PDA

View Full Version : My timing advance experience

anthony560
04-13-2008, 07:09 PM
So yeah I go to pop my hood, locate the diagnostic box, and put my little paper clip in the E1 and TE1 sockets. I then walked over and shined my timing light gun down on the crank where the timing notch is and discovered something that made the hair stand up on my neck. The car had already been advanced, but it wasn't just advanced a few degrees, it was out like 25 more degrees. So I sat there and said holy shit. :ohyeah: So anyways to make a long story short I set it back to 13 degrees, put some high grade fuel in it and drove it around it felt much better and smoother. So all that time I never knew what was wrong with the idle on my car, I thought it needed new motor mounts. It turned out someone that didnt know what they were doing screwed with the timing and Midship and I got in there and fixed it.

celicaGT90_05
04-13-2008, 07:38 PM
lol you'll get that kinda stuff all the time, people think oh its so simple, I can do this and they have no idea what the hell they are getting themselves in to. You should see some of the "I'll fix it myself"'s on the geo, luckily nothing motor or tranny wise, or even interior, its all exterior but some of it makes me wonder wtf were they thinking. Also, while doing some rewiring on the ranger this past winter, I found an obscure wire set in the ranger, something aftermarket that leads all around the dash. It was in there in an extremely weird way, and I got most of it traced but had to stop when it went to the top of the dash, Im really wanting to find out what thats about

grayscale
04-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Seem to be a lot of people out there who think it's good enough to set the timing "by ear". I know most of the idiot rednecks around here do.

Murgatroy
04-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Seem to be a lot of people out there who think it's good enough to set the timing "by ear". I know most of the idiot rednecks around here do.
Hey!

I can set timing by ear on a SBC.

I wouldn't dare to do it on a EFI car.

anthony560
04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah well who ever set this one must have been def and dump. I knew driving around the car something didnt sound right and it really felt like it needed new mounts so thats what I just figured

Supra Goddess
04-13-2008, 11:53 PM
I've had to set timing by "ear" a few times due to electrical issues. Wasn't able to disengage spark advance so the timing would read 20-25BTDC, if you tried to retard it down to 10-15 it would idle and run like dogshit so we just left it at 25 and she ran fine.