PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Additives they hurt you over all power ??

spaztheweird1
05-13-2008, 12:49 AM
heres the link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2KNbbdQv3E&feature=related) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2KNbbdQv3E&feature=related
so yea they hurt the car cause it lost 2 % power loss thats crazy

Luni
05-13-2008, 02:23 AM
How is that crazy? Ive seen 3-5 percent gains/losses on a dyno with NOTHING changed between runs. I wont even count a 2 percent anything on a dyno. Too many variables.

T-spoon
05-13-2008, 03:27 AM
How is that crazy? Ive seen 3-5 percent gains/losses on a dyno with NOTHING changed between runs. I wont even count a 2 percent anything on a dyno. Too many variables.

Yeah seriously, way too many variables to take that as gospel.

Also, sure, some additives will "hurt" power in some cars, while being some sort of an improvement in others. For instance, if you put octane booster in a completely stock low compression car there's going to be no measurable benefit, but if you put it in a turbo or otherwise high compression car in hot weather/hard driving with 87 octane gas, I'm quite sure it would be an improvement ;)

crash60068
05-13-2008, 03:39 AM
ok what about the fuel cleaners like the injector and valve cleaners do you recomend thoose???

tuner4life
05-13-2008, 03:48 AM
So would just running 110 octane fuel in my 5sfe 1992 gt help? I was using that bottled stuff before, now I won't even waste the $.

celicaGT90_05
05-13-2008, 05:37 AM
To be honest, only use the proper octane for what the motor can handle, using higher octanes is usually a bad idea. On a motor like the 5SFE, 87 is perfectly fine, and anything higher might hurt your MPG and you may just be poluting more. Remember, octane is only the fuels resistance to premature combustion, but higher octane doesnt carry as high of BTU's (british thermal units) which means it doesnt burn as efficiently

Slider
05-13-2008, 07:04 AM
So would just running 110 octane fuel in my 5sfe 1992 gt help? I was using that bottled stuff before, now I won't even waste the $.

Don't bother on a stock 5sfe, you won't see any gains. Unless you advance your timing I would just stick with 87.

Luni
05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Slider speaks the tr00f.

Youd have to have your ignition timing pretty advanced and even maybe using an SAFC to pull fuel out of the band to lean yourself out for optimal power gains before youd start seeing anything from race fuel on a 5S. Your engine was designed for low grade fuel. The only time you should ever have to use a higher grade fuel is if you have hotspots from carbon buildup and youre pinging.