PDA

View Full Version : Which are better H4 housings: w/ or w/o Diamond cut

StormyBklyn
04-14-2008, 06:15 PM
For those in the know, which are the better housings? With the "diamond cut", or without? Which will give me the brightest lights? I am going either Hella or Autopal, since I am sick of the low light output on my curren housings in both the All Trac and 'vert. I want to buy one more set for each, and not have to worry about it. I'm not going HID, since it's just too much hassle.
And I'm assuming the Ultra White 100/90W will give me better lighting than the Ultra Blue 100/90W?
Thanks

extremeskillz
04-14-2008, 06:40 PM
Well when i had regular bulbs in my diamond cuts they where bright then. I just upgraded to HID and fell in love. Never looked back since. As far as housing preference, Im using the Diamond cuts and like them but w/o seems to diffuse more light. Like I said i can see everything so no worries here.

StormyBklyn
04-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Aren't there just so many variables with HID? Didn't you also say you customized your own housing? I mean, I was looking in to them before and I posted about it, and just got so much information, which is great, but....
I mean, some have high beams, some don't, color temp, housing, and if I don't get the right <fill in the blank> I still won't see the improvement I want, and I've just spend ~$400. I'm half tempted to get some off road lights for both cars, stick them on the bumper, and be done with it. Driving in the city is fine with the diamond cut no name brands I have now, but over the weekend I was out on Long Island, and some of the highways don't have street lights, an I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of the car.

extremeskillz
04-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes i do have retrofits I'm working on. But who knows when those will be complete. Im using 8000K HID h4 with HI/LOW beam. I actually disconnect the Hi beam feature as I don't use it. If I were to do it again I would go 5000K or 6000K. The blue in the 8000K is nice and still bright but getting boring and tiring to see everywhere. 3000K is more yellow and perfect for the fogs. Don't go past 8000k as thats when they loose there brightness and you end up with either pure blue or purple which is still ugly and will basically be pointless of having HID in the first place.

anthony560
04-14-2008, 08:34 PM
My buddy has got autopal and there are great but I got the Hellas which are awesome I recomend the hellas

david in germany
04-14-2008, 09:33 PM
How about the original set of H4 housings made for the 5th gen celica?

I have an extra set if you want to stick with stock.
Let me know.

Slider
04-14-2008, 10:05 PM
If you're going to retrofit HID later on, get the Diamond cut.

Since it looks like you're going to stick with Halogen, I'd get the Ebay Autopal E-Code H4 headlights, they're similar to the Hellas in performance. And yes if the bulb is tinted (ie blue bulbs) the light output will be worse. A clear bulb = more light. If you're going to run 90 watt bulbs I'd highly recommended upgrading your wiring. All you need is 2 relays, 2 inline fuses and some 12gauge wire. This will make sure you're getting all the power to your lights since the stock wiring most likely won't handle 90w well and will either blow fuses, bulbs or melt. If you don't want to make a harness yourself you can buy one from rallylights.com, it's cheaper to make it yourself though.

StormyBklyn
04-14-2008, 10:35 PM
How about the original set of H4 housings made for the 5th gen celica?

I have an extra set if you want to stick with stock.
Let me know.

You mean the standard sealed beam sylvanias or the like? I still have my old lights. but they are so dim I keep them just in case a bulb blows and I can't get to Autozone or Strauss.
The unit itself is OK, I just want one of the H4 conversion housings that will light up well.

StormyBklyn
04-14-2008, 10:39 PM
If you're going to retrofit HID later on, get the Diamond cut.

Since it looks like you're going to stick with Halogen, I'd get the Ebay Autopal E-Code H4 headlights, they're similar to the Hellas in performance. And yes if the bulb is tinted (ie blue bulbs) the light output will be worse. A clear bulb = more light. If you're going to run 90 watt bulbs I'd highly recommended upgrading your wiring. All you need is 2 relays, 2 inline fuses and some 12gauge wire. This will make sure you're getting all the power to your lights since the stock wiring most likely won't handle 90w well and will either blow fuses, bulbs or melt. If you don't want to make a harness yourself you can buy one from rallylights.com, it's cheaper to make it yourself though.

Wow, the rallylights.com relays are VERY expensive. If, that is, I'm looking at the right thing.
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/wiring_harnesses.asp

I would need HL28244S, right?

But it might be worth it, since I am sure there is a huge difference between the 90W and the 65W bulbs.

Murgatroy
04-15-2008, 12:09 AM
No, DiG is talking about a set of actually Euro glass H4 housings. I didn't know he still had those.

DiG, how much are you asking for those? Shipped?

Galcobar
04-15-2008, 03:13 AM
For the best beam pattern, it is almost impossible to find a diamond-cut style H4 housing with a proper ECE design. Truth be told, you will notice a much more pronounced difference between the ECE and DOT (American) beam patterns than you will by increasing your wattage, without having to upgrade your wiring or worry about the cops ticketing you for illegal lights.

Well, technically ECE are illegal, but no cop is going to complain about a headlight which produces less glare.

Hella, Autopal, Bosch all produce good quality H4 housings with an ECE lens. Cibie is the best, but you will pay for it.

Rather than increasing your wattage, try getting higher efficiency bulbs. Note, this does not mean "xenon" or "ultra-white" or "HID-look" crap. These are halogen bulbs which produce more light than a standard efficiency bulb of the same design, by utilising advances in filament design and geometry developed for H7 and H9 bulbs.

Philips Premium and Osram Super are +30% bulbs, aka high efficiency. They produce 30% more usable light, and last as long as a standard bulb. Osram Silverstars (NOT Sylvania), Philips VisionPlus and GE Nighthawk bulbs are ultra-high efficiency bulbs, producing 50% more usable light but at a sharp cost to their lifespan.

Osram Nightbreaker and Philips Xtreme claim 80-90% more usable light, but I have not been able to find any information on expected lifespan, though given they are an advancement on the ultra-high efficiency bulbs, I expect them to be no better than the 50%'s 150 hours.

85gtsblackman
04-15-2008, 03:42 AM
ive had the crappy h4 housings, ive had sealed beams, i have sealed siverstars, i love my autopal housings with my hella h4 bulbs.

david in germany
04-15-2008, 05:22 AM
You mean the standard sealed beam sylvanias or the like? I still have my old lights. but they are so dim I keep them just in case a bulb blows and I can't get to Autozone or Strauss.
The unit itself is OK, I just want one of the H4 conversion housings that will light up well.
No the European celicas came with Housings with swappable H4 bulbs shaped for the celica.
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/7/8/P1020504.JPG
Pardon the dirty pictures. This is when I 1st got the housings (mine have been installed since 95 and these I picked up as spares but i doubt I will need them.)
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/7/8/P1020508.JPG

donteatbugs
04-15-2008, 05:31 AM
when i go hid i will be getting the cibie housings they arent that much more and they produce a good result from hid bulbs.

btw. nice ED subs down there david

Galcobar
04-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Oh damn, wish I'd known you had those before I bought my housings.

Can you pull the part number off them so other people can order if they wish?

david in germany
04-15-2008, 07:29 AM
when i go hid i will be getting the cibie housings they arent that much more and they produce a good result from hid bulbs.

btw. nice ED subs down there david

LOL my EU700's collecting dust! wanna buy some? hehe

By the way, Murgatroy called dibs on the housings.

david in germany
04-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Oh damn, wish I'd known you had those before I bought my housings.

Can you pull the part number off them so other people can order if they wish?

I'll check and see if there is a part number on them but I am not sure if a stateside dealer can get them or not.

donteatbugs
04-15-2008, 10:13 AM
i would get them if i needed more subs. i have 2 of the old ed flat cones and 2 cdt 8" right now.

david in germany
04-15-2008, 12:41 PM
i would get them if i needed more subs. i have 2 of the old ed flat cones and 2 cdt 8" right now.

I also have 3 12o.14 flatcones and about 5-6 of the EU700's in dual 2 and dual 4 configs.
I will be selling one of the 12o.14's in the next week or so (installing into a coworkers car)

donteatbugs
04-16-2008, 12:46 AM
i like them flatcones. i have the 12k.44. my gf is running one in a ported 1.3 cube box tuned to 28hz in her tc with 200w and it sounds really good. better than most crappy 2 sub systems i hear around here.

dups90gt
04-24-2008, 05:15 AM
question, im about to switch over to HID's and I was wondering if those of you who have switched over , had to angle your lights down or adjust the angle of the housing? someone told me to adjust it (pointed a few degrees down) ... cops kept stopping him for his lights?? anyone have this problem?

Galcobar
04-24-2008, 05:31 AM
HID and any ECE beam pattern light has to be aimed quite differently from a DOT beam pattern.

Of course, this assumes you're talking about a proper HID installation using HID lenses (projector or reflector, cannot be configured for halogen bulbs), as the light production is significantly different between the two light sources.

As a general rule, the problem lies in two areas. One, someone puts what they think are HID bulbs into a halogen housing, when what they're actually using are blue-tinted halogens with xenon as part of the gas mix. DOT beam patterns are designed to throw light up into the air (and oncoming drivers' eyes), and blue light is particularly painful at night.

The other is someone put HID bulbs into a halogen housing (reflector or projector, doesn't really matter). Now you've got very intense light being directed into a DOT beam pattern. HIDs are never meant to be used with DOT beam patterns precisely because improperly aimed HID lamps are so glaring.

dups90gt
04-25-2008, 01:51 AM
I have HID with low beams only (dont think Ill ever need highs with em) got them from my old Saab 93 which are made in the USA. not ebay ones. I did get stopped a few times in the Saab but I toled them they were stock on European cars so they let me off. If I get the diamond cut ones off ebay will it be ok to use with HIDs?

Galcobar
04-25-2008, 05:28 AM
Halogen housings are not okay to use with HID.

aballz
05-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Would you lose your highbeams with the autopal conversion?

mspired13
06-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Just got my AutoPal E-Code in. Installed them...and love them!! Such a sharp cutoff!! I didn't expect it to be like that. For those who don't have it yet...the cutoff is similar to that of a projector cutoff. The housing seems to be really good quality. The bulbs that came with them are not that bright...so I switched them out. I modified the housing and took off the glare guards...Much better. I know its illegal to tamper with light housings...but oh wells...e codes are not legal already....but even with the glare guards out...the light still shoots right in front and not all over the place. I had the sealed beams performance before and the fake eBay projectors. They both suck. The projector ones shot light in all angles and was very hazy and not sharp. It was like driving with foggy high beams on. They light up much better then the sealed beam, but the light was everywhere. The AutoPal E-Code have 100% usuable light and is 300% better then the sealed beams. For about $40+ it is a worth wild investment. Oh...and you don't lose your high beam. You will convert to 9003 or H4, it has low and hi. And it is plug and play. No special harness or mods. Remember not to touch the bulb!!!

aballz
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Did you buy the diamond cuts or the regular?

VikingJZ
06-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey carlos where did you get your HIDs

Luni
06-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Get the Autopals or the Ecodes.

I have autopals on my MR2 (H4s, same as you celica guys would use) and they are pretty much identical to E-codes at half the cost.

I have H4 HIDs in my autopals and I LOVE my headlights at night. My car is SOOO much brighter than anything else on the road generally. If Im in a lane next to another car, my headlights overlay on the road in front of them and washes out their lights.

Luni
06-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Heres a blurry picture of my HIDs.. You can see how damn bright they are on the road.

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/mr2rollin.jpg

mspired13
06-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Wow! Nice HID! What brand is it? I have been relunctant to buy them off of ebay. I got the non-diamond ones, because I didn't want to get pulled over by the cops. The non-diamond ones, look like stock original parts so they won't question them. I have not had diamond cut ones yet...but stay away from the fake projector ones off of ebay.

aballz
06-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Over here in San Francisco, California, they aren't too strict with headlamps. Unless it's glaring so high at every car that passes you in the opposite direction gets blinded, you wouldn't get in trouble. I'm assuming the autopal diamond cuts and the regular one still have a pretty sharp cutoff so no one gets blinded right?

Luni
06-05-2008, 12:33 AM
You dont want to run diamond cuts with HIDs. It messes up the beam pattern and makes it spotty.

I have Mccullogh H4s, just lows, no highs. Plug and play, no relays, rewiring, nothing to install.

mspired13
06-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Mccullogh H4s. I heard those were pretty nice. Where did you get yours and how much for the kit? My high beam light switch is broken, so I only use the low beam anyways. Thanks for the info!

aballz
06-05-2008, 11:57 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5000K-McCulloch-HID-Xenon-Kit-All-type-Free-Shipping_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a552Q7c39 Q3a1Q7c65Q3a12QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m370057450250QQitemZ370057450250

Looks like they're about 250.

mspired13
06-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Thank you!! Looks like a real good deal! I live in the Seattle area, so it rains a lot here. Hoe does 5000K light or other color temperature show up in the rain? Any experience? I know that as you go up in temperature color scale, you start losing light.

Luni
06-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Mine are 8k I THINK. They are really white, and I got them used, and the previous owner wasnt sure, but mine show up GREAT in the rain.

celica9303
06-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Any pics from Out of the car luni?

Luni
06-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah, Ill get some pictures for you tonight if I remember.

aballz
06-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I think 5k temp should show in the rain pretty well. Isn't that what factory vehicles with HIDs are rated at now?

mspired13
06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info! I was just curious which color to go with. And yes, most OEM are 5000K. I will take your guys info into consideration. :)

Luni
06-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Pictures never do HIDs any justice, but heres mine

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/ATT4098936.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/ATT4098937.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/ATT4098938.jpg

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/1/ATT4098939.jpg

aballz
06-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Holy wow, they look VERY nice Luni. Nice job. Pictures like that make me want to get a kit! lol

mspired13
06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
WOW!! SO PRETTY!!! Love the cutoff