PDA

View Full Version : Probably a stupid question..........

Simonhla
05-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Despite my excessive reading of this site and searching on the internet I am still basically completely stumped as to what are the best wheels and tires for my car.

I have a 1992 White Celica GT. It has no modifications and I say that in specific reference to that fact that it has NOT been lowered. I may do it one day but am happy with it stock. It has some seriously fugly 195/65/15's on it right now and I am looking to get some decent rims and tires.

But alas I am clearly not very smart because for all the threads on here about it I am still none the wiser as to what I should pick. So far I think I have ascertained that 17"would be too big because my car isn't lowered, and I know I want bigger than 15. So that, funnily enough led me to 16" rims. 16x7.

Then tire width. The 195's are so narrow and I know 205's are stock. I like the wider tires I think they look better and I am sure they will handle better so I was thinking 215's.

Final Sidewall ratio and I would rather have low profiles because I think they look a lot better but I don't want to be riding on eleastic bands and lets face it I need something reasonably comfortable, durable yet stylish. So I thought 45.

There you have it 215/45/16.

Is there ANY sense to my logic and is anyone running anything similar? Any insights would be helpful. I am going for fairly low key rims (silver but not too shiny...Chrome, bronze, black, white are all out of the question because I don't want them too look too out of place). My budget is pants because I am rebuilding the engine so I found these on tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&showRear=no&filterSize=16&filterFinish=&filterSpecial=&filterNew=&initialPartNumber=KSE552154S&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Celica+GT&autoYear=1992&autoModClar=

Thoughts? The only tire there I could afford to come with them are a Hantook Venus Rs-2. Any good?

Iam eager to make a decision quickly so please, please you Celica Tech geniuses take pity on me and help me out.

I've trawled through some many pictures on celica sites and it seems that most people have their cars lowered, which doesn't help me. Bottom line is will these fit and will they look good?

Simonhla
05-16-2008, 01:50 AM
As an addendum I have now discovered that if I go 215/40/16 I can save some serious cash and get the Sumitomo HTR's for only $56ea. They have a good tread rating and reasonable reviews on Tirerack. Are they total sh*t though for that price? And is 215/40/16 a good size for a stock 5th gen GT? Is the profile too low?

sheep
05-16-2008, 03:57 AM
i went kinda the cheap rount on my car, i kept the 14inch stock size but went with the MB Seven X's and since i kept the stock size with rim i just went with the stock size tire 185/65/14 which are generally cheap and you have alot of options of what you can get as far as tires so if you want something with a little more preformance then you can if you just want something to get you by i just put kumho kr21s on which did awesome in the snow and griped pretty good and were pretty cheap, just my 2 cents.

most people go with 17s

Mr Celica
05-16-2008, 04:03 AM
those tires are only W rated. you usually get what you pay for. spend the extra cash on some max performance tires with a Y speed rating. I have the BFGoodrich g-force sports and i love them. they are only $96 a piece which is a decent price. The pirelli pzeros are on closeout too, so you can pick them up for 76 a piece. those are a lot better than those sumitomos.

recomended tire size on 16" rims for your car is 205/50. 215/40 for 17s. i think 215/40s would be too skinny on a 16" rim... it would lower your car. stick with at least a 45 for 16" wheels. don't go any wider than 225 either, you'll start rubbing.

Simonhla
05-16-2008, 04:34 AM
Thank you so far for the responses.
I definitely needed to take the speed ratings into account.
It is hard to find the right tire and wheel whilst still fitting everything into a reasonable budget. SO a couple of quick questions that I still need answered:

Are 17's too big for a 5th gen GT that isn't lowered? Should I stick with 16's?

If so it seems that as you say the 205/50/16 are the recommended for that wheel size so should I follow recommendation? If I keep the profile at 50 but increase the width to 215 would that matter? I seem obsessed with width I know but my sense it that for looks and for handling they are better.......????

iwamaryu
05-16-2008, 05:05 AM
hey guys on this topic does rim width matter? cause the over width of your tire is depended on the tire width not rim width right? for eg. whats the different if you had 220/30/18 on 18x7in rims or 220/30/18 on 18x8in rims?

Okctrd
05-16-2008, 05:57 AM
check out these it will visually show you how the tires will look compared to your stock size.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

As for tires, you can look at http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do not bad on the prices and free shipping.

tuner4life
05-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Mine are 17"x7" MB Wheels, SevenX. They have cheap Barum tires (205/40/ZR17).

If you plan on driving the car every day, I would suggest getting 16" rims though, Although Cali probably has better roads than here.

extremeskillz
05-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm rollin on Motegi 18x8 with Hankook 215/35hr/18. awesome combo although i wish i went 225/35hr/18.

StormyBklyn
05-16-2008, 07:00 PM
I had 17" Konigs on my old 90 GT (it wasn't lowered) and 16" Konigs on my old 92 GT (again, not lowered). I will never go above 16's on a Celica again. I found that the 16" wheels are perfect. They look good, have a low profile tire that isn't too low profile, and I don't have to worry that I will bend the lips every time I drive the car on crappy NYC roads.
And right now I have 225/55R15's on the All Trac (dropped 1.5"), and 215/65R14's on the GT (not lowered).
I would love to get wider tires, but I think on the stock rims I'm just about pushing it.

Simonhla
05-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I had 17" Konigs on my old 90 GT (it wasn't lowered) and 16" Konigs on my old 92 GT (again, not lowered). I will never go above 16's on a Celica again. I found that the 16" wheels are perfect. They look good, have a low profile tire that isn't too low profile, and I don't have to worry that I will bend the lips every time I drive the car on crappy NYC roads.
And right now I have 225/55R15's on the All Trac (dropped 1.5"), and 215/65R14's on the GT (not lowered).
I would love to get wider tires, but I think on the stock rims I'm just about pushing it.

Thanks, this was extremely helpful information. And thank you to everyone who replied.

In the end I got a pretty bitchin' pair of rims. 5 spoke, silver painted (NOT CHROME!!!) simple design as I don't want them to look out of place. Went with 16" and with a 215/45/16 tire. The tires are Hankook Ventus R-S2. So I expect some good handling.

Got them off tirerack.com and they whole package comes shipped, mounted and balanced for $900. (Paid a little extra for fast shipping). I'm pretty happy.

ciento44
05-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks, this was extremely helpful information. And thank you to everyone who replied.

In the end I got a pretty bitchin' pair of rims. 5 spoke, silver painted (NOT CHROME!!!) simple design as I don't want them to look out of place. Went with 16" and with a 215/45/16 tire. The tires are Hankook Ventus R-S2. So I expect some good handling.

Got them off tirerack.com and they whole package comes shipped, mounted and balanced for $900. (Paid a little extra for fast shipping). I'm pretty happy.

I run 16 inch tires in 215/45-16s in Hankook Ventus RS2-Z212.

7th gen Celica GT-S wheels, also 5-spoke.

I say, good choice. :)

Simonhla
05-18-2008, 11:03 PM
I run 16 inch tires in 215/45-16s in Hankook Ventus RS2-Z212.

7th gen Celica GT-S wheels, also 5-spoke.

I say, good choice. :)

Thanks. Glad to see someone else is running them successfully.

The roads in Los Angeles are so very bad that there is no way I could go with 17" rims. I can't believe the amount of people here that still run them and end up with damaged and bent rims.

Mr Celica
05-18-2008, 11:39 PM
try having 18s and living in NH :(

METDeath
05-19-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm happy with my 17x7s (215/40), but I wish I held out for some 16x7s and some decent sidewall tires.

I've run them on stock springs, and am currently on Eibach Sportlines (1.5" drop) and while I liked the handling improvement on stock, with the springs the handling was increased for a while, but has become slightly skateboardish.

extremeskillz
05-19-2008, 01:48 AM
try having 18s and living in NH :(

trust me. i look like a drunk avoiding pots holes, but i go the extra mile for my baby!

Mr Celica
05-19-2008, 03:01 AM
^haha yea i can relate to you with that. although i wasn't so lucky this winter :(