PDA

View Full Version : GTS cluster swap

celicaGT90_05
04-18-2008, 07:45 AM
was just wanting to make sure, does the cluster swap right in? speedometer calculated correctly? And does the volt meter work? I picked up a GTS cluster (thanks NissanSkyline901) and am considering going ahead and swapping it in. I was wanting to convert it to all LED bulbs but may wait. Either way having the info will help for when I do put it in.

Dave9284
04-18-2008, 08:11 AM
It will go right in no other mods necessary. The gearing in the GTS cluster is different so it registers the right speed. Only downside is your mileage won't be correct anymore. I cracked the cluster open to change the mileage since my car had more miles than it read and managed to screw up the speedo on the first one, second one was a charm though. So if you decide to correct the mileage be careful the speedo is pretty sensitive.

celicaGT90_05
04-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Im actually doing that right now lol thanks for the help. What I did was I broke the melted on piece of plastic and took the counter out, so now Im winding it up to the correct mileage. No damage to the speedo :)

celicaGT90_05
04-18-2008, 08:20 AM
actually...I should be able to pull the counter from my GT gauges and pop it in, maybe I'll try that instead

Dave9284
04-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Yeah as long as your just swapping the odometer part it should work fine. If you swap the speedo part too it will read for the 120mph speedo and the the numbers are spaced a little bit different between the two.

celicaGT90_05
04-18-2008, 08:53 AM
yeah, just the odometer, the whole point is to have the range of 150 lol thanks for the help. Im thinking I will probably go ahead and do the swap and worry about LED's later

donteatbugs
04-18-2008, 10:15 AM
do leds now, so much cleaner looking. i bet you dont have a hybrid cluster. :P

this is a bad pic but you get the idea

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i220/donteatbugs/gauges005.jpg

VikingJZ
04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Here is how mine will be done except that the numbers and face lights will be that hyper whitish blue color, needles IS-F blue, with other misc colors.

http://lextech.org/osCommerce/images/greenonblue32.JPG

5gen91st
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
hey man everything should work fine besides the mileage and i mean since i did it with my st the rpms are off but not by much but sinceyou have a gt it should read everything right.......

oh and dave somethin somethin how did you swap out the mileage because my old cluster had less then the new one ya know

celicaGT90_05
04-18-2008, 06:34 PM
^ I'm gonna swap the odometer on mine, what you have to do is take the gauge cluster apart and pull the speedometer out. After you do that, you can see 2 melted on pieces of plastic that ensure that the odometer will stay in place. Break at least one of those off, and you pop up the end of the odometer and then slide out the other end. Dont really have to worry about that piece holding in the odometer because it does actually clip in, the piece of plastic is just to make sure it doesnt pop out of place. If you really wanted to though, you could take some epoxi to put in place of that plastic

anyway, donteatbugs that looks great, the only problem I have with colored LED's is the way it throws off the redlines. I havent decided what I want to do yet

StormyBklyn
04-18-2008, 06:41 PM
do leds now, so much cleaner looking. i bet you dont have a hybrid cluster. :P

this is a bad pic but you get the idea

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i220/donteatbugs/gauges005.jpg

Wow, that looks good!
Question is, that looks like the GTS cluster, but the speedo goes to 160. Is that an aftermarket face? Or did you modify an All Trac cluster?

geebes
04-18-2008, 06:44 PM
^thats how it is on the gts'...kinda dumb. They must be faster :lolhittin

celicaGT90_05
04-18-2008, 06:48 PM
^ mine only reads up to 150, they change it one year or somethin?

StormyBklyn
04-18-2008, 07:29 PM

My GTS cluster reads 150. I swapped out the GT cluster, not that the car can DO 150, but I prefer the look. The All Trac goes to 160, that is, until I get the Speedhut gauges that read 180.

grayscale
04-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Nay, the GTS is 150mph, AT is 160mph.

celicaGT90_05
04-18-2008, 10:38 PM
just gotta wonder why toyota would bother spending the extra bit of money to make one show an extra 10 MPH, they should have just had the 120 cluster and the 160 cluster

Murgatroy
04-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Because a buyer pays a premium when the trim level goes up. You want the customer to feel like the premium was worth it. Even though 90% of owners won't try to max out a speedo, they like to 'think' that their car can do it.

In layman's terms, my speedo goes higher, the car is worth paying more for.

"But mine goes to 11..."

celicaGT90_05
04-18-2008, 11:24 PM
^ was that 11 thing taken from spinal tap? That part is funny as hell. I get what you're saying though, marketing is a lot of psychological crap

geebes
04-19-2008, 04:06 AM
Nay, the GTS is 150mph, AT is 160mph.
oh snap...I stand corrected

Mr Celica
04-19-2008, 04:38 AM
isn't... tampering with the odometer illegal? lol

grayscale
04-19-2008, 04:47 AM
Yes.

Disclaimer: Celicatech.com, administration, management, and active members do not condone nor participate in the tampering of odometers in any way.

celicaGT90_05
04-19-2008, 04:51 AM

not if you're correcting it to actual vehicle mileage

Galcobar
04-19-2008, 05:09 AM
Note that he was rolling the odometer up.

Murgatroy
04-19-2008, 05:18 AM
TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

SUBTITLE VI--MOTOR VEHICLE AND DRIVER PROGRAMS

PART C--INFORMATION, STANDARDS, AND REQUIREMENTS

CHAPTER 327--ODOMETERS

Sec. 32703. Preventing tampering

A person may not--
(1) advertise for sale, sell, use, install, or have installed, a
device that makes an odometer of a motor vehicle register a mileage
different from the mileage the vehicle was driven, as registered by
the odometer within the designed tolerance of the manufacturer of
the odometer;
(2) disconnect, reset, alter, or have disconnected, reset, or
altered, an odometer of a motor vehicle intending to change the
mileage registered by the odometer;
(3) with intent to defraud, operate a motor vehicle on a street,
road, or highway if the person knows that the odometer of the
vehicle is disconnected or not operating; or
(4) conspire to violate this section or section 32704 or 32705
of this title.

(Pub. L. 103-272, Sec. 1(e), July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1049; Pub. L. 103-
429, Sec. 6(33), Oct. 31, 1994, 108 Stat. 4380.)

Regardless of the intent, it is illegal to modify. Rolling up, or down, is still an illegal modification.

I understand the desire to keep the odometer accurate with the vehicle's mileage. For reference and discussion this thread will remain open and going. However, as mentioned above, Celicatech management will not be responsible for any actions done, and advises against tampering with the odometer.

Please also take into account, another section of this law:

TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

SUBTITLE VI--MOTOR VEHICLE AND DRIVER PROGRAMS

PART C--INFORMATION, STANDARDS, AND REQUIREMENTS

CHAPTER 327--ODOMETERS

Sec. 32704. Service, repair, and replacement

(a) Adjusting Mileage.--A person may service, repair, or replace an
odometer of a motor vehicle if the mileage registered by the odometer
remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. If the
mileage cannot remain the same--
(1) the person shall adjust the odometer to read zero; and
(2) the owner of the vehicle or agent of the owner shall attach
a written notice to the left door frame of the vehicle specifying
the mileage before the service, repair, or replacement and the date
of the service, repair, or replacement.

(b) Removing or Altering Notice.--A person may not, with intent to
defraud, remove or alter a notice attached to a motor vehicle as
required by this section.

(Pub. L. 103-272, Sec. 1(e), July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1049.)

celicaGT90_05
04-19-2008, 05:46 AM
that reads more like its saying fraud rather than mess with the odometer entirely. If I take the one from the vehicle to put in that is properly set, it doesnt read like that would be illegal. When my motor was swapped in to my ranger from a mustang, the odometer was corrected to read the actual mileage of the motor, and if a shop will do that than it must be necessary. Also note that the document states that you can not replace an item that will misread the actual mileage of the vehicle, so doing a strait cluster swap with different mileage would be illegal.