PDA

View Full Version : Engine Run-In Stand

anachranerd
04-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi All,

So I've been working with this 88GTS/3SGE for the last year. Got it running, but had some kind of vacuum leak. It would take FOREVER to start, after 20 minutes of cranking would finally start. Then it would surge constantly at idle, going from 700rpm to 2500 repeatedly. Between that and a few toehr magging issues,I pulled the engine again and redid a bunch of things as well as checking for warpage, etc.

This time around Ive decided to run the engine outside the car on a Run-in stand. Got a bunch of questions.

My first question is, could i bolt the engine to some heavy wood, like 2x6's? Id rather bolt(not nail) together a wood frame to rest this on.

Second, Do fuel pumps normally sit bathed in gas, or just the bottom end of it where the strainer is? Where the electrical connection goes to the pump, can that be immersed in gas? As of right now it is suspended over in some pvc. hard to explain. Ill have to take pics.

Thirdly, Which ECU wires must be plugged in? Ive got the harness out and the ECU, so they are ALL available. Is it possible to use some kind of generic ignition computer, like an MSD? Forgive me if this is all sounding crazy, I am trying to learn how this thing works. I basically want the minimal equipment to start and run my engine, do some testing on it BEFORE it goes in the car. I know my fuel injectors must be plugged in, as well as signal wires from the dizzy and igniter. Ive been poring over ctech looking for explanations of how fuel injection/ignition control works. I was planning on getting some generic guages to run to the senders, as well as hooking up the radiator right in front, with the fans running whenever master power is applied.

Also, will it hurt the engine to run it without the tranny hooked up? I was assuming it would throw off the crank balance, but honestly do not know. If i do hook the tranny up, is it allright if there arent axles in?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

pitcelica
04-19-2008, 03:02 AM
to me, it's easier to drop the engine down in the car than building a test bench like you want to do. It will be hard because you will need to wire the ECU and power it and the igniter. You want to run it witouth tranny but... HOW WILL YOU GET IT STARTED WITHOUT STARTER!?!?!? Lol and I can go on to all other little things that will be hard to make : coolant line, fuel lines, etc...

Forget that idea and drop the engine in the car.

If you want to learn about engines, search on the web and you will find everything you want to know!

grayscale
04-19-2008, 05:19 AM
No, no, no. You do not need the trans or the starter to run a motor on a stand. However, you do need a proper stand to do it on, pieces of wood aren't going to get it.

That being said, it would be a lot of work to do one on a stand. You would need the ecu hooked up, your engine fuse box, your igniter, fuel pump, pump mounted in something so it can pressurize the system. Aside from the stuff you need from the car, you now need a remote starter setup to spin the flywheel. On domestic engines the starter is mounted to the block so this is not a problem. Though I am sure there is a way or tool available to do it. I would venture to guess that a high torque impact wrench could be used in some way, say something around 250ft/lbs or better.

anachranerd
04-19-2008, 06:22 AM
That being said, it would be a lot of work to do one on a stand.

Indeed. It has been.

You would need the ecu hooked up, your engine fuse box, your igniter,

All out of the car. My wiring harness is torn to shreds, being rebuilt a chunk a t a time.

fuel pump, pump mounted in something so it can pressurize the system

Bought a fuel pump from autozone. Cheapest I could find. It matched the LPH requirements of the celi. Off the top of my head i cannot remember what that is.

Got some high pressure fuel injection hose(after first buying fuel return hose mistakenly). That stuff is expensive. Shopped Carquest, Napa, Autozone, etc. looking for fitting for the bottom of the fuel filter. Finally found a hydraulic equipment store. Sweeeeet-every possible fitting/hose/washer i could ever need. From the bottom of the fuel filter I have pressure hose running to the fuel pump. The Fuel pump is fitted inside 2" PVC pipe for now(was sitting on the shelf waiting for me). The PVC pipe sits in a 5 gallon gas can., other end has the hose running out with the wires from the pump. I have a switch for the fuel pump, hooked up to a fuse.

Aside from the stuff you need from the car, you now need a remote starter setup to spin the flywheel

I was wondering about that. I could use one of those universal ignition switches right? As far as mounting, I could mount the starter to the tranny if need be. I really dont mind mounting the tranny(it already is). As long as it wont harm the tranny running without axles.

If you want to learn about engines, search on the web and you will find everything you want to know!

Believe me, Google and I are tight. I have devoured this site, alltrac.net, st162,,,etc. I have to get my hands on for the reading to help anything. Im tired of laying under the engine too. :)

anachranerd
04-19-2008, 06:23 AM
No, no, no. You do not need the trans or the starter to run a motor on a stand. However, you do need a proper stand to do it on, pieces of wood aren't going to get it.

I am a little uneasy about wood. I know a couple welders who might do it for some beer. :bowdown:

celicaGT90_05
04-19-2008, 06:51 AM
hey just a tip for whenever you are having trouble starting, do NOT continually crank it and crank it. Reason being, not only is it hard on the starter, but if you put in gobs of fuel it will wash off the oil lining for your cylinders. If you have trouble starting, try touching the gas pedal just a tiny but so you can get some air in the motor, that may help

anachranerd
04-19-2008, 07:07 AM
hey just a tip for whenever you are having trouble starting, do NOT continually crank it and crank it. Reason being, not only is it hard on the starter, but if you put in gobs of fuel it will wash off the oil lining for your cylinders. If you have trouble starting, try touching the gas pedal just a tiny but so you can get some air in the motor, that may help

:eek:

Lots of lessons learned the hard way :(

celicaGT90_05
04-19-2008, 08:53 AM
well if you can get your motor started you will overall be ok, it will build up a new lining, but with it washed off your compression will be horrible, and also the unthinkable....metal to metal contact :eek: just know though that when you do get it started you will be ok