PDA

View Full Version : Short Throw Shifters... Drive/Feel?

H8PVMNT
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I am considering getting a shorth throw shifter on my 5th gen 5FSE Celica, but being in Montana I probably won't get the oportunity to feel one before I buy. :) Could you guys give me a description of the pros and cons (if any) of running a short throw shifter and describe your impressions of shift feel and overall drive using them.

Is the shifting harder?

Is it easier to miss a gear?

How long is your stroke from gear to gear?

Whatever else you can think of...

wizzards581
04-30-2008, 05:12 PM
twm shifters are worth the $$$.

geebes
04-30-2008, 05:41 PM
I have a TWM shifter on the swap, its pretty spectacular. If I had the money I would get one for my regular GT. Its such a short flick in comparison, I have never missed a gear, I think its easier, although its a little bit stiff going to 5th & reverse.

StormyBklyn
04-30-2008, 05:50 PM
I am considering getting a shorth throw shifter on my 5th gen 5FSE Celica, but being in Montana I probably won't get the oportunity to feel one before I buy. :) Could you guys give me a description of the pros and cons (if any) of running a short throw shifter and describe your impressions of shift feel and overall drive using them.

Is the shifting harder?

Is it easier to miss a gear?

How long is your stroke from gear to gear?

Whatever else you can think of...

I installed my TWM a few weeks ago in my 92 GT, and I am still in love with it. I absolutely love the way the shifter looks with the stock knob and boot.
It does take a day to get used to it, but the shifting is nice and smooth. 1st to 2nd is much faster, and you will notice a difference shifting between other gears also. Just make sure you lightly grease the ball before putting it back together.
I installed it myself, and it was easy, The hardest part was getting the washer off of the shifter assembly. I tried putting one of the new washers on after putting it back together, and gave up after about 30 minutes. I just reused the old washer and lightly tapped it back in with a small hammer, so if I were you, don't dremmel it off.
The cups were even already attached to the shifter and pre-greased, so you don't have to take off your old ones. I also had to use two washers on each nut to prevent the shifter from hitting the bottom.
I think the only thing you might have a problem with is the cup holder. If you have the cup holder open, you'll keep banging you knuckles on it. That's not TWM's fault, that's Toyota's fault.

Murgatroy
04-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I highly suggest a TWM shifter.

I used differently, and trust me, the differences are noticeable.

I used a Corolla short shifter (a lot of Toyota Shifters are the same) that had been slightly bent towards the driver. Using it in my 4th Gen (it was used in a 5th Gen previously) the stick height remained the same. I did like this as it rested right where my hand naturally wanted to be.

Shift wise, It shorted the the shifts by about 2 or 3 inches in each direction. I have not noticed a tendency to misshift and shifting takes the same amount of effort as it did before. I liberally applied lithium grease during assembly.

The reason I suggest a TWM shifter is because of the assembly spacer bushings. I did not have these and as such I have had to rig my shifter plate. The shifter rod under the fulcrum is longer. This is what enables the shorter throw. Because of this you have more rod under the shifter assembly. Without the spacer bushings I have contact with the baseplate on 4th to 5th shifts and going into reverse. Again, with the TWM kit, parts are supplied to prevent this issue.

All in all I give my shifter a 3 out of 5. It would be a 5 if I didn't have contact. Something that I will remedy with a angle grinder in the near future.

celica91gts
04-30-2008, 09:15 PM
only reason why i miss gears and its hard to shift with my short shifter is because my syncros are pos

wizzards581
05-01-2008, 05:14 PM
only reason why i miss gears and its hard to shift with my short shifter is because my syncros are pos

short shifters are bad for tranny anyways.

ciento44
05-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Hrmmm.... elaborate please?

T-spoon
05-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I had two cars with short shifters, MR2 and an alltrac. I hated it on both of them. However, I didn't install them and don't know exactly how long they were there, and I know the MR2 at least had tranny issues anyway so it's hard to know if that was a valid impression or not. I have the stock sears tower height shifter on the supra but honestly I'm glad of the extra leverage. To me it's about engineering (the stock shift on the 6spd getrag in the MK4 supras feels outstanding to me and it's short, for instance). I don't think some transmissions lend themselves well to a shorter lever, but again, haven't had a chance to drive a TWM where I knew the condition of all the parts involved.

Murgatroy
05-01-2008, 08:12 PM
How so?

The short shifter just shortens the driver feel of the transmission and has nothing to do with the internals of mechanicals of the transmission.

I fail to see where you are coming from with this.

Useless comments that are not backed up aren't tolerated.

davmac
05-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Shifter effort has more to do with the tranny itself and the cables or linkages and the bushings involved in connnecting the shifter to the tranny. IMO short shifters are more fashion than function.
Short shifter factual benefits:
- shorter throw to switch gear
- looks cool
Short shifter factual disadvantage:
- more effort to move the shifter (not a huge difference but noticeable)
I wouldn't worry about missing shifts and I also don't believe a short shifter will improve your 0 - 60mph time or 1/4 mile time.
I've got a Mazda with a short shifter and my Celica has the OEM shifter. I think both cars shift great. I like my short shifter, but would I buy one? If I had extra cash - maybe, but I wouldn't make the investment as a performance mod.

Nitro_Alltrac
05-06-2008, 01:02 AM
I just picked up the TWM shifter from their Ebay store. Hopefully have it in a few days. I'm curious to see what difference it makes.

KoreanJoey
05-06-2008, 03:41 AM
I've got a C'S quick shifter and I love it. It's not a "short" shifter as it sits at factory height but it's got a much shorter throw. It does, however, lean toward the passenger side as it's a JDM product. Small price to pay I think.

Okctrd
05-06-2008, 04:42 AM
i've got a C'S quick shifter and I love it. It's not a "short" shifter as it sits at factory height but it's got a much shorter throw.

is that a corolla shifter?

KoreanJoey
05-06-2008, 09:36 AM
No it's an aftermarket JDM ST185 shifter.

Shadowlife25
05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
C's is the company name. Unfortunately you really can't find that C's shifter anymore (not sure if they're even in business anymore). I had a line on one, but missed out on picking it up :( From all reports though, they are great.

dan93st
05-07-2008, 04:52 AM
I have the TWM and highly recommend it. It feels very similar to a Hurst shifter in a Corvette or Camaro, with less throw. It's not a light "snick snick" shifter like in a Miata, but more of a heavy shifter like in some musle cars, again with much less travel.

As for shift effort, at first the TWM was hard to drive with. It took serious effort to get it into gear. Figuring something had to be wrong, I disassembled and reassembled it, but this time I used about 5 times as much grease as I thought was necessary on the ball joint. What a difference! So, basically gob the grease on when installing it. It's still a bit stiffer than stock, but still smooth. I drive for about 2 hours a day in stop and go traffic with no issues.

As for missing gears, I've only done this once or twice with the TWM in 5 years of having it in my car. The gates are very well defined with the shorter throws. You know by feel when it is in gear, and when it isn't.

Jeffx28
05-07-2008, 05:23 AM
A buddy of mine has the TWM and loves it, I got a hold of his old stock shifter and modified it to be a short throw shifter. If you have a welder and a spare shifter its worth a shot to save a bit of money. At least now I can put a coffee in the cup holder without wrecking it :)

H8PVMNT
05-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I just got the TWM shifter delivered and I'll install it next week... Sure is a pretty thing sitting in the box! I gotta spring for a weighted shift nob soon.

Corey Darling
05-09-2008, 07:36 PM
C's is a great shifter.

They are hard to find though :( I love mine.

H8PVMNT
05-10-2008, 03:17 AM
Installed the TWM in about 35 minutes. Pretty friggin' sweet! Shifts reaslly nice. Hardest part was puting it all back together with greasy hands...

Definately worth the $

Thanks for all the input fellas!

Nitro_Alltrac
05-10-2008, 06:57 PM
I got my TWM yesterday and just finished putting it in a little while ago. The worst part was putting the retainer back on the shift lever rod. I fooled with it for a while and final got some vise grips and held the rod in place. From there I was able to tap the retainer back into place.

I'm getting ready to go for a spin and see how it does.

jamal
05-10-2008, 08:48 PM
montana huh where in?

sry lil off subject

Nitro_Alltrac
05-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Well I have to say that I love the shifter! The throws are very SHORT. 1st to 2nd feels like 1/2". The shifts are firm but feel very precise. I very happy with the TWM. I'd recommend it.

H8PVMNT
05-12-2008, 03:27 AM
montana huh where in? sry lil off subjectThat's OK.* I'm up in HIghwood which is about 20 minutes from Great Falls.* I PMed you as well.* WE should get together and do smokey burnouts or something...

TWM Performance
05-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Well I have to say that I love the shifter! The throws are very SHORT. 1st to 2nd feels like 1/2". The shifts are firm but feel very precise. I very happy with the TWM. I'd recommend it.

Glad to hear you're happy with the short shifter! :bigthumbu

Thanks for all the great feedback guys,

Kevin
TWM

H8PVMNT
05-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Glad to hear you're happy with the short shifter! :bigthumbu

Thanks for all the great feedback guys,

Kevin
TWM

:bowdown: No thank You for the awsome product and fast shipping! If I can get anybody else up here in podunk Montana to wheel celicas with me they will be buying your shifters! Driving is beleiving you know... :bigthumbu