PDA

View Full Version : Really good article on Oil

KoreanJoey
05-01-2008, 08:08 AM
This was a really good article done about different oils and their protective values. I just thought people might be interested in reading.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

The Captain
05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
I recently bought Royal Purple in a one gallon jug for $28.99 at O'Rielly Auto parts.

Murgatroy
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Good stuff.

david in germany
05-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Joey, kick ass post! I am changing my brand on the next oil change.
I drive over 5 miles a day and that will increase to a over 100 miles a day commute for me in less than 5 months.. I have used Mobile 1 religiously but have no decided to go with Royal Purple. I have averaged between 33-38 mpg with the mobile one, lets see if the Purple improves that!

extremeskillz
05-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I knew it and people told me they swore by Royal Purple and this test proves why Im switching over this weekend. You literally gain horsepower just from swapping over and gain up to 5 hp. Even doing the transmission fluid you will gain some horsepower. I doing a full conversion this weekend as i need to do an oil change anyways.

david in germany
05-01-2008, 02:46 PM
I knew it and people told me they swore by Royal Purple and this test proves why Im switching over this weekend. You literally gain horsepower just from swapping over and gain up to 5 hp. Even doing the transmission fluid you will gain some horsepower. I doing a full conversion this weekend as i need to do an oil change anyways.
Just got back from the store $7.49 a quart. Mobil 1 is $6.79 I think so for that kinda protection.. Bought it today. I have to wait for my filters to come in though (oem).

extremeskillz
05-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I use Fram oil filters. Work great and they are easier to remove.

david in germany
05-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Never had a problem removing an oil filter if they are installed properly. Also the stock toyota filters have one of the best ratings I have found ( I will look for the article)

celicaGT90_05
05-01-2008, 07:05 PM
yankee showed me that article a while back, would have been nice if they had conventional oils too

extremeskillz
05-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Synthetic has always been better then conventional oil. So there is no need to test them.

MrWOT
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Oil formulations have changed significantly since then, so the results won't reflect current oils. If you want the breakdowns on current formulations, nothing beats the bitog forum. Oil analysis ftw. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

20v Blacktop ST
05-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I've been using the Greddy GR-3 since October, and have had no issues with it whatsoever. Specially made for high revving, multi-valve n/a motors. Side perk, the shit is blue.

grayscale
05-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Hmm, funny, we had a big thread about royal purple a couple years ago, though it did turn into a crank scrapper debate. I'm surprised everyone is just now getting around to trying it.
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17169&highlight=royal+purple

StormyBklyn
05-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I thought once you used a crappy oil, that was it? After using Penziol and Mobile 1 and the like, is it too late to switch to Royal Purple?

MrWOT
05-02-2008, 09:20 PM
^ No, you can always switch and reap the benefits

Ghosty
05-02-2008, 11:55 PM
But would you recommend it for a 155k+ mile 4AFE?

It uses a little less than a quart every 3k miles. I'm worried that it will eat up more with royal purple, being a synthetic and all. Has anyone switched from dino to synthetic and not had a problem with oil consumption or anything else?

I'm thinking it can only make things better for the engine, such as less wear and greater fuel efficiency. But I'd rather not burn through a quart of $8 synthetic oil every 1k miles, if that's what's going to happen.

MrWOT
05-03-2008, 12:41 AM
If it leaks it's because the seals need replacing and it was buildup keeping them from leaking. If you've already got over 150k on the clock, unless you've been using it already it's probably very close to time for a teardown anyway.

celicaGT90_05
05-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Synthetic has always been better then conventional oil. So there is no need to test them.

Thats not really true, yeah they say synthetic lubes better, but it is also more expensive and not everyone wants to buy it such as myself because I dont feel any of my cars really need synthetic. Conventional is still in pretty high demand, so yeah there is a need to test it