PDA

View Full Version : Advance auto parts = FAIL!!

tuner4life
04-09-2008, 04:18 AM
I just, a month and a half ago, replaced the entire rest of my steering system (pump was done 3 months before). I replaced: tie rod ends, rack and pinion, and both pressure hoses. Here I am a month and a half later, and the steering failed again.

Last night, it drove fine. But when I went to go to work this morning, I had no power steering, and the rack seemed to have tight and loose spots (about every 1/2 turn). I have the front up on jack stands now, and I get the same tight and loose condition when turning even when the car is off. The pump isn't making any weird noises, and if feels like it is trying to turn. The rack just feels like it is getting bound up. So I am assuming that the rack is probably bad correct??

If This is the case, Which I assume it is, I will be calling Advance Auto Parts, where I got it from and ordering a replacement (lifetime warranty). But I am also going to try to get them to pay for having an alignment done ($60, and I have the reciept to prove it to them). Has anyone done anything like that?? I imagine that they arent going to want to pay for any other expenses caused by their faulty parts. But We'll see how it goes.

P.S.: I should still be going to the Dragon. I will pull as many all nighters as I need to to get it done :naughty:

grayscale
04-09-2008, 04:23 AM
Interesting. I assume this was a remanufactured rack?

tuner4life
04-09-2008, 04:35 AM
^ Yes

CriScO
04-09-2008, 04:40 AM
The basic policy accross all auto parts chains is that they are not responsible for any labor charges incurred. As unfortunate as it is, you're probably SOL on the alignment.

I'd go in and ask for the store manager. There will be nothing he can do at the store level outside of getting you the part, but he should be able to get you a claim form to be filled out by you and your mechanic. That will be sent to their corporate office for approval. There's no way of getting around paying for the alignment yourself, but if you're lucky they'll reimburse you later.

With that said, being in parts sales myself, remember that they had no idea what the condition of the part was. One company remans and tests the part, the stores buy it from that company. Advance and it's employees have no way of knowing if the part is good or not other than trusting the company that rebuilt it. My main point is try and be polite to the guys at the parts counter, they have nothing to do with it. :)

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
04-09-2008, 04:42 AM
thats why you dont go to stores like advance for parts like that...

donteatbugs
04-09-2008, 04:59 AM
racks cost a lot of money. i know this for a fact

grayscale
04-09-2008, 07:26 AM
^ Yes
LKQ Recyclers FTL. LKQ is a parts recycling company that the Parts America chains(Advanced, Schucks, Checkers, Kragen,...) buys most of their remand' parts from. I've known 2 guys who have worked for them in the past and both have warned me about their parts. I believe O'Reilly and Pep Boys do also. Now that I look at it though, I see only beck arnley and cardone listed for for racks at Advance? Did you get the cardone rack? Their stuff is typically pretty good, not as good as new, but still better than most.
Unfortunately, what Chris said is all to true. They hold no liability beyond the part itself. Did you put the rack in or did you have a shop do it?

celicaGT90_05
04-09-2008, 07:35 AM
almost sounds like they screwed up the ratio, as if the pinion isnt made to work with the rack, or maybe the teeth got messed up on the pinion. At least you have an ltw

VikingJZ
04-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Yeah Turner but get this.....no one else would price match the DEALERSHIP on the valve cover gaskets.

I call ADVANCE and they said the *set* is $49. I told them that Gates Toyota has them for the Supra for $13.66 per side.

but thats not the set. I get the set for $26.

yayer

ciento44
04-09-2008, 06:27 PM
I vote return it. Drive to indy. Get a steering rack out of the pick a part here for like $50. Ditch the power steering, it's main purpose is to leak anyways.

anthony560
04-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah i had the same problem at a pepboys with an alternator. I learned that all those auto stores suck. The only thing you do with them is buy parts after they installed my first alternator i will never trust any of those auto stores again.

tuner4life
04-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah It was the Cardone rack and pinion.

I called them this morning, and they had no problem ordering another one for me. But when I asked tham if there was any way to get reimbursed for the alignment, they said that they are only responsible for the replacement part. Although I will have a chat with the manager about it when I actually pick it up.

I put the rack in prettymuch myself. I paid a friend of mine (also mechanic) $60 to help with the replacement of the rack/hoses, and to "rent" a stall in his garage for a day. Then another $60 to get it aligned. My dad found a place that has a "pothole special" which is a 4 wheel alignment for $39. So I Probably will go w/ that.

Ciento44:
I would go without PS, but I like the ease of drivability with it. I've driven too many cars without PS to want to deal without it everyday. (Yes, I do drive it every day, except for winters when It is garaged). Plus, now every part in the power steering system is new, so there shouldn't be any problems.

tuner4life
04-09-2008, 08:32 PM
almost sounds like they screwed up the ratio, as if the pinion isnt made to work with the rack, or maybe the teeth got messed up on the pinion. At least you have an ltw

Yeah, I dont know what happened, It drove fine for a month and a half, then I parked it one night, and the next morning, I had no PS. and the rack felt like it was binding up.

grayscale
04-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I put the rack in pretty much myself.etc...
Yeah, definitely not gonna get reimbursed. Some, not many, but some, are picky enough that they will only warranty the part if it's installed by a pro. Just don't say anything about that if they ask.;)

grayscale
04-09-2008, 08:36 PM
I wish I could get a $39 dollar alignment though.

tuner4life
04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have a little $ coming in this week. so I will be ok. I was only concerned with the $ for the alignment cuz I really dont want to miss the Dragon.

The Captain
04-10-2008, 04:25 AM
I wish I could get a $39 dollar alignment though.

I just spent a hundred for one of those.

VikingJZ
04-10-2008, 05:52 AM
Turner thats a weaksauce excuse for not wanting PS. My rack practically leaked out as soon as you put a bottle of fluid in. It went through one bottle every week. So I let it leak out and ripped out the res. and cut the belt.

It was so much fun. Turning isn't a big deal either. I could still parallel park that shit into tight spots. I'm good at parallel parking though. I learned the hard way by doing it in our van with limo tint windows. THAT was fun

tuner4life
04-10-2008, 07:32 AM
I've driven several cars w/o power steering, and they suck to drive. Also, my problem isnt actually with any power steering parts, the rack is seizing up, which has nothing to do with the pressure lines or pump. It's something mechanical inside the rack.

I Just like everything to be done right, and since it isn't a dedicated track car, it's pretty much a DD, I want it to be in complete factory working condition, If something is to changed, it should be for the better, not just cutting stuff out.

Because you know that removing any power steering accessories is worth at least 50hp at the wheels, and shaves about 2.57 seconds off of your quarter mile time. Who gives a shit if you can turn around at the other end of the track, or make any kind of 2 or 3 point turn around.

tuner4life
04-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Oh yeah, and if you dont have power steering, you may end up like the stupid cop in my sig, only you will have a legitimate reason. :hehe:

VikingJZ
04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
^^^:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ciento44
04-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Oh yeah, and if you dont have power steering, you may end up like the stupid cop in my sig, only you will have a legitimate reason. :hehe:

oh please... only if you're too much of a puss to crank the HUGE freaking stock celica wheel with enough leverage even i could probably put 300lbs of pressure turning it.

VikingJZ
04-10-2008, 08:04 PM
^ :laugh:

PWNT.

ciento44
04-10-2008, 08:40 PM
No, but seriously... you remove the power steering correctly, and it's not that big of a deal at all.

Take it ALL off, and recirculate the rack. That way you're not fighting the pump. THAT'S what makes it hard, because most of the cars you've driven without power steering was just because it was broken.

You'd be incredibly surprised at how easy a car without power steering done properly is to get around.

hemlocke
04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey, does anyone make a non-PS rack? Maybe an aftermarket unit, like Flaming River does for muscle car steering gearboxes?

VikingJZ
04-11-2008, 12:04 AM
QFT Ben Jammin

tuner4life
04-11-2008, 01:07 AM
I see what you all are saying about the power steering delete, but it would be pointless right now, because the pump and lines are brand new and dont leak at all. The rack is just binding up, which has nothing to do with the Power steering, it's something mechanical.

If any of the power steering stuff goes out (i.e.: pump dies, hoses/lines leak), then I might consider the PS delete. Does anyone going to the dragon have a correctly done PS delete?? Ciento, dont you? I am interested in trying it out.

VikingJZ
04-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Well now yeah.

Two months ago I was advocating for a complete and proper removal and NOT like what I did. What I did was to cut costs because a certain repair shop had just layed me off for an employee of lower intelligence (per my 32 ACT score).

tuner4life
04-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Alright...

I got the new rack from advanced, and had no problems getting it. They did show me in writing that they are not liable for other related expenses involved with replacing the faulty part. But if this happens again... :ar: .

So anyways, I get it installed and aligned and it's like a new car...Again.

Now it's dragon or bust!!

VikingJZ
04-15-2008, 05:46 PM
You should write a letter to the district about their policies and claim some outlandish stuff that you will do if you have to replace this rack again within an unreasonable amount of time.

I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to AutoZone about what happened the other week with my valve cover gaskets. That was complete bullshit what they did, having a non store employee misquoting people and not being able to match the price they told me.

Crock of chit.