PDA

View Full Version : Only a Matter of Time...

Murgatroy
05-10-2008, 11:39 PM
So after 217k on the ticker, I have an issue.

I have bad valve guides.

Chaos has the telltale puff of smoke after sitting for a handful of days.

I know it isn't anything major, but it still brings a tear to my eye.

vip09
05-10-2008, 11:50 PM
:(

Well.. looks like an excuse for a swap!

Chris
05-11-2008, 12:00 AM
So after 217k on the ticker, I have an issue.

I have bad valve guides.

Chaos has the telltale puff of smoke after sitting for a handful of days.

I know it isn't anything major, but it still brings a tear to my eye.

Mine does that, but it's at 140. :/

I need to get them replaced, how much does it cost?

Cavanagh
05-11-2008, 12:04 AM
:(

Well.. looks like an excuse for a swap!
Sorry to hear Murgy, but i couldnt agree more with Vip.

Murgatroy
05-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Nope. No swap for Chaos.

It isn't hard to fix. I can probably get away with just new seals, but I want it done right.

It might cost $200 figuring in parts and machine work, nothing major.

The hardest part is removing the head.

I may just wait till I have time and pull the whole engine to reseal it so I can run synthetic oil.

It isn't that major, seeing as how I only drive her once a week or so. I car pool back and forth to work.

Ads28
05-11-2008, 01:22 AM
ahhh i hear yaa man, ive got 224k with a lil puff of smoke..and the lovely smell of burning oil even while driving, yet i dont lose much between oil changes....im in need of a rebuild soon thats for sure, cept mine is my DD soo its a lil hard to take her off the road

CriScO
05-11-2008, 07:02 AM
I may just wait till I have time and pull the whole engine to reseal it so I can run synthetic oil.

Both of mine have guide/seal issues, you should see the number 2 plug in the coupe, that sucker is soaked! Compression's still good and even accross all four cylinders, BTW, so it isn't the rings.

Anyway, on a whim to see what would happen I switched to part synthetic at 216,500 miles. With no increase in consumption or leakage after 2,500 miles, I switched to full synthetic at 219,000. I'm now just under 220k, which is what I'd decided would be the first change after the switch. Still no increased oil usage. Even changed the plugs two weeks ago, that number two was just as soaked as always, no more or less.

Anyway, that was my experience. I still don't reccomend to my customers that they switch to full synthetic on an old engine, but I haven't had any problem in mine. You just made me think about it. :)

celicaGT90_05
05-11-2008, 08:32 AM
wow that sucks considering my celica runs about as clean as a whistle with 222k, I unno how it manages that lol

tuner4life
05-11-2008, 06:41 PM
the 4afe in the Prizm is the same way, 237,000mi and no oil burning, no puff of smoke, nothing.

My grandpa had it and babied it from 140,000 mi to 220,000 when he sold it to me. That makes all the difference!

david in germany
05-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Newbster has departed us.

LOL go suck a big one dude, it seems you would like to. And It's not like I cant just register a new name. Ctech isn't my life you know. And heres the pic in question. It is totally on topic.
I watch IP addresses too :duh:

Ghosty
05-11-2008, 11:23 PM
My ST does the same thing... especially in the summertime. Methinks valve stem seals, actually.

How much oil are you burning? I'm at about 150k and its gotten to a quart every 3k miles.

I always change oil after 3k but I haven't always been easy on this car.

Murgatroy
05-12-2008, 12:03 AM
I just noticed this was happening Tuesday. Seeing as how I drive the car once a week, so she sits for the rest of the week, I am not sure how much oil she is burning yet. She is due for an oil change right now however.

I doubt it is gonna be bad.

ciento44
05-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Chang did that for over 80k miles before i parked her....

Amaymi
05-13-2008, 04:29 AM
Try just replacing the valve stem seals first. Its still a pain in the ass but will only cost $16-$20 in parts and your head can stay on the block if you do it right. A lot of older 170K and up 5s, 3s, 4a, and 7a's come through the shop with leaky valve stem seals. Puffs of smoke on first start up are a tell tale sign of valve stem seals, the rubber gets old and oxidizes over time. Try that first before you go getting your head machined. It might save you a lot of money and time. Unless, that is, you want to take the head of and give it a fresh machining.

Honestly, valve stem seals are my single most hated thing to do to DOHC motors.