PDA

View Full Version : a automatic 3sgte?

Boosted91celiGTS
04-14-2008, 08:15 AM
hey guys, im new to the site, i have a 1990 celica GTS, i want to do the 3sgte engine swap,but unfortuantly my car is a automatic, im wondering if it is still possible to do the swap, or will have to convert my car to manuel aswell?

Murgatroy
04-14-2008, 11:57 AM
It has been done before. There is a member here who swapped a 3SGTE and kept an auto tranny.

I am not sure of his specs or anything, but it would make sense that if your 5SFE flexplate bolts up to the 3SGTE it would just swap right over. With that said, I am not certain it would bolt up.

You can of course also swap to a manual tranny, it would be recommended. I don't think the auto was designed to handle the power of the 3SGTE.

The Captain
04-14-2008, 12:27 PM
You need the flex plate from an automatic 3SGE motor. Came in some early camrys I believe.

extremeskillz
04-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Question is how well does it hold up with the 3sgte? Because if its just as reliable, i see this swap in my future!

burnyd
04-14-2008, 01:21 PM
yah Ive seen two swaps that have done it.. I really wouldnt recommend trying it. It would be alot easier to go to a junkyard and find a 5 speed gt/gts and take everything out of it transmission wise... clutch plate/shifter setup/shift cables/tranny/slave,master cly, and of course the tranny!

85gtsblackman
04-14-2008, 03:46 PM
3sge never came in the camry, only 4th gen celica gt-s's

The Captain
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure.

Boosted91celiGTS
04-15-2008, 03:34 AM
o okay, has anyone on the board done the conversion from automatic to manuel and know how much it will cost? im just alil in a bind because im going to turbo my 5sfe as it is now and run it for awhile or untill i blow it up lol

19celica90
04-15-2008, 05:06 AM
from my time browsing 6gc.net(a forum dedicated to the 6th generation celica) every automatic 3sgte fails. At least the transmission does. That site seems to have alot more auto 3s's, but you'll see that the trans cannot take the power/torque that the 3sgte puts out.

One thing to note tho, even if you do get it swapped in with an auto trans, it really kills the performance. Looking at some dyno charts, it makes about 20-30whp less on an auto trans than a manual. Why? Well, the trans shifts for you, you're not in boost as long and the gearing is poopier compared to a manual.

I dont want to say it, but even going to get the whole manual swap, it'd make more sense trying to get a manual gt-s. I know you really like you're car and dont want to part ways with it. But, a trans, all the trans accessories, labor of doing the conversion, will be quite alot. Unless you can do it all yourself. A normal 3sgte front clip will run you about 2500, add that to the list and you can easily run a 6-8000 dollar tab.

I dont want to scare you away, but i noticed you said you were on a tight budget. Money can be spent fairly quick on these cars, or any car for that matter. And i wouldnt even bother trying to turbo your 5s right now. What would be smart would to sell your 5s and trans to someone to help save up for a front clip. Sell the awd trans or trade someone for a 5s trans.
Hope this helps!

VikingJZ
04-15-2008, 06:05 AM
You might look into finding an automatic out of a JDM Caldina GTFOUR from the ST215 chassis. I'm pretty sure they have an auto tranny and it would probably take the same amount of work as a standard All Trac five speed conversion.

I know if you can find a fourth gen 3SGTE from the 215, it should be available with an auto.

RedRkt01
04-15-2008, 11:05 PM
I just bought a ST215 3SGTE and it is coming with an auto tranny. I'll eventually be selling it off should someone be interested. However, I don't know when that will be. Several weeks at a minimum.

Lagos
04-16-2008, 12:23 AM
You should to the manual and awd conversion....aka, sell your car and buy an alltrac.