PDA

View Full Version : I'm in the market for a 6th gen.

PhillyDRFT
04-16-2008, 11:25 PM
So yeah... I miss having a celica and the 15mpg out of my 240 just isn't cutting it.

I've been looking for around 3 weeks now trying to catch a pretty good ST Hatchback in a 5speed. I'm willing to pay a little bit more just to get what I want . I don't think I have the time to hastle with any swaps at the moment. Especally finishing my celica. (as some of you have seen pics)

I'm hoping to keep around the border of 100-120k at most. I know the 7afe is pretty reliable so as long as everything else is well maintained. I'm looking to spend around $3-4,000. Am I in the right ballpark for what I'm looking for?

Anything else I should keep an eye out for or anyone know someone selling a decent one in the Phila area?

tuner4life
04-16-2008, 11:35 PM
How the hell do you manage to only get 15mpg out of a 240sx?? Its got what, ka24 or sr20??

PhillyDRFT
04-16-2008, 11:51 PM
How the hell do you manage to only get 15mpg out of a 240sx?? Its got what, ka24 or sr20??

I'm around 10-15 psi on a KA-T so...... I've been doing a lot of highway im exaggerating but it's definitely under 20mpg. I would ballpark it between 15-17mpg.

jlspec
04-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Being turbo shouldn't drop your mpg that low. Are you always speeding/boosting on the highway?

PhillyDRFT
04-17-2008, 03:27 AM
.... I'm not sure why this became a discussion about the MPG of my engine. But the 240 was rated 28/22mpg from the factory. It's 17 years old. My tune is a little on the rich side but mostly stoich. Also account that they weren't using Ethonal blended fuel when they rated the 240 ither and thats in prime conditions. I know the MPG I get so I assure you it's not wrong lol.

I keep up with traffic, I stay out of boost when I can and I don't usually cruse in it. But this still isn't really the point, no matter how you drive it. A KA-T isn't the most efficent daily driver. Nore do I wish to keep putting needless miles on the car. My drive to and from work isn't really enjoyable as much as driving it on the weekends.

It's cheaper for me in gas, time and effort to get a nice 6th gen to DD than to keep putting my Nissan through daily driving.

Amaymi
04-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Thats sounds about right. I used to be a mechanic at a used car lot before I went to Toyota and we sold a 94 st with about 80,000 miles for 4,000 plus tt&l. This was cash though. Of course financed you can add at least another 50%.

celicaGT90_05
04-17-2008, 04:39 AM
Being turbo shouldn't drop your mpg that low. Are you always speeding/boosting on the highway?

a turbo most deffinately would drop your MPG, because with a lot more air requires a lot more fuel. With the boost he's running, his MPG sounds about right for that nissan motor.

Anyway, an ST 6th gen shouldnt cost you $3-4 grand, probably more of around $2g ish at most

grayscale
04-17-2008, 04:47 AM
Got one a while back with medium front end damage, otherwise in excellent shape, 94ST 5spd poupe-$350. Great for DD, well into the mid to high 30smpg. Other than that I hate it. Handles like a slug, absolutely 0 power beyond 4krpm, and the cup holder is worse than the 5th gen. Seats aren't all that great either. But it does it's job and does it well. Not sure how prices vary from your area to mine, but for $3-$4k I'd say you can get a 94-96 with the miles you want, finding that mileage will be harder, and maybe an even newer one if you are willing to go for higher miles. I do have to say that Toyota perfected those Xafe econo engines, they run very smoothly and quietly. Good Luck! Oh, and pm Azz about one, he might know somethin.

PhillyDRFT
04-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the helpful replys, Thats crazy cheap grayscale.

Yeah I think the handling might annoy me after a wile. The 240 has such a tight turning circle I've grown accustomed to. I test drove one a wile ago when Kotah was looking for her first celica. I really liked it. It wasn't balls out fast or anything but it was pretty comfortable.

burnyd
04-17-2008, 11:14 PM
you guys thought he had an sr..... lolssssssss!!!

PhillyDRFT
04-18-2008, 12:13 AM
you guys thought he had an sr..... lolssssssss!!!

lol Doesn't everyone with a 240 these days?

burnyd
04-18-2008, 04:33 AM
lol Doesn't everyone with a 240 these days?

Im not going to argue with you, but other than the rocker problem there solid motors... great 4cly that will make a ton of power for real cheep.

ethier that or a ls1!

PhillyDRFT
04-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Im not going to argue with you

Didn't realize I was looking for one.