PDA

View Full Version : painting the head

Tommy
04-13-2008, 03:09 AM
whats the best steps to paint the head?

Ricksta
04-13-2008, 03:25 AM
the head or the valve cover? pretty damn positive you dont want to paint the actual head...

Tommy
04-13-2008, 03:44 AM
whoops my bad the valve cover

tuner4life
04-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Take it off and remove any and all grease. I use Engine enamel (or any other super high temp primer) Then Whatever color you want. Then use a high temp clear coat (engine enamel I think is what I used). Let it dry for a while, and then scrape away the paint from the oil cap mating surfaces/threads (or if you are smart, tape it off before, as well as any other features such as pcv valve gromet, etc). Hope it works out good for you!!

The Captain
04-13-2008, 08:04 PM
powder coated mine

Tommy
04-13-2008, 11:59 PM
im hoping it will work out good to cause last night someone just really fucking pissed me off. someone broke into my car and messed up my drivers window. and the one time i forget to take my deck out of the car someone ripped it right out. busted up all the trim around it and just unpluged the wires. so all thats back there is the plugs what happen to people using dykes or something. man it sucks i woke up to get ready for work and i felt like shit i knew i wasnt going to make it through the day. then as my dad leaves to go to work close to noon he came back in and told me someone broke into my car. im hoping insurance fixes everything just filed a claim.

Ricksta
04-14-2008, 01:27 AM
damn sorry to hear about that. untill then post us up a pic of your engine bay

brak
04-14-2008, 08:09 AM
powder coated mine

AGREE

you could use the engine enamel rattle can stuff (had good results with VHT), but powder will provide the best result, in both appearance and durability.

make a few calls, and you should be able to find a powder coater for a reasonable price. :D

juggernaut
04-15-2008, 03:28 PM
the head or the valve cover? pretty damn positive you dont want to paint the actual head...
why wouldnt you want to paint the cylinder head?

20v Blacktop ST
04-15-2008, 07:59 PM
What kind of a price range do you think it would be to get a valve cover powder coated?

20v Blacktop ST
04-16-2008, 02:31 AM
Well nix that last post, I finally found a local shop to powder my valve cover for $60, but then I have to go to another body shop to get the spark plug and cam cover repainted/clear coated for another $60. I'll be going with a fire engine red for the valve cover, and gonna get the spark plug/cam covers resprayed black, but they are gonna do the lettering "20V TWIN CAM" in red so that it all matches up when I order the red T3 velocity stacks for my ITB's. If anybody knows of anyone that can do it cheaper in Jax, let me know.

Ricksta
04-16-2008, 03:23 AM
why wouldnt you want to paint the cylinder head?

have you ever painted aluminum?

Ricksta
04-16-2008, 03:24 AM
Well nix that last post, I finally found a local shop to powder my valve cover for $60, but then I have to go to another body shop to get the spark plug and cam cover repainted/clear coated for another $60. I'll be going with a fire engine red for the valve cover, and gonna get the spark plug/cam covers resprayed black, but they are gonna do the lettering "20V TWIN CAM" in red so that it all matches up when I order the red T3 velocity stacks for my ITB's. If anybody knows of anyone that can do it cheaper in Jax, let me know.
post pics of your engine bay for me :)

juggernaut
04-19-2008, 05:19 AM
have you ever painted aluminum?
well nothig is really coming to mind. i dont believe i ever have. whats bad about aluminum?

Tommy
04-23-2008, 06:00 PM
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee107/Tommy527/celica001.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee107/Tommy527/enginebay.jpg

Tommy
04-23-2008, 06:01 PM
thats all i have for now still looking around for my cord.

Tommy
04-23-2008, 06:02 PM
oh yeah and the head is not that dirty any more it has been pressure washed.

Ricksta
04-24-2008, 12:29 AM
well nothig is really coming to mind. i dont believe i ever have. whats bad about aluminum?

paint dont stick

Ricksta
04-24-2008, 12:31 AM
thats all i have for now still looking around for my cord.

well its a lot of work gettin somethin like that clean!

it really depends on how far you wanna go!

if the rest of your car is in good shape, take the motor out, clean out the engine bay, repaint, then replace water pump and timing belt while its out.

use a lot of easy off oven cleaner and clean that dirty motor up! put her back in and put some ceramic headers that would look sweet! anytime i ever saw the chrome headers on some vtec bishes they were always rusted. maybe they were cheap who knows?!?!

Tommy
04-24-2008, 02:13 AM
i have been looking for a header on ebay they are always going around $380. i have no time to take out the motor its my daily. and the timing belt was just replaced with the crank pulley front main seal power steering belt and the other belt i forget what its called right now. i want to redew my ignition does anyone run a full msd ignition? let me know thats what i would like to run. or what would you prefer?

Ricksta
04-24-2008, 02:46 AM
msd doesnt really do ya any good unless you get the really high dollar stuff but you still wont see much from imports out of it. its more of a domestic thing. i personally wouldnt redo the engine bay like i suggested unless you were doing a swap.

dunno where your lookin but here is a header for 60 bucks. they are all pretty cheap on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Celica-2-2L-GT-94-99-5SFE-Exhaust-Header-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ133195QQihZ017QQite mZ270230531292QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Ricksta
04-24-2008, 02:56 AM
ah wait never mind that one is for 94 and up. most of the ones on there are for mr2's. im sure you can still use those though.

CriScO
04-24-2008, 03:20 AM
i want to redew my ignition does anyone run a full msd ignition?

I do...
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32313

Like Ricksta said, I wouldn't expect anything out of it other then sharper throttle response. What it helps with is holding power through the entire RPM range, so if the car is tuned for high end power the ignition doesn't struggle.