PDA

View Full Version : Crack in CV Boot what do i do...

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Ok well long story short, saw some random thing hanging so i went under the car to see if i could figure out where the other end hooked to aaaaannnddd....found a crack in the cv boot at the wheel side on my passenger side wheel...grease EVERYwhere on the backside of my brake calipers, all over inside of my wheel all over the hub everything....i tried to "patch" the crack in the boot as best i could...how long will this temporary fix last, if it actually did something....how long do i have until i NEEEEEEED to get a new boot...??? please help

ciento44
05-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Ok well long story short, saw some random thing hanging so i went under the car to see if i could figure out where the other end hooked to aaaaannnddd....found a crack in the cv boot at the wheel side on my passenger side wheel...grease EVERYwhere on the backside of my brake calipers, all over inside of my wheel all over the hub everything....i tried to "patch" the crack in the boot as best i could...how long will this temporary fix last, if it actually did something....how long do i have until i NEEEEEEED to get a new boot...??? please help

Boots aren't expensive.... Like.... $48 a side from the Toyota dealer.

I'd be more worried about axles, though, depending on how long it's been cracked. Dirt getting up there isn't too fun.

For the time being, just make sure that you always have grease in there until you can at least get a new boot.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-12-2008, 10:50 PM
so just put grease back in thru the crack?...how much do you think labor costs are to replace that thing?

Denver_whiteST185
05-12-2008, 10:58 PM
its not the quickest job, but boots are pretty easy to replace if you don't mind getting really dirty. you will need to make sure you wipe all the old grease out since it got exposed to dirt, and re-grease it. you'll also have to drain your transmission beforehand and replace its fluid, which is pretty easy too.

if you want me to do a write up for you, let me know.

Oh, if your just planning on getting new stuff, swapping axles out yourself is cake.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-12-2008, 10:59 PM
https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html

this boot kit good enough?

i need to replace the driver side axle anyways as it is clicking and i also figured id do the otherside to even it all out but i guess something is telling me its time to do them...dammit...

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Question Denver:why would i need to drain my tranny fluid?...i didnt think i needed to pull the whole axle out just to put the boot that is nearest the hub on?...or is it just a precaution thing to do? if i do this myself, i just need to know where the drain plug is because i know where the other bolt is to put the tranny fluid in....thanks for the help!

alltracman78
05-13-2008, 12:42 AM
You have to take the inner joint off to get at the outer joint/boot.
You can pull the inner joint apart, but it's best to remove the entire thing.
The drain bolt is on the bottom of the trans. Same exact plug as the fill bolt.

If it's fully cracked and there's grease everywhere, IMO you're wasting your time doing just the boot.
The damage is already done to the joint, and your best off replacing the whole axle.

Denver_whiteST185
05-13-2008, 03:59 AM
you can do just the outer boot, but i would do both the outer and the inner when you do it, since the inners are probably just as old. Also, you don't have to drain the tranny, but tranny fluid will gush out when you remove the axle ;)

Also, jeremy is right, especially if its been clicking for awhile (metal on metal is never a good thing). if you still want to replace the axles for cheap, get a set from a junk yard that havent cracked, and replace the boots and regrease those, or look around on the net for rebuilt axles (i think rockauto has some good prices and there's a discount code on MR2OC)

KoreanJoey
05-13-2008, 07:47 AM
If it's clicking replace the axle.

celica91gts
05-13-2008, 08:24 AM
go to bap or napa, they sell kits. this includes the new boot, greese, and bindings, thay can be found for around 15-10$ quite a troublesome fix.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Ya the drivers side axle definitely needs to be replaced because of clicking but the right side is fine except for the cracked boot i just found so i figured i might as well replace both axles if im gonna spend money on it....this car is really starting to get on my last nerve....never thought i would say that but its just fix after fix after fix...sucks big time when its your DD and theres nothing performance about it...just makes me wanna sell it and get a 6th gen....blah....

505celicaGT
05-13-2008, 09:23 PM
new axle ftw.. if you dont wanna get THAT durty. lol j/k

Denver_whiteST185
05-14-2008, 03:33 AM
seriously, i think the dirtiest project ive done on the celica was replacing the boots and regreasing the joints. theres is alot of old grease to remove

Ads28
05-14-2008, 03:42 AM
yeahh replaceing the boots isnt bad, i got all 4 replaced when i did my motor mounts, i think it cost me about 160$? with labour and boots not sure, it wasnt to bad

KoreanJoey
05-14-2008, 08:12 AM
seriously, i think the dirtiest project ive done on the celica was replacing the boots and regreasing the joints. theres is alot of old grease to remove

Parts cleaner at work FTW!

Shadowlife25
05-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Just buy both CV axles and replace them yourself. The whole job from start to finish should only take you about 2-2.5hr.

The end :)

PESuazo
05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
its not the quickest job, but boots are pretty easy to replace if you don't mind getting really dirty. you will need to make sure you wipe all the old grease out since it got exposed to dirt, and re-grease it. you'll also have to drain your transmission beforehand and replace its fluid, which is pretty easy too.

if you want me to do a write up for you, let me know.

Oh, if your just planning on getting new stuff, swapping axles out yourself is cake.

I am planning on doing this myself (replace the whole thing, with rebuilt or new axles). Does anyone know of a good write up with pictures?

KoreanJoey
05-15-2008, 02:17 AM
It's pretty straight forward.

Take off wheels.

Take off cotter pin that holds axle nut crown.

Remove axle nut crown.

Remove axle nut.

Remove the 2 nuts and one bolt that hold the lower ball joint to the lower control arm.

Use prybar (or large screwdriver) to pry down on lower control arm to remove hub/lower ball joint from hub.

**Drivers side axle***
Using pry bar keep pressure on axle by the trans in order to remove (should pop free with some pressure).

***Pass side axle***
Unbolt carrier bearing from carrier bearing mount via 2 bolts that's located at the rear of the motor. Remove axle.

Shadowlife25
05-15-2008, 06:44 AM
One helpful hint: have a friend hold the end of the axle (the wheel side) as close to straight out (180deg) as possible. This will make it much easier to remove as the retainer clip can be a total pain. ;)

KoreanJoey
05-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Yes, and when putting it back together, use the weight of the hub and the play in the boots to slam it back in.

Also, make sure the ends are completely clear of any debris. Even the smallest bit of sand will make the retainer clip an absolute PITA.

Physlis
05-15-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm in the middle of doing this too on the passenger side. My problem though is that the bolts for the carrier bearing to the motor were not installed last time I got work done and the driveshaft came out of the tranny the other night. Anybody know what size bolts I need to get since the guys at the dealer had no idea what I'm talking about?

never thought i would say that but its just fix after fix after fix...sucks big time when its your DD and theres nothing performance about it
This one's my DD too, and so was my late GT-Four (that was a constant fix job as well).

Denver_whiteST185
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
thats about everything. make sure to torque everything back to spec (look at the BGB link on the front page of celicatech for specs)

oh, and the axle nut is easiest to come off if you have someone pressing on your brakes. you'll need a 30mm socket for it...

Shadowlife25
05-15-2008, 09:55 PM
^^ :hehe: I took my brakes off first and had to put them back on... Thats what happens when I forget to eat on time and the blood sugar drops :( :D

Denver_whiteST185
05-16-2008, 06:02 AM
^^ :hehe: I took my bakes off first and had to put them back on... Thats what happens when I forget to eat on time and the blood sugar drops :( :D

your car bakes. awesome :laugh:

If anyone actually wants a write up with pictures on how to replace just the boots, lemme know. i took lots of pictures when i did mine

joey, damn you and your parts washer. i want one so badly...

bzdweezy
05-16-2008, 06:32 AM
i was changing my passenger side strut and the cv joint came out but i just put it back in..so i'm guessing i need a new one also?

KoreanJoey
05-16-2008, 07:33 AM
i was changing my passenger side strut and the cv joint came out but i just put it back in..so i'm guessing i need a new one also?

If it's not clicking just clean it out really, really well and reboot it.

KoreanJoey
05-16-2008, 07:37 AM
your car bakes. awesome :laugh:

If anyone actually wants a write up with pictures on how to replace just the boots, lemme know. i took lots of pictures when i did mine

joey, damn you and your parts washer. i want one so badly...

Yeah, parts washers are nice. I wish I owned my own but... I have a feeling I wouldn't maintain it properly. I'm lazy like that.

Shadowlife25
05-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Fixed :)