PDA

View Full Version : Im really tempted to buy this

Denver_whiteST185
04-29-2008, 04:23 AM
what do you guys think? i wonder if the compression being down means i'll need to get a new bottom end down the road?

1977 Toyota Celica GT vinyl top with 165k
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/car/658636674.html

Hiko
04-29-2008, 05:52 AM
Do it! You know you want to. :bigthumbu

There are a couple 20r's I've seen in a local yard lately if you needed a new bottom end. Either that, or 22r bottom ends are cheap ;)

Denver_whiteST185
04-29-2008, 06:05 AM
the only difference is the 22r is a 2.4L, while the 20R is a 2.0L???

theres only two things keeping me from jumping on it. first, i don't know shit about carborators. i guess i can always learn new things. second, i spy maroon seats, and i absolutely HATE the old Toyota red interiors.

if it was a hatch like yours, id be all over it. i saw a 1st gen hatch in presine condition driving around fort collins yesterday, it looked really nice.

i guess i'll email the guy and see if he's willing to drive it up to fort collins to show it to me.

CriScO
04-29-2008, 06:25 AM
I agree with Hiko. With all of us around that thing's bound to be badass, I know I'd help you work on it! :)

celicaGT90_05
04-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Im not a fan of rag tops, but thats a good deal. A compression wet test will show if it needs new rings or if its just the valves. At least it is driveable

Denver_whiteST185
04-29-2008, 06:49 AM
I agree with Hiko. With all of us around that thing's bound to be badass, I know I'd help you work on it! :)

lol, thats funny. i do most of my work at my place in fort collins unfortunately, and if i got another second car, i would want it to be mostly a DD and not a project car too. BTW, im planning on putting back together the alltrac's suspension this coming weekend, so your more than welcome to come hang out if you want to make the drive. i'll be sure to get a 6pack or two of some good stuff (lately ive been really liking easy street wheat)

thanks for the tip celicaGT90_05. if i get a response from them, i'll ask him about what kind of compression test was done.

CriScO
04-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Shit, I'd love to but my days off tend to occur in the middle of the week. :( I'll be at my store all weekend.

Off topic, but since I'm already writing here... I'm pretty sure I will be going to the yard tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know if I find the sensors.

Denver_whiteST185
04-29-2008, 02:19 PM
sound good :)

Hiko
04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
the only difference is the 22r is a 2.4L, while the 20R is a 2.0L???

The 20r is 2.2L. The main thing about the 20/22r hybrid is the 20r head supposedly flows better and a smaller combustion chamber for a higher compression ratio. It's a well documented mod on the R series oriented sites if the fancy ever took you.

theres only two things keeping me from jumping on it. first, i don't know shit about carborators. i guess i can always learn new things. second, i spy maroon seats, and i absolutely HATE the old Toyota red interiors.

Can't blame the carburetor bit. I didn't know anything about them before I bought my 77. Still don't. Took the first chance I had to swap in something EFI :hehe: As far as the maroon, that doesn't look stock. Maybe he has the original seats laying around that you could get from him?

if it was a hatch like yours, id be all over it. i saw a 1st gen hatch in presine condition driving around fort collins yesterday, it looked really nice.

Won't lie, I much prefer the liftbacks in looks. I even passed up a clean coupe when I was searching for mine. Doomed me to another 8 months of looking, but I did find my liftback and I don't regret it.

If you ever want a hand, let me know. I have another week of school, but after that, I might be able to find time to make the trip to FoCo between work. I don't know much about alltracs, or even 20r's, but it'd be fun to learn :)

Denver_whiteST185
04-29-2008, 10:31 PM
so, is the 7m in your hatch yet?

i guess its a good thing that 22r's will swap in. they are easy to find if i ever needed one.

Hiko
04-29-2008, 10:57 PM
so, is the 7m in your hatch yet?

Not yet. I'm probably the slowest car builder of all time :hehe: But it is this summer or bust, and I have a good feeling it'll work out.