PDA

View Full Version : cleaning aluminum/chrome rims?

Okctrd
04-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Hey guys i got some rims, that are like these http://www.pandagarage.com/wheels%20page/July07/Weds%20RS-5.htm

but instead the lip is chromish/aliminum polished, the thing is that they have brake dust and bronze spots on the lips, i bought some Mothers Chrome Polish and it removed a lot of that brown stuff off. but there are still some places thats really hard and it wont come off. Anyone know of any other products that i could use clean these brownish spots?? (i was thinking of gasoline, or paint thinner)

thanks

donteatbugs
04-10-2008, 05:53 AM
what about the mothers mag and alluminum polish. ive used it to take all kinds of shit off just about any metal.

Okctrd
04-10-2008, 06:23 AM
hmm i think i got the wrong product then lol
http://www.mothers.com/products/ i got the last one in tire wheel care.

im going to give that a try (donteatbugs) thanks !
i was also reading around that noxon is really good too? anyone had any experience with that one?

Galcobar
04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Chrome polish is a different beast than aluminum polish -- aluminum oxide is an extremely hard substance, and is the primary reason why aluminim siding works.

If your wheels are aluminum, you want to use a polish suited to the material.

Put it this way: chrome is about as hard as glass. Aluminum oxide is used as a cheap abrasive alternative to industrial diamonds.

celicaGT90_05
04-10-2008, 02:24 PM
for regular cleaning, armorall wheel cleaner works great, it takes off all kinds of stuff. After you do that, you could then polish off what ever's left

celica91gts
04-10-2008, 02:25 PM
after you are done cleaning off all these spots. to prevent them from happening again i would advise against cleaning your rims while they are hot or even warm. after these spots are gone just use warm water and some dish soap. in my opinion i found that works best. this might help you with your current problem. http://www.superiorcarcare.net/meguiars-aluminum-wheel-cleaner.html

extremeskillz
04-10-2008, 03:06 PM
I use armoral wheel cleaner to wash them then mothers chrome polish to maintain them. I also wax them from time to time.

VikingJZ
04-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Mothers mag and aluminum polish. Or this stuff thats baby blue. I forget the name but it smells like Brasso. Maybe Blue Polish? idk

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
04-10-2008, 11:01 PM
if you really want to you can use acid/water mix...just dont leave it on your rims very long and dont use acid mix on your rims very often...thats what we use at work sometimes, mostly a degreaser mix....both mixes come from a vendor called PRO...idk if its only local or nationwide, never checked into that much, they just come to us every thursday....but after you do that i would wax them, keeps them protected for a bit and also helps the shine :)

Okctrd
04-11-2008, 01:21 AM
thanks for the info guys, im going to try that mag/mothers polish and see how it turns out! i'll post before and after pics lol