PDA

View Full Version : AC Evaporator dripping... drain?

sinkrite
05-05-2008, 04:08 AM
Well, it's that time of the year again, time to mess with my AC...

AC works fine, but on humid days the evaporator leaks all over the passenger floor, and makes it start to stink etc.. sometimes its more of a pour than a drip. Anyway, I'm 99% sure it's the evaporator+condensation dripping, so here's my question:

Is there a catch pan and drain of some sort (should be......) and how can I unclog the drain, if that's the problem? Don't want to start poking around more than I have to in there, hehe. Was really bad at the end of last summer, but then I conveniently forgot about it until recently...

Thanks! :cool:

MrWOT
05-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Yeah, it's clogged, mold will grow in it sometimes or just debris, you need to find the drain under the car and shove something up it to unclog it, then go to your local auto parts store and find a "vent sanitizer" which will kill mold spores in your system to keep it from growing back.

alltracman78
05-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Either you have something blocking the drain, like mold or a bug nest [more likely], or someone incorrectly installed the evaporator and pinched the drain.

Look on the engine side of the firewall for an elbow shaped rubber hose, roughly 2".
It will be above the steering rack, but down by the bottom.
If you see the hose, it shouldn't be pinched and is probably clogged.
If you don't see the hose, either you missed it or it's pinched.

sinkrite
05-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Awesome, as usual you guys rock :) I'll check it out! It hasn't always been super leaky like that, so I'm going to guess it's pinched... but hopefully it's going to be simple to fix regardless, sure sounds like it.

Thanks again!