PDA

View Full Version : toggle fan?

5gen91st
04-18-2008, 04:33 AM
what is it and what does it do? hah sorry never herd of it lol i was looking at a celi and said that if i were to drive it back i would need to turn on the toggle fan so the engine doesnt overheat?

Rav3nxazx
04-23-2008, 08:03 AM
i had something like that in my 6th gen. when one of the realay went dead. my dad rewired it to the car batt and a switch to turn it on and off. but now its set up to just turn on when the car is on. but before that it would over heat due to a non working fan.

Murgatroy
04-23-2008, 08:29 AM
i had something like that in my 6th gen. when one of the realay went dead. my dad rewired it to the car batt and a switch to turn it on and off. but now its set up to just turn on when the car is on. but before that it would over heat due to a non working fan.
Yup.

I have done it many times.

If the relay or wiring shorts out somewhere for the radiator fan the car will overheat due to not getting cooling.

In this case you can run the fan to a toggle switch to turn the fan on and off to keep the car from overheating.

With the fan wired to a toggle you will have to keep and eye on your temp gauge so you will know when to turn it on an off.

To prevent folks from forgetting to turn it on or off, sometimes you will take and hardwire (no switch) to an ignition hot wire. This simply means that when the ignition is on, the fan is on. If it is not possible to have the fan operating as intended from the factory (temp sensor controlled relay) having it wired to an ignition hot wire is the preferred method. Toggles are easy to forget.

CriScO
04-23-2008, 08:46 AM
^ Yeah, I have an extra fan I use at the track when I'm waiting in line for a run. I have it wired straight to the battery, and once I left it on for about 20-30 minutes with the car off during a rain delay. I'm lucky the car started... :)

ciento44
04-23-2008, 03:44 PM
I has one of these switch in my underdash panel by my left leg. My fan doesn't kick on by itself for some unknown reason as of yet. It's ok, i'm not mad. Makes it look like a race car. :hehe:

5gen91st
04-24-2008, 04:50 AM
hah well murg when would be the best time to turn it off? like is there a certain spot or is it just until your temp guage kindof lowers down a bit?

CriScO
04-24-2008, 05:09 AM
Once the car is warmed up you shouldn't have an issue leaving it on for the whole time you're driving. Generally on a warm day you will need it every time you're at a stoplight, so I'd just leave it on until you park.

Otherwise, the stock guage reads normal temp, 195 degrees(f), when the needle is pointing straight up and down, the center of the meter. Use that as your guide.

grayscale
04-24-2008, 05:17 AM
^Agreed.