PDA

View Full Version : how to start a meet?? or any one from fl

spaztheweird1
05-02-2008, 06:11 PM
we have local car meets a bunch of d!cks thats have insane riced out cars or the ones that do have nice fast cars they only wan to race for cash i was wanting to know if theres any celica meets in or around fl that any one nows of ?? or how many ppl in fl cause if not i would think about starting one. i sit a read all the comments and pics of the dragon and dam i wish i could have went it just looks like fun no ones out to be the top person to rub it in every ones face about being the best its about having a good time and well talk about cars.

andy
05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
where in florida are you??

Ricksta
05-03-2008, 01:36 AM
im in tampa area...you havent seen rice till you have gone to the causeway...

spaztheweird1
05-03-2008, 06:40 AM
im in west palm stuart .... but i was thinking of trying to get ppl to maybe do one in orlando like once or twice a year ... i have seen rice i see a lancer with this body kit molded that looks like that kid stole it right out of power rangers and it had what they call the fatty muffler or something it had to be at least double the size around then the basic can muffler and that car was ystripes ellow with red and inside was all American racing and apc seat covers and stuff

Murgatroy
05-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Clayton (Trance4c) helps organize Sibling Rivalry down that way every year. He has also been responsible for putting together several other meets in the past as well.

As far as the Dragon Run goes, I kinda fell into the roll of hosting that. The Pigeon Forge meet has been going on for years, probably the longest running annual Celica event or close too it. I have been going for 5 years or so. It kinda fizzled out one year, so I started planning it, and it has become one of the most anticipated events of the year.

The first thing you need to do is find a place to have it. A park works well, they have a meet like that up north that the 6GC guys have been doing for a while now. After you have a place to hold it, you need to set a date for the event. After that, it is all about the promotion of the event to get folks to show up. Sometimes it works to rally the folks for a meet first, to make sure there is enough interest to get a date set. With an event like the Dragon Run, it isn't that hard, as it is one of the most popular stretches of road in the country. Legendary some would say.

It might take a few tries before the event turns out good number, but if the folks show and have good stories to tell about it, more will be interested. There was one year only three of us made it out to the Dragon Run. Myself, Coldiron and Dustin. However, this year, the turnout was one of the highest I have ever seen with just over 20 cars and 30 or so people. Those numbers are just a rough estimate, I didn't keep an exact count, and neither of my cars made the run.

It also helps to spread the word across several boards. We have always tried to make a habit of inviting the MR2 guys as well as some of the other Celica and Supra sites. However, you might choose to have a Celica only meet over a Toyota meet. Myself, I don't mind make or model as long as everyone's heart is in the right place. We have had a couple of Hondas, Nissans, a WRX and even Jeeps show up.

With that said, sometimes, folks won't want to drive that far to get to the meet. That will mean a smaller turnout, but everyone will be local to one another, which leads to the possibilities of closer relationships. As the friendships can spread to a daily basis instead of just a yearly meet.

However, with some of the higher profile events, folks will be willing to drive halfway across the country, or even fly in to attend. This depends on many factors, the appeal of the location is one and the attitude of the attendees is another. These two factors have been the biggest boon in the success of the Dragon Run. We have one of the coolest roads, and some of the coolest folks out for it.

Whatever you plans, I wish you luck. Dedication helps.

But also, don't be afraid to make the trek up to the Dragon if you feel the urge, Joe comes up from Florida for it every year.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Murg, when is the Pigeon Forge meet? I would be interested in coming to that one.

vip09
05-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Murg, when is the Pigeon Forge meet? I would be interested in coming to that one.

The Pigeon Forge meet is the Dragon meet.

Murgatroy
05-03-2008, 08:32 PM
The Dragon Run Started as the Pigeon Forge Meet. It evolved to the Dragon Run over the course of a few years.

Pigeon Forge is a great attraction in of itself, but honestly, the Dragon is better for car guys. The reasons I moved it away from Pigeon Forge was cost and ease of access. Once it gets warm, it takes 4 hours to make a 15 mile cruise down the Parkway.

Plus the other reasons are purely selfish. Growing up in a small town that narrowly missed becoming a huge Tourist attraction, Pigeon Forge makes me sick. I remember the way it used to be 20+ years ago. Dolly Parton (she has done great things for the economy, so I am not holding against her) put in bids to buy 3/4 of the acreage of my hometown about 15 years ago. The town voted her purchase down. I am glad now.

Gatlinburg and the area used to be real nice, it was beautiful landscape, the river was in a perfect location, and a few small shops offered some nice trinkets. However now, you can't see the river or the woods for all the shops, go-kart tracks and hotels lining the side of the road. The best I ever heard it referred to was 'a town trying so hard to whore itself out.'

I apologize for inputting my own personal/political feelings about such a simple subject, but in the end, the Pigeon Forge Meet is the same as the Dragon Meet. The concept is very similar still, but the whole focus and appeal changed.

VikingJZ
05-04-2008, 06:41 AM
I have only been to car shows at fairs and colleges but the Dragon meet this year was the coolest thing I have experienced to date. I have never gone to anything like HIN or similar events, but have gone to the local ricer gatherings in South Bend on weekend nights a few times. I'm a very personable guy and enjoy meeting new people, but when it comes to cars I enjoy being reclusive and learning. I don't enjoy a lot of people talking shit about who's car is faster, which is exactly what the local South Bend ricer gatherings are. Occasionally there are guys with Camaro's/Firebirds/Mustangs that just stop by to claim Japanese cars suck and that American cars rule, blah blah blah. I mean...I went there last weekend with Tuner4Life (Who LOVES to go..lol) and I see a guy who has a teal Civic with 17's on the back and steelies up front and apparently was stopped for not having his 1/4 windows on the car and was required to prove he had something there, not necessarily a glass window. SO...he welds in sheet metal and then BONDOs the whole back half of the car in to fill the window. Then, he cuts out a giant Hawnduh logo from Bondoo and sheet metal on the back window so that the only part to see out of was the Honda logo. That car was the dumbest thing I have ever seen, and I hate cars like that. Really, it would have been so much easier for this guy to have gone to the junk yard and spent $50 on two glass panes to stick in those windows. So much effort to make your car look like a total pile of shit. Then, there are the Am. Muscle guys that show up. Last weekend, there were a few guys with F-birds and Camaro's. One guy gets out of his Firebird on spray and starts making fun of everyone in a Japanese car. Oh yeah? He bought this Bird because he weighs 340 and is 30, and still a virgin. Its called, "I'm a fatass and have a small cock" syndrome. For the most part, I feel that a lot of the guys who own newer Camaro's and Stang's do so because they feel they have to make up for what they're missing downstairs. Not all but some, and thats what comes out in the meet in South Bend. Thus why I refrain from going to this Ricer gathering.

I guess for me at the local ricer gathering and in life, I don't care who has a car thats faster than mine. My car is quick, not OMGBBQWTFROFLCOPTERfactoryRWD fast, but its peppy and faster than a lot of cars that try to screw with me but has potential. I don't have a need for speed and feel the urge to make my car a monster, even though I'm pressured on a daily basis to do so. I don't street race and I don't make excuses for not wanting to race. If someone asks my answer is always, "No I don't race. Period." I've been called a pussy, chicken, you name it. Do I care? No...lol. I have bad luck and would hate to break something, seeing as I am always broke (Just gave IU $2,500 of my savings). I want to run my car past 300,000 miles and still have people say, "You have a nice car!". I hear all the time that the American V8 crowd is so much better and all that, but the only upside to those cars is the aftermarket performance potential. The only reason why those markets are so populous with parts for these cars is because E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E gets a Camaro or Mustang and makes it fast. I have yet to see a Z28 or a Stang that was completely unique for a daily driven car. I'm odd and obscure, and that comes out when I get cars especially. I will always go out of my way to find the rarest or most unique car, even in new cars if I buy them. When I dumped my 90 GT I sold it in Chicago so I would never see it again and feel bad (Even though I DID see it...what are the odds). The SC represents my hard work and saving to finally buy a car of my own with no help from my parents on purchasing. Its in my name alone, which feels nice not having that anchor of a mommy and daddy purchase on my shoulders. Its not that the SC is mint or new or anything like that, but it is a clean car that looks nice, runs great, is very comfy, and ultra reliable. Does it have potential? For sure, but not in my budget right now. I want the performance factor to be taken care of on my dime, time, and by my hands or with the help from others on wrench turning (I do need help from time to time with stuff). I'm on my own with this. My dad doesn't own a shop or have connections to give me shit for free when it comes to my car (Unlike this kid I hate the most).

To sum it up, I'm anti mainstreamist and don't have to suck my dad's wang to get stuff in life.

But the Dragon....a blast. Its kind of like a CTech member's pilgrimage to Mecca: Go at least once, but the more times the merrier...lol.

I would love to be able to have enough people from here to like me enough to come to Indiana...lol. I think it would be awesome to have everyone come to South Bend and tailgate a Notre Dame football game in the fall on a Saturday and then on Sunday hit up the autoX track at the TireRack headquarters on the outskirts of SB. The Notre Dame campus is absolutely gorgeous and I find it amazing every summer I work there and think about how many college football nutjobs would kill to be me for the summer. The pictures you could get would be breath taking. I don't live that far away for where a bon fire and gathering at my house would be in order.

But like Murg said...its not hard, it just takes planning.

Wow Vicodin is amazing

Nitro_Alltrac
05-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Cool, I thought I was missing something else. I know there are a lot of different car/truck shows in Pigeon Forge through out the year and thought maybe there was something gong on in addition to the Dragon Run.

The Dragon Run is a lot better that your normal car show. Sitting around in a parking lot with your car only goes so far. It gets old in a hurry.

Also, I know what you mean about the Pigeon Forge area. I was there in '82 when Dollywood was still Silver Dollar City. It is NOTHING like it used to be.