PDA

View Full Version : Celica built off Corolla frame?

johnL
05-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Simple, was the celica built/desinged off the corolla frame?

grayscale
05-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Which Celica/Corolla?

ciento44
05-07-2008, 08:18 PM
I highly doubt it... even though the Corolla came first, it was a good sight smaller to start with, and had a completely different chassis designation. E-series chassis.

Do i know for sure? No. But it doesn't make sense to me.

Murgatroy
05-07-2008, 08:22 PM
It does make a little sense to me. I haven't spent enough time under a Corolla to know though.

I know a lot of the parts are similar, but I don't think they would be exactly the same.

I know you have some fancy scheme in your head or you wouldn't be asking, so what is up your sleeve? `Rollacamino? :hehe:

tuner4life
05-08-2008, 03:48 AM
Wasnt the camry what the celica was built off of, or visa versa.?

CriScO
05-08-2008, 04:23 AM
:stupid: Much more similarities.

I'm actually kind of interested in the answers though, there's a body kit for the AE86 that I'd love to make fit a fourth gen.

Murgatroy
05-08-2008, 05:19 AM
The Camry was a Celica model at one point.

It was the Celica-Camry, it was a 2nd Gen 4 Door.

The Supra and the Camry both started their Model Life as Celicas.

The Corolla was always it's own car.

The Corolla and Celica have always shared engines as well, even the 4th Gen that was only available with a S series engine in the NADM was available with a 4AGE in some markets.

celicaGT90_05
05-08-2008, 05:26 AM
I really wouldnt doubt it, in case you guys want to learn something, the fox body mustang and ranger have the exact same chassis but with different bodies

Hiko
05-08-2008, 06:15 AM
I really wouldnt doubt it, in case you guys want to learn something, the fox body mustang and ranger have the exact same chassis but with different bodies

The mustang shared it's chassis with a pickup truck?? Now that is interesting.

Just for reference, the celica has shared its chassis with the corona, carina, camry, curren, and the supra at various points during its life. Just with different bodies.

But to the best of my knowledge (and wikipedias :hehe:) the corolla has always been an E chassis, and the celica either an A or T.

Off topic, but you can tell Mr. Toyoda liked the letter 'C'. Celica, Curren, Carina, Corona, Camry, Crown, Cressida, Chaser, Celsior, Cynos.

crash60068
05-08-2008, 06:31 AM
a celica and camry are they same just different shell

Hiko
05-08-2008, 07:05 AM
a celica and camry are they same just different shell

Only from 80-82. After that, they became the v chassis, and after that, the xv chassis.

crash60068
05-08-2008, 08:51 AM
well in my 96 and my dad 93 camry they look completely the same

CriScO
05-08-2008, 09:44 AM
The engine is the same. We're talking about the chasis.

Murgatroy
05-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Uh, no they aren't.

The Ranger is a full chassis vehicle.

The Mustang is a Subframe vehicle.

They do share the same base engine, and the rear end is the same. As is the bolt pattern. However, that is where the similarities end. The suspensions are different, as is the front cradle and so forth.

I have built several vehicles on both of these platforms.

The Granada, LTD, Cougar, Thunderbird, Capri, Town Car, Fairmont, Zephr, Mark VII and a handful of other FoMoCo cars I can't think of are all based on the Fox Chassis.

The Fox chassis was carried on into the SN95 chassis designation which ultimately ran until the release of the latest Mustang in `05.

85gtsblackman
05-08-2008, 12:54 PM
you guys suck at figuring out old school toyotas

they made the celica camry due to droping the corona which shared smilarities with the celica

how ya like that for education

VikingJZ
05-08-2008, 01:50 PM
The original Corolla from the first years of Toyota were similar to the RA chassis Celica, but still different enough to warrant changes. They did offer the 18RC engine in the Corolla, but was mainly a Celica engine. Nowadays they are very much different.

ciento44
05-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Wasnt the camry what the celica was built off of, or visa versa.?

Camry didn't appear until the 80s...

geebes
05-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Fiction can be fun but, I find the reference section much more enlightening.

(which movie?)

Is there any written documents showing these claims?

T-spoon
05-08-2008, 04:39 PM

I've seen fox body mustangs autoX and I am not at all surprised to know it's the ranger chassis.

Hiko
05-08-2008, 06:19 PM
you guys suck at figuring out old school toyotas

they made the celica camry due to droping the corona which shared smilarities with the celica

how ya like that for education

Misinformation ≠ education :nono:

Either the Corona or Carina (at that point, same car) and Celica-Camry were also both marketed in Japan at the same time, so that theory doesn't make sense. The Corona itself was continuously on market from 57 to 02.

And about the Mustang, I guess I did prove to be a bit gullible on that one :hehe:

AstroVannin
05-08-2008, 06:40 PM
If its any help at all, pretty much everything suspention wise from the 5G Celica bolts onto a 2G (1983 - 1986) Camry. I had 5G GT-S suspention under mine for a while..... what an improvment... Now Ive got coilovers though.