got there, and we had a HELL of a time getting the lug nuts off. (Aaron, remember how i managed to break that tire iron? Remember how i got your nuts off when no one else could? that sounded kindof gross, i apologize.) My friend Terrin (Big Boy.) was jumping on the ratchet in order to get them off.

We didn't have another bolt on hand to put in there, sooooooo...... Yep. We put the bottom bolt in the top location. This way, the rotor would be dragging down on the caliper, keep it from swinging up and forward. I drove it home like that, and happened to have an extra couple bolts from the pair of calipers i have lying around. Did a quick job in the apartment parking lot, and now we're good to go.

So.... possible causes:

1) Indiana roads suck. That section of highway has huge expansion joints, potholes, and large ridges over bridges. It's awful with how stiff my car is. I physically cringe every time i hit a few of them, there's no ovoiding them all. Bolt may have:
a) rattled loose and fell out
b) snapped and fell out (doubt it, bottom would have had to snapped, too, i think)
Interesting to note, the bottom bolt WAS loose, and actually, the ones on the driver's side weren't extremely tight either. They wouldn't have come out anytime soon, but they weren't tight.

Or, and quite honestly, i think this to be more likely....

I didn't tighten them down properly. As Aaron remembers, the day i did my brake pads, was the day we were leaving for the Dragon, and i had a number of setbacks, including popping a piston out of the caliper. I was in a hurry, needed to get my tires mounted still.

This is a mistake i would NEVER make, and have NEVER made while working on anyone else's car. Unfortunately, because one may think they aren't endangering anyone else when they're doing work on their car, i know i'm guilty of, and a lot of my friends are guilty of not taking the same car on their cars as they do others.

Moral? Slow the F down when working on your car, or you may almost be a Darwin contender as well.

zen
05-16-2008, 05:05 PM
wow, you know what funny? About 5 months ago, this is what happened to me too. the top bolt of the caliper fell off while i was driving. i wasn't going that fast though, but the caliper did lodge itself in between my rim also. i pulled over to the side thinking it was my transmission (being that my automatic transmission already had problems and was on the verge giving up) because it was clinking at first (which turned out to be my caliper scrapping up against the spokes of my rim). What sucks the most is that i had just gotten new rims and tires put on so now they are all scratched up, well on the underside of the rims at least. now, im more than careful when i work on the celica and i double check everything before putting things back together again.

grayscale
05-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Wow, speechless. I'm just glad you're not writing this from a hospital bed.

Cavanagh
05-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Ya Ben, your pretty lucky i must say. Glad yout Ok and its a quick fix.

ciento44
05-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Ya Ben, your pretty lucky i must say. Glad yout Ok and its a quick fix.

Thanks bubs.

Any luck yet on a car? You'll see the black car next weekend and you can tell me what you think about it. I'm not pressuring to sell it, i'd like to keep it at this point. But more just to show what a GT vs. ST is all about. :p

I'll try to tighten up a few of the rattles first. :hehe:

Shadowlife25
05-16-2008, 10:38 PM
FAIL Ben :hehe: Really though I am glad you're okay. I have to go right now, but I'll post my OH SHIT!!!! moment later tonight. It's related ;)

VikingJZ
05-17-2008, 03:14 AM
Dude that sucks.

I remember being able to break your lugs off when we sat there for hours.

OMFG that sucks.

For serious.

I'm going to have to come down for a visit in a few weeks after I get back.

lol

Why you no call ho?

VikingJZ
05-17-2008, 03:18 AM
Oh yeah dude......check your alignment too so you don't loose those 8,000 mile rated tires.

:D

3SmeCaptain
05-17-2008, 10:00 AM
reminds me of my buddy's supra.

his mother needed a car for a day some time back and wrecked it under-estimating it's power and doing so on a wet road, this being my buddy's first supra. so with the insurance money, we got a new MK3 *same as the wrecked one* but had a 7MGTE with a dropped rod and the journals on the crank were crapped. helped him replace the old 7M with a newer jdm 7M.

see now... my buddy is has MS and has ADD... so i was there to help him with most of the big stuff. nearing the finishing touches, i needed to head back home *just over an hour drive one way* and told him a few things to keep in mind before he starts driving his baby again. my buddy lives in a farm area with a looonnng and dusty dirt road as a drive way for about a mile before he gets up to paved road.

he gunned it down and then back up this drive way of his... without putting a filter cone on his intake inlet on his turbo. so a few weeks ago as i was riding with him to pick up his girl, all of a sudden a LOUD screeching noise and the engine starts to bog down pretty bad.we pulled over with a VERY rough idle and i had him pop the hood. at first glance told a horror story. some of the dirtiest and slimiest oil i've ever seen juuussst poring out of the turbo inlet and a teeth grinding scrapping sound of the spun bearings just grinding away. ofcourse, still no cone and the car has been driving for a couple months by now. the oil felt like "magic mud" *if you've never heard of it, it's a kids thing. you take flower and use alot of water. make a puddle with it. you move you finger really fast through it, it'll resist and be a pain to push anymore while if you go slow, it stays watery* and you could feel the dirt built up in it. the engine was bogging down because there was so much crap oil blocking the inlet that the engine was being choked out.

we all forget something at one point or another. you could have the highest rep in your area yet your moment just hasn't come yet. that one time your woman is nagging at you because you're not inside watching the movie with her *no relative event behind this, this is only an example* or for your case, being a little later then wanted for a "late but casual entrance". hell, i've almost drove off without tightening down my wheel lugs before :P.

it's good to hear that you weren't hurt in the process! i think if it were me, i'd be asking the cop to go grab me a new pair of pants because i've given a whole to meaning to poop stains.

KoreanJoey
05-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh yeah dude......check your alignment too so you don't loose those 8,000 mile rated tires.

:D

Have you silly bastards not heard of a torque wrench?

Honestly at 80ft/lbs it should NOT seize a lug nut on there.

VikingJZ
05-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Hey doo we had like three tools....lol

Ben and I are both p00r

ciento44
05-19-2008, 03:51 PM

I didn't torque them on there....

Car sat for 2 years before i got it, so who knows what they were cranked at. probably impacted on. :p

ciento44
05-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Dude that sucks.

I remember being able to break your lugs off when we sat there for hours.

OMFG that sucks.

For serious.

I'm going to have to come down for a visit in a few weeks after I get back.

lol

Why you no call ho?

Booted roomate. Rent > phone bill.

VikingJZ
05-19-2008, 04:04 PM
So now you don't have a telephizzle.

That sucks.

ciento44
05-19-2008, 04:18 PM
So now you don't have a telephizzle.

That sucks.

You can call Crystal. :hehe: She's done with sk00l, so she's always around and ready to talk. She misses your calls.

I should have teh fonez back on today/tomorrow.

METDeath
05-19-2008, 05:10 PM

I did that to mine before the dragon meet, put springs on the weekend before. Sometime between that weekend and Sunday, I lost two lugs on my front passenger side. I only found out 'cause Murg told me about it... which that was an oh shit moment, seeing as I driven the Dragon three times, and not sure where I lost them... I could have easily lost a wheel, which would have sucked hard, especially on the Dragon.

Bad part is... I torqued 'em twice to 80ft/lbs.

Teach me to use my friend's torque wrench again.

tuner4life
05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
That sucks, At least it didnt happen on the dragon!!

VikingJZ
05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah and I'm glad I didn't have a blow out on the Dragon.