PDA

View Full Version : AC ?'s

toyotaguy90
04-30-2008, 06:59 AM
I got my car back from toyota a little while ago from a service and they said the reason my freon keeps leaking out of the system when i have it charged is because there is some sort of pressure switch or something under the dash that is faulty. He was a little fuzzy on the details and i cant afford the $400 he wanted just for labor to do it. Does anyone know what this could possibly be?

Galcobar
04-30-2008, 08:48 AM
If the mechanic cannot explain in precise detail what he at least thinks is the problem, that is a bad sign.

I seem to recall -- pardon the pun -- there's a service recall advisory regarding early nineties Toyota air conditioning.

Found it: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26253&highlight=service+recall

And it just happens to cover a faulty pressure valve.

Newbster
04-30-2008, 11:31 AM
yup its covered under a recall. it should be free. Thats why he was fuzzy about it.

celicaGT90_05
04-30-2008, 11:56 AM
I wonder if thats what the issue was with mine...oh well, I wouldnt use it anyway

toyotaguy90
04-30-2008, 05:57 PM
yeah i have heard of the recall. I asked them to look for recalls on my vehicle and he said his computer shows that it was fixed 1997. Is it possible that the part replaced in 97 has gone bad again? I dont know a whole lot about ac systems what is exactly is it that is leaking? And could i fix it myself?

StormyBklyn
04-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Hmm, could that be my GT's problem? I turn on the AC, RPMs raise for a few seconds, then drop down and the light in the AC button blinks.
Sorry for the thread jack, but if anyone knows what that is, I'd love to find out before it starts getting hot out.

alltracman78
05-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Yours could be any number of things, most likely a low charge or a bad compressor.

yeah i have heard of the recall. I asked them to look for recalls on my vehicle and he said his computer shows that it was fixed 1997. Is it possible that the part replaced in 97 has gone bad again? I dont know a whole lot about ac systems what is exactly is it that is leaking? And could i fix it myself?

PM me your VIN and I'll check if it was actually done.

That valve [it's called the expansion valve] could have gone bad again, usually because of crap that has gotten into the AC system.
It's a closed system and is very senstive to dust/debris/moisture, and all these idiots that just go to autocrap for a bottle of recharge instead of actually vacuuming the system out and fixing any leaks tend to cause problems in the system.

It's several hours labor. You have to evacuate the AC system, pull the evaporator, remove the valve, replace, vacuum the system, and then recharge.
You should also replace your reciever/dryer at the same time, it's the filter for the AC system.
That is relatively easy to do, it's right up front by the dr side headlight.

toyotaguy90
05-02-2008, 02:38 AM
any more ideas on my problem?

alltracman78
05-02-2008, 05:02 PM
What more do you want?
I outlined the issue very clearly, do you not understand part of it?

Or are you looking for someone to give you an easy answer?
If that's the case, here;

Swap your front and rear wheels and the AC will work just fine, it's like magic!
Cheap, easy fix. Minimal effort and no money.

Nothing on the AC system is cheap.
Other than the O rings, the expansion valve is the cheapest part [well, second cheapest, the pressure switch is probably cheaper].

No matter what has to be replaced, you need to evacuate it, vacuum it, and the recharge it once it's repaired. That's roughly 2 hours there.

If there's a leak in your system,it could be anywhere. And while you might not believe him [any time something is expensive the mechanic must be lying, right?], he's got a much better chance of finding it looking at the car in person than us throwing darts from thousands of miles away.
A part could be broken, or a seal could be leaking. He's the mechanic, he should know how to find leaks.

If your AC system isn't working and the mechanic told you it's the expansion valve, that's your most likely target.
If you don't trust him, take it somewhere else and pay them to look at it.
What are you going to do if they say the same thing, go to a third place?