PDA

View Full Version : how high should the oil pressure be???

pioneca88GT-4
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
G'day guys,
Were on the gauge should my oil pressure be, at the moment it's half a needle width up the gauge from the low side.

thanks guys.

T-spoon
04-29-2008, 04:30 PM
At idle it could be pretty low, you just want to make sure it rises with RPM. If it still sits down there, could be a problem with the gauge (or sender) or of course, pressure could be low.

CriScO
04-29-2008, 10:18 PM
:stupid:

From your description it does seem pretty low, but as T-spoon said, make sure it goes up with RPM. You can even sit still in neutral and rev it to 4-5k and you should see the needle jump.

If it doesn't, I'd expect the wiring first. I've run into a bad guage connection on both of my fourth gens. They use a little 20 guage wire that loves to corrode right near and on the connection. I had to cut off about six inches of corroded wire and spliced in a new piece and rigged a connector using a quick disconnect.

Shadowlife25
04-30-2008, 12:17 AM
If you have access to an aftermarket guage it is a matter of 5 minutes to test it.

As mentioned before though, double check your wiring for any corrosion.

Worst case scenario is the pump is leaking like mad, but you would notice the leakage on the underside of the car towards the passenger side.

Just as a reference, my guage reads about 60psi at start-up, 30-35psi at idle, and a steady 20psi at idle when FULLY warm.