PDA

View Full Version : New Toyota-Subaru sports car more or less official.

geebes
04-30-2008, 05:51 PM
I've gotten two really good sources for the new sports car in the works.

The first source is from a Toyota focus group that I am part of:

New RWD Sports Car in Development
Posted on Apr 25, 2008 11:53am
Heya members have been asking for Toyota to bring back a sports car for awhile [link and link]. Well guess what, Toyota heard you! Ok, maybe it's not just because you asked for it, but it's great news no matter what. Here's some articles detailing the development plans between Toyota and Subaru for a RWD sport car set to come out in 2011.

AutoBlog.com - Toyota/Subaru RWD sports car confirmed for 2011 with boxer engine
b15sentra.net
VWVortex.com Car Lounge
Jalopnik.com - RWD Subaru, Toyota Sports Cars Officially Confirmed For 2010, 2011
LeftLaneNews.com - Toyota increases stake in FHI, talks about upcoming sports car

The second source is from a Subaru news letter I get in my email every month:

Subaru and Toyota to Jointly Develop Sports Car

Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI), parent company of Subaru of America, Inc., recently announced that it will team up with Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) in the development of a new compact sports car.

The groundbreaking relationship means more good things are in store for FHI and the Subaru brand, including a new manufacturing facility at FHI's Gunma plant and the development of the all-new vehicle to be marketed by Toyota and Subaru.

The all-new Subaru compact sports car will be powered by a horizontally-opposed Boxer engine and is expected to come to the United States in late 2011. We'll keep you posted on this exciting development so watch for more details!

Of course this raises more questions (who's will it be ran as Toyota, or Subaru? Boxer or 3sgte? Will it be AWD?)

What do you think of them apples?

MrWOT
04-30-2008, 05:55 PM
:WELCOMETOTHREAD545489595983e58ONTHISTOPIC:

:squint:

spaztheweird1
04-30-2008, 06:00 PM
thats insane but i hope it doesn't fall like the neon for dodge did some say dodge neon others say plymith ( how ever it is spelled) and i heard of it saying other things to like the steering wheel has a Pontiac symbol on it .... i guess they all got there logo on it but i just hope this car doesn't do that but since Toyota is releasing the supra (maybe) under lexus i bet it will be subaru or maybe they will do what chevy and Pontiac did with the G6 and cobalt make ithem a lil different looking and sell them as different cars when they clearly are the same

ciento44
04-30-2008, 06:04 PM
My thoughts on the car are still as follows:

"MEH."

geebes
04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
:WELCOMETOTHREAD545489595983e58ONTHISTOPIC:

:squint:
:lolhittin ...but its not from random sources this time my friend.

donteatbugs
05-01-2008, 12:01 AM
welocome to the ghey boxer sound from a toyota. i wish they would make a 6sge and put in it.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-01-2008, 12:58 AM
:lolhittin ...but its not from random sources this time my friend.
The president of TMC annouced this in Tokyo about 2-3 weeks ago. Boxer engine, rear wheel drive.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=125558#4

Colossus20v
05-01-2008, 01:41 AM
i feel like we have already discussed this somewhere.

KoreanJoey
05-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Shit... I really don't like working on flat motors...

if I did I'd work for a Subaru dealership...

Guess I can't get away from it now.

MrWOT
05-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I don't give a fuck what it comes with as long as it's LIGHT, as in the whole car. Can always find ways to increase output, that's easy.

ciento44
05-01-2008, 09:08 PM
If i buy this car, i want it set on the record that i will have it swapped with a 3sgte within 3 months of owning it.

If i wanted a rwd subie, i'd buy a wrx and mess with that tranny.

VikingJZ
05-01-2008, 11:19 PM
One of us will buy one, wait out the warranty and then swap a massive 3SGTE in it.

1UZFE?

Chris
05-02-2008, 12:54 AM
To the guys bitching about the Subaru motor, shouldn't we take solace in the fact that Toyota is actually bringing back a small, RWD sport car? That's gotta be a good sign of things to come.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-02-2008, 02:09 AM
It's definitely a start. They could build another goofy looking thing off the Yaris platform and call it a sports car.

90CelicaST
05-04-2008, 10:25 PM
http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/contents/pdf_en_44983.pdf

1) TMC and FHI are to jointly develop a compact rear-wheel-drive sports
car that will be marketed by both TMC and FHI.
2) TMC is to provide FHI with a compact car on an original-equipmentmanufacturing
(OEM) basis.
3) Daihatsu is to supply FHI with minivehicles and an FHI version of the
Daihatsu “Coo” compact car on an OEM basis.
The compact rear-wheel sports car to be jointly developed by TMC and FHI is
envisioned to offer a new “fun to drive” experience based on an all-new vehicle
platform powered by an FHI core-technology horizontally-opposed engine. Market
introduction is targeted for the end of 2011.

T-spoon
05-05-2008, 01:24 AM
I may be in a position for a new car at that point. If it's a good looking lightish RWD turbo.. well heck, sounds great to me. My biggest beef with WRXs isn't their motor, as stated that can be dealt with, but I just really don't like how they look. If I wanted a sedan I'd get a sedan.