PDA

View Full Version : is it common to no pick up in low rpm

spaztheweird1
04-29-2008, 07:11 PM
its my first celica its a 91 5 spd st a4-fe motor i payed 600 for it i have after market intake and new ngk spark plugs and wires the car has 201,000 miles and runs fine besides that at low rpms it doesnt have pick up at all but once i hit 3500 4000 it takes off is that common i now i have a small motor and it has low hp but i just want to know if that normal..http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/spaztheweird1/l_1d22abb0cb8b0501039da2bc3db68c32.jpg

also what should i do to it to make it quicker i dont realy know what i can get for the car

i did just order lazy eyes from underground kaos (http://www.freewebs.com/undergroundkaos/)

was that a bad ideal??

thanks Spaz

Murgatroy
04-29-2008, 08:04 PM
You could build your own lazy eye kit, we have the writeup here.

As for the engine. Well, it is a 4AFE, that is what they do.

It is a 103 horsepower engine. The powerband in 3500-6000 RPM.

Beyond major modification, there is nothing you can do to change that.

I just happed to have a freak engine, she has power all the way around.

There are a few parts out for the 4AFE, but nothing major to make it quicker. Beyond intake, header and exhaust, you have no bolt on options. Everything else is custom.

spaztheweird1
04-29-2008, 08:12 PM
i was un able to find the how to i was looking for it but then i just bought the kit but could you give me a link to where it is just incase i got ripped off

Murgatroy
04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8567

First sticky in the electrical forum.

Newbster
04-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Murg, please explain this.

I just happed to have a freak engine, she has power all the way around.

90CelicaST
04-29-2008, 09:47 PM
'I just happen to have a freaky engine that is different than other 4AFEs, it has a wider powerband'

20v Blacktop ST
04-29-2008, 09:52 PM
'I just happen to have a freaky engine that is different than other 4AFEs, it has a wider powerband'
ditto

ciento44
04-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah.... i miss my freak 5sfe. Oh wellz.

Newbster
04-29-2008, 11:16 PM
So I guess its accustom to bs to new comers of the forum. How cool.

Cause I get full torque at 1 RPM too.

alltracman78
04-30-2008, 12:04 AM
So I guess its accustom to bs to new comers of the forum. How cool.

Cause I get full torque at 1 RPM too.

Really?
That's sort of interesting; that you get full torque at 1k, because it's physically impossible for a Celica engine to have full torque at that low an RPM.
I don't think any automotive engine does, even the Vyron [which has full torque across several thousand RPMs].

Oh, and he has an ST, you have a GT.
Which means you have a more powerful engine. Not really a good comparison.

Stop talking out your ass and think before you speak.
You won't look as stupid.

Murgatroy
04-30-2008, 01:52 AM
The reason we consider Chaos' engine a freak is because of her abnormal traits compared to other 4/7AFEs.

This is not just my opinion, this is also that of other's that have ridden in her/driven her compared to thier 4/7AFE.

My powerband hits around 2500 RPM and carries to redline.

This could be attributed to many different factors. I have removed the exhaust system, thus I am running an open pipe. I also have an open intake tract. The timing is advanced. The AC has been removed, thus eliminating the parasitic loss from the compressor. I also have all my mechanicals in good shape and proper upkeep for the engine.

However I prefer to think I just have a freak engine, as opposed to the awesome care I have given her. Makes me feel special.

spaztheweird1
04-30-2008, 02:01 AM
My powerband hits around 2500 RPM and carries to redline.

This could be attributed to many different factors. I have removed the exhaust system, thus I am running an open pipe. I also have an open intake tract. The timing is advanced. The AC has been removed, thus eliminating the parasitic loss from the compressor. I also have all my mechanicals in good shape and proper upkeep for the engine.

running open pipe??? you go from header to open pipe all the way out ?? no muffler not even canister isn't that loud how did you advance the time?? i never heard of that before.

Murgatroy
04-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Si, open off of the exhaust manifold. It is louder than stock, but not that loud. It is comparable to a cannon muffler. It is run all the way to the back bumper like that.

There are several write-ups on how to advance the timing, basically you jump the diagnostics port with a paper clip then adjust your distributor. It is not suggested to go more than a 15* advanced. Your fuel will suffer.

spaztheweird1
04-30-2008, 02:20 AM
awesome i'll have to look for that timing advance and see how hard it is

but doesn't running your exhaust like that cause problems since theres no real back pressure?? i dont know i am new to imports had a 86 5.0ho mustang before this and i just know that back pressure caused alot of problems when i ran straight open pipe

what are good headers to look at i seen the pace setter but every thing i read about them there only for gas mile not power??

Murgatroy
04-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Depending on how large of a pipe you go with depends on how much backpressure you lose.

I am still running the stock piping, which for the ST is 1 and 7/8th". A lot of folks make the mistake of going up to 2.5 or larger and then running an open exhaust. That is how you lose all the power.

I don't think Pacesetter makes a header for the 4AFE applications, but I know that OBX makes a Corolla header that works (after you modify your O2 Sensor) and there are a few companies on eBay that sell Celica specific 4/7AFE headers. Most headers aren't going to give horsepower increases, but they will improve economy and throttle response. Again, the 4/7AFE is not a power engine. It is about fuel economy. If power is what you are after, you will have to swap it for a different engine, or turbo it. There is no way around that.

Even with I/H/E some cams and tuning, you will be lucky to see 120 horses out of a 4/7AFE at the crank.

I have no delusions of grandeur, I just want good economy and fun to drive.

Newbster
04-30-2008, 03:27 AM
Alltracman I was being sarcastic. I just wanted to know what murg meant, instead of smartass remarks.

H8PVMNT
04-30-2008, 04:49 AM
I had the same car. That engine really wakes up with strait exhaust, but it is still designed to be a top end engine. On the flip side they get awsome milage even if you drive wide open all the time. Focus on handling and enjoy what the car does have.

Wheel On! :bigthumbu

Cavanagh
04-30-2008, 05:30 AM
lol...you have a 4AFE. Enough said.

celicaGT90_05
04-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah.... i miss my freak 5sfe. Oh wellz.

I still have one lol its nice to be able to chirp tires hitting second in my AUTOMATIC from a 5SFE (yeah, I've done it a couple times), and not even have the throttle fully mashed. It picks up pretty well, especially for having 222k, although, it may not put on many more miles before it gets a part out. Since I have the geo the celica isnt going to see much road time and may stay the way it is til the 3SGTE swap

ciento44
04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
I still have one lol its nice to be able to chirp tires hitting second in my AUTOMATIC from a 5SFE (yeah, I've done it a couple times), and not even have the throttle fully mashed. It picks up pretty well, especially for having 222k, although, it may not put on many more miles before it gets a part out. Since I have the geo the celica isnt going to see much road time and may stay the way it is til the 3SGTE swap

Bish, the coupe used to chirp third, with a Toyota OEM clutch. :hehe:

The weird thing is is that the powerband on that car, 93 GT coupe, was COMPLETELY different from the powerband on my 92 GT hatch. The coupe moved pretty good above 3500rpms, and went straight to redline with no issues. The hatch moves good from about.... 2000rpms up, and dies off around 4500.

It's pretty funny doing 30mph rolls against civics though.... in third gear vs. their second.

wizzards581
04-30-2008, 05:09 PM
timing if off? leak inside of distributor? faulty distributor? i had this problem with a camry 3sfe. it was the distributor, not being genuine toyota... trust me..!