PDA

View Full Version : Any creative ideas for mounting a plate on a 92-93 ST/GT bumper?

Slider
05-09-2008, 04:59 AM
So, I have already received a no front plate ticket, I'm already thinking of buying a license plate bracket from toyota it's $18, but I don't want to drill holes in the bumper and it looks so much cleaner without it. Anyone mount the plate in any other spots in the front or in any other way?

celicaGT90_05
05-09-2008, 05:02 AM
you could just stick it in the windshield. May also get by with it in the grill of the bumper. Luckily for me Ohio doesnt give a crap about front license plates, you dont have one here if you dont have the mounting bracket, so there isnt one on the celica or ranger :bigthumbu

Slider
05-09-2008, 05:08 AM
It's zip tied on now, but I don't like the look. Front windshield won't fly with the cops and it's not too safe if I get in an accident. I really hate front plates.

19celica90
05-09-2008, 05:11 AM
3m double sided tape

celicaGT90_05
05-09-2008, 05:16 AM
It's zip tied on now, but I don't like the look. Front windshield won't fly with the cops and it's not too safe if I get in an accident. I really hate front plates.

Same, I cant stand them. 3M double sided tape sounds like a good idea, but I'll bet you the plate will fall off if you use it, especially if it rains

19celica90
05-09-2008, 05:20 AM
^no it wont, alot of trim and accessories on the outside of the car are held on by 3m double sided tape. You have to make sure you get the automotive version, its a blackish color.

celicaGT90_05
05-09-2008, 05:31 AM
well you could give it a try, though if you lose it, you're kinda screwed

Slider
05-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Stumbled upon this while searching google http://home.earthlink.net/%7Etsitmc/audittinvisiblelicenseplatemount/

Interesting idea, I might go through with it. Where I live they didn't really bother me about front plates and the only place that really tickets them is downtown chicago, the meter maids will leave you a ticket. Sometimes when driving through some of the anal suburbs where cops have nothing to do they like to pull people over for small bs. This way I could quickly pop on the plate if I'm going to be driving through there. I'll let you guys know how it goes if I go through with it, I'm gonna order some rare earth magnets.

Newbster
05-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Stumbled upon this while searching google http://home.earthlink.net/%7Etsitmc/audittinvisiblelicenseplatemount/

Interesting idea, I might go through with it. Where I live they didn't really bother me about front plates and the only place that really tickets them is downtown chicago, the meter maids will leave you a ticket. Sometimes when driving through some of the anal suburbs where cops have nothing to do they like to pull people over for small bs. This way I could quickly pop on the plate if I'm going to be driving through there. I'll let you guys know how it goes if I go through with it, I'm gonna order some rare earth magnets.

Sorry, but our front bumpers are plastic. What the hell are you going to do with a magnet?

Slider
05-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Sorry, but our front bumpers are plastic. What the hell are you going to do with a magnet?

So are the Audis. You take a bunch of rare earth magnets and stick them on the other side of the bumper, of you will have to take off the bumper, glue them on using epoxy. Stick some on a plate mounting bracket and you have a removable plate whenever you want and no holes. I just have to see which strength magnets to use as there are a lot of different pull forces. http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

VikingJZ
05-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Its not hard. Magnet idea isn't a bad idea. When you take pictures you're more than welcome and legal to remove your license plate, so long as you install it again once you're done.

That magnet idea is probably the best solution short of anything else.

You could also move over the state line into Indiana, Lake County.

celicaGT90_05
05-10-2008, 03:48 AM
you know what? You could get them, and instead of glueing them just stick one on the inside and one on the outside. I thought the idea you wanted was to avoid making the bumper look like crap. They make some hangers for doors where you stick one magnet on the outside, one on the inside, and they hold each other up which works pretty well

Playfortoday
05-10-2008, 07:57 AM
I definitely think the grill. My RX-* has a grill mounting kit. It may work with other cars or would be very easily fabricated. I am horrified that I have to blemish the lines of my car, but it tucks nicely below the bumper. If I had to make holes, I would pay the tickets. The IL jerks. I want to live in Indy.

grayscale
05-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Stupid observation here, but your car in your sig has a plate holder on it. I assume you've done away with it?

celicaGT90_05
05-10-2008, 03:26 PM
^ do you remember him wrecking it? It has the 92-93 bumper on it now