PDA

View Full Version : how to put a fuel pressure regulator on stock rail?

iwamaryu
05-15-2008, 02:21 PM
hey can someone tell me how to put a fuel pressure regulator on a stock rail? if any one got pictures or diagrams on how to do this that would be helpfull.

88st165
05-15-2008, 02:56 PM
are you talking about replacing a stock fpr on the stock rail? Or putting an aftermarket fpr while keeping the stock rail?

iwamaryu
05-15-2008, 03:07 PM
sorry my bad. putting an after market adjustabble fuel presure regulator on the stock rail

Shadowlife25
05-15-2008, 06:18 PM
lovehorsepower.com

He is a member of the Mr2 boards and has done a how to video on exactly this. Check it out and let us know how it went for you.

Out of curiosity though, why the interest in this mod? (really, just curious)

Carolina91GT-S
05-16-2008, 02:17 AM
+1 for lovehorsepower, it's a great resource. Joe has good info for tuning the 3SGTE. He does have a good video on FPR replacement, he even sells a complete kit.

Also, relating to this and your other thread about carbon buildup... Read up on the lovehorsepower water injection stuff too. The main reasons for doing it are that it effectively increases the octane of your fuel which you are using additives to do and it also basically steam cleans the inside of your engine. Water injection has been used for a long time, it helps to reduce knock in high boost applications as well.

iwamaryu
05-16-2008, 05:00 AM
thanks for ur help guys. yeah i was interested in this mod cause i plan to bore stock rail, get new larger injectors and pump. thought having and aftermarket fpr will give me better tunability and also prepares it for futher mods and advances.

Denver_whiteST185
05-16-2008, 06:19 AM
thats a good plan. unless your planning on making redicous amounts of power, the stock rail will be fine if you bore it out, and you can get side feeds up to 850cc (supports 400-500hp). there are ways to increase pressure with the stock FPR, but an adjustable one is much better.

ive actually never seen that website before, and i really like that kit....
tempting....

iwamaryu
05-16-2008, 08:59 AM
yeah i don't think i will be going over 500hp lol. so yeah i'll stick with the stock rail and bore it. hey do u know if boring it yourself is easy? cause atsracing.com and koracing.com both sell pre bored stock fuel rails, but they charge $220usd if Not on exchange basis

iwamaryu
05-16-2008, 02:33 PM
does any know the size of the thread of these fittings, and where can i get them? these are pictures are from lovehorsepower.com i don't want to buy them from there cause there expensive, and cause i don't need the whole kit. just need the 90 degree elbow fitting(blue in picture) and red hose fitting in picture
http://www.lovehorsepower.com/images/Regulator/IMG_0984.JPG
http://www.lovehorsepower.com/images/Regulator/IMG_0985.JPG

iwamaryu
05-16-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.lovehorsepower.com/images/regulatorKit.jpg

iwamaryu
05-16-2008, 03:32 PM
these hose fittings are AN standard yeah? so what size is that there^ cause our fuel rail would need a metic fitting yeah?

Denver_whiteST185
05-16-2008, 09:39 PM
yeah i don't think i will be going over 500hp lol. so yeah i'll stick with the stock rail and bore it. hey do u know if boring it yourself is easy? cause atsracing.com and koracing.com both sell pre bored stock fuel rails, but they charge $220usd if Not on exchange basis

if you need a rail for a core, ive got one i'll sell you for $25 shipped. ive cleaned it up pretty well, and its just the rail

my spare is actually at ATS racing right now, but i pulled the one off my engine to send the injectors to witch hunter performance to get them cleaned and flow tested, so its off the car, cleaned up, and ready to ship tomorrow. i could even ship it to KOracing or ATS for you

Denver_whiteST185
05-16-2008, 09:44 PM
oh, they are metric fittings ( i can't remember the size off hand)

the line will lead from the rail to the regulator, then to the stock return hardline (which it just slips on to like a vacuum line). you would just need to cut the fuel lines he includes to fit once youve figured out where you want to mount it (probably the firewall or the drivers strut tower), and make sure you get some blue thread lock gel to put on the fittings when you install them to keep them on tight (leaking fuel is bad, mmkay)

Denver_whiteST185
05-16-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7177/fuelrailmod.html
http://memweb.newsguy.com/~gtfour/fuelrail.html

these two sites should help you. they are dual feed rails using the coil start injector bung as a return line. a dual feed isn't really needed unless your flowing alot of fuel though, so i would stick with the normal feed/return set up

iwamaryu
05-17-2008, 04:55 AM
yeah Denver_whiteST185 if you could send your spare rail to ats or koracing(which ever is more convienent for you) and get it back bored. before you send it to me, i'll send you a payment through paypal. how does that sound? if you can calculated it all up and tell me how much it will cost that will be good. i live in melbourne, australia, 3150.

Denver_whiteST185
05-17-2008, 05:17 AM
sure, id be happy to do that. Koracing charges a little less for it, just a bit over $80 including shipping it back to me, so if you want to send $25 for the rail and rest for me to pay KOracing to bore it (around $109 total) and then once i get it back, i can figure out how much it would cost to ship it down under (i would just charge you what my cost is)

im actually leaving on a mini road trip tomorrow morning, so it might be late next week before i can get around to it...

iwamaryu
05-17-2008, 05:46 AM
i really like the setup on this site here:
http://memweb.newsguy.com/~gtfour/fuelrail.html

but one thing, he has got no cold start fuel injector, instead he use where the cold start injector hose would normaly go and used it as an exit to the fuel pressure regulator i'm asuming. how will this work for me? cause i need the cold start injector. could i put a TEE where the cold CSI hose use to go and from the TEE one end goes to the COld start injector and the Other exit to the Fuel Pressure regulator?

Denver_whiteST185
05-17-2008, 05:56 AM
nah. you would just have to have a single feed.

you really don't need a dual feed unless your flowing alot of fuel.

iwamaryu
05-17-2008, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by Denver_whiteST185
im actually leaving on a mini road trip tomorrow morning, so it might be late next week before i can get around to it... no worrie man, just let me know when u get back, besides I have to wait till weds till my weekly pay comes in, haha no money.

iwamaryu
05-17-2008, 06:32 AM
ok single feed it is. what is your definition of alot of fuel? lol. what do i need to be flowing to need the duel feed design? the reason i am interested in the duel feed concept is, not for the extra flow, but the presure consistantcy within the rail. Cause i've recently opened up my block and noticed that piston number one was getting alot more fuel action, hence more carbon build-up
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/iwamaryu/forum/IMG_0029-1600x1200.jpg