PDA

View Full Version : Engine Break In Myths?

PhillyDRFT
04-21-2008, 11:09 PM
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Someone on NICO posted this link. I found it to be a pretty interesting read.

What do you all think about it?

hemlocke
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
thousands of psi?

Amaymi
04-22-2008, 03:17 AM
^Yes during the combustion event.

This is the method I have always used in my rebuilds. Regardless of if they were performance motors, all out racing motors, or regular passenger car motors; they have all responded best to breaking them in hard.

In fact on most of the boxes that the piston rings come in, the break in instructions read to accelerate hard from 35 to 55-60 miles per hour (which would normally be 2nd or 3rd gear) 10 times then change the oil.

It is also very evident in Toyota shop how ppl are breaking in there motors. Those who bought things like 5 speed tC's and new 5.7 Tundras (cars that would typically get opened up once the owner had a chance) showed better gas mileage in the long run and better looking oil.

CriScO
04-22-2008, 03:33 AM
If nothing else I hope that really works, cause it's pretty much how I drive anyway. :)

My poor, poor celi's...

PhillyDRFT
04-22-2008, 12:14 PM
If nothing else I hope that really works, cause it's pretty much how I drive anyway. :)

My poor, poor celi's...

It's not that beating your motor is good for the car. only the first 20 miles or so are the most vital.

CriScO
04-22-2008, 12:34 PM
I actually meant that as more of a "I've been worried I won't be able to control myself when I rebuild the motor so this is good news" sort of thing, sorry if I wasn't too clear. :)

Like I said, my poor celi's get run hard a lot, and I know it definitely isn't helping anything at their mileage.

PhillyDRFT
04-22-2008, 10:21 PM
I actually meant that as more of a "I've been worried I won't be able to control myself when I rebuild the motor so this is good news" sort of thing, sorry if I wasn't too clear. :)

Like I said, my poor celi's get run hard a lot, and I know it definitely isn't helping anything at their mileage.

Haha yeah, I realized thats probably it after you posted.

I'm the same exact way so I understand. the 5s is just a fun motor to beat on. It's not fast or anything but putting the pedal to the floor always put a smile on my face.

ciento44
04-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Haha yeah, I realized thats probably it after you posted.

I'm the same exact way so I understand. the 5s is just a fun motor to beat on. It's not fast or anything but putting the pedal to the floor always put a smile on my face.

I think it's just because you can shift it so damn fast when you get it down, and you're right back in BLAM powerband. Not to mention you can make it FEEL pretty damn fast because it can get violent.

Which is also why i prefer it to MOST honda motors.