PDA

View Full Version : rebuild kit and power steering hose question

itzdark
05-06-2008, 11:28 PM
ok, i have a 91 gts. I 'm going to start rebuilding it here in the near future.
right now i just have a general idea of what i will be needing next week im gonna pull the engine and look to see what all i need but here is my definite list so far
gaskets, bearings, rings (burning oil).
ill find out if i need new pistons when i get it pulled
where am i going to find an alright rebuild kit. has anyone used ebay kits?

then also i was reading a post on here about break ins, and something about running it hard a certain way is better has anyone tried this?

as for the power steering i have a hose leak that i found, it is located at the top of the engine bay almost directly above the power steering pump (between the strut and firewall. it has some foam/foil insulation around it, can someone give me a part number for this or a place where i can get a replacement hose for this

KoreanJoey
05-07-2008, 03:29 AM
Doh, I don't remember the part number but replace BOTH high pressure lines for the power steering, it's one going to the rack and one coming from the pump.

You'll also want to add valve seals onto your list as those are often times the cause of leaks. In fact, I'd check those out before anything else if you're trying to stay cost effective.

And don't forget a headgasket if you pull the head off.

itzdark
05-07-2008, 04:45 AM
i plan on replacing all gaskets and seals, the engine has 250k on it 80 on the current rebuild which obviously didnt go so well considering it is now leaking oil and tranny and before this occurred burning off oil at a decent rate

itzdark
05-07-2008, 04:51 AM
as for replacing hosing i may be going through and replacing all hosing while i have the engine out