PDA

View Full Version : Freakin Bolts

Lonestag
04-24-2008, 05:47 AM
I wish I could find at least one bolt in my car that isn't locked in place. I've had a seriously malfunctioning thermostat for the last month and I can't even get the housing off to install a new one. I feel like I could strip every bolt on this car and it would just laugh at me...

I'm going to feel awkward but I think i'm going to have to jsut go to the mechanics and ask them to loosten about 20 bolts for me...

Seriously though, I've been using a rather lightweight ratchet set, PB blaster, and a hammer. Are there any tools that you guys would recommend to help me avoid stripping any more bolts?

grayscale
04-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Not that I can think of. Some times 12 point sockets, as opposed to 6 point standard, help to keep from rounding them off, but they can be a little pricey in sets and not a guarantee.

That being said, if you have some, like your tstat bolts, that just won't come out and your ready to get them gone and replaced, you can get a set of Craftsman Bolt Outs. I haven't found anything they can't get out. You don't need to buy the main set, it's more for standard size bolts, but you can get the add on set with just the sockets themselves that has all the sizes one would need for 90% of the bolts in a Celica.

Amaymi
04-24-2008, 06:40 AM
I always use 6 point Sockets when trying to break loose stubborn bolts. Go out and get a Stanely set of 6 sided sockets from Wal-mart. I know it might sound retarded, but they're cheap and their sockets use the faces of the bolts as opposed to the points of the bolts to turn them. Its a "technology" that my Snap-on set uses and had a patent on until it expired (or what ever its called don't really know the details) and Stanely put into use. Its easy to tell apart because the "points" in the sockets aren't really pointed but circular. Makes a BIG difference.
I've had customer's cars come in where they tried to remove a bolt/nut with a 12 point socket, or wrench and stripped it. I however was able to use my 6 point sockets and an extra long handled 3/8" ratchet to remove most of them. I use a ratchet as opposed to an air tool because I can "feel" the bolt/nut and tell if I am rounding it further or breaking it loose.

CriScO
04-24-2008, 06:59 AM
Blaster + fence post = break loose anything! :)

I feel for you, my coupe's the same way. I've gotten to where before I start a project I have new bolts ready to go because I know I'm going to strip some. Grayscale had a good suggestion with the bolt outs - they're basically a socket with blades that you hammer on. Might be kind of hard in the space for that housing, though.

However, 6 point is less likely to strip, 12 point is better in tight spots because it has more ways it can be put on the bolt. C'mon Cannon, basic tool stuff here! :) j/j

If you can get in there right, I'd put a pole on the ratchet, then press hard on the ratchet head with one hand while pushing as high up as possible on the pole with the other. There's very few bolts I haven't been able to get with that method.

grayscale
04-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Hey man, depends on the quality of the tools you buy. My Husky 12pnts bite real well when a regular 6pnt won't, though I haven't tried the type Amaymi is talking about. I don't use them any bigger than a 12mm either, so maybe that helps.

celica91gts
04-24-2008, 07:08 AM
for extremely stubborn bolts i use impact

CriScO
04-24-2008, 07:13 AM
Ah, you know I meant no offense. :) As I understand that's the whole basis behind 12 pointers, but you are correct that some are designed better than others. I've blown through many Alltrade and Powerbuilt 10mm 12's. The teeny little ridges on the socket start slipping and wear faster than the bolt sometimes.

KoreanJoey
04-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Yes use stuff that grabs the shoulders not the edges...

Lonestag
04-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Well, i'd say it's definantly worth a shot. I'll go check out some of bolt sets. Where do you guys get your new bolts from? Dealer? Autozone? Ace-Hardware?

BTW, thanks for all the replies.

davmac
04-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I have 2 Ace HW that have excellent selection of metric nuts and bolt including stainless steel and hardened for suspension parts. Sometimes a bolt head will be a different size because Japanese standards are a bit different so don't let that confuse you. Just match the thread size / pitch. Whenever possible bring a sample into the store - even a piece if you've really mangled a bolt is helpful.

KoreanJoey
04-25-2008, 12:53 AM
I get mine from Snap On...

donteatbugs
04-25-2008, 03:48 AM
^wtf? you must be uber loaded...i use whatever spare bolt in my toyota bolt bucket

hemlocke
04-25-2008, 03:50 AM
I had a problem with my thermostat housing nuts, recently. I used 6 and 12 point sockets. Ended up cutting into the last nut and breaking it loose with Vise-Grips. It sucked.

celica91gts
04-25-2008, 06:12 AM
I get mine from Snap On...

BALLIN!

Lonestag
04-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Well, i'm taking it home tommorow and lighting up the ol propane torch...
Wish me luck...

Nitro_Alltrac
04-26-2008, 02:52 AM
I haven't problems on mine stripping the bolts, my problem has been breaking the damn things. I had a 72 Elcamino for 22 years and I have broken more bolts in two years on my All Trac than I did in the entire time I had the Elcamino. I even had the one that holds the cruise control motor onto the bracket and it just goes through the bracket and sticks out int the air! At least that has slowed down some now.

KoreanJoey
04-26-2008, 07:10 AM
^wtf? you must be uber loaded...i use whatever spare bolt in my toyota bolt bucket

No I just owe the tool guy a buncha money...

Even though he himself is a tool...

Think I'll be buying my stuff from Mac from now on... much nicer guy, even though the tools might not be QUITE as good (still better than most).

Galcobar
04-26-2008, 07:41 AM
I haven't problems on mine stripping the bolts, my problem has been breaking the damn things. I had a 72 Elcamino for 22 years and I have broken more bolts in two years on my All Trac than I did in the entire time I had the Elcamino. I even had the one that holds the cruise control motor onto the bracket and it just goes through the bracket and sticks out int the air! At least that has slowed down some now.

Same problem -- never broken a bolt with anything heavier than a standard 3/8 socket wrench, either. Well, with one exception - the nuts on the brake line fittings. The rear ones I've rounded off rather completely; evidently I did enough damage the first time I fiddled with them that even a flare nut wrench could round them.