PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol?

p-thomas
04-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Almost all gas stations in FL now have the stickers "May contain up to 10% ethanol". The good news is that many don't have ethanol yet (I've tested it since we can't have ethanol in the boat or airplane).

I'm however worried about the effect on our cars because I'm not going to test the gas I put in my car. Other states have been running ethanol for a while, did anyone run into issues?

I have a 95 st.

Thanks guys,

(It's nice to see familiar name from the c.net days. I think my handle was 95stcelica)

extremeskillz
04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Ive been running 93 v-power in my car since ive owned my car. It contains 10% ethanol. Actually all Shell gas has 10% ethanol. And no probs. Only issue is that fact ethanol is like a cleanin agent and will eat up a lot of carbon and break down you rubber fuel lines. Any vehicle made before 96 i believe have petroleum based fuel lines. I would keep and eye out for leaks in the future. I plan on changing mine out to more updated fuel lines made of synthetic material. Same goes for people using Bio diesel instead of rugular diesel.

20v Blacktop ST
04-13-2008, 03:04 AM
I was actually looking for a station that carried 85 ethanol, just because of the fact that my engine is used to a higher octane and it's supposed to be cheaper than 100 octane. But I'm planning on switching out my entire fuel system(pump, lines, injectors). Couldn't find one that carries it in Jacksonville to test it so I think I'm just gonna stick with the Sunoco I found about 4 miles from my house that has 100 octane.

Murgatroy
04-13-2008, 03:35 AM
10% ethanol is fine. It has been mixed with regular gas for years.

For an E85 conversion, as mentioned above, just change out your fuel lines and related components to alcohol safe ones (nitrile) and you will be fine.

I am not sure how it would work with a JDM engine and ECU, but it would be wise to retune a USDM engine. I have heard good things about power gains from E85, however, this does come with an economy loss.

I plan on a 'flex fuel' conversion when I swap Mudhoney.

20v Blacktop ST
04-13-2008, 06:22 PM
I read that the 85 burns faster, so more consumption therefore not really saving money at the pump filling up, just cleaner for the enviroment. I think I read it at MSN.com somewhere. Can anyone tell me how much faster 100 burns compared to 93.

p-thomas
04-14-2008, 11:48 AM
I read that the 85 burns faster, so more consumption therefore not really saving money at the pump filling up, just cleaner for the enviroment. I think I read it at MSN.com somewhere. Can anyone tell me how much faster 100 burns compared to 93.
Thanks guys. I like good news, hopefully they won't ever put more than 10% around here.

As far as I know, you'll burn 100 as fast as 93 or 87. There is nothing to be gained by running higher octane than you need.

extremeskillz
04-14-2008, 01:23 PM
^unless your boosting and running a custom built engine of course.

20v Blacktop ST
04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Well the blacktop is high compression, not looking for gains, just trying to prevent knock when I'm revving at 8000 and up. The 100 should be fine since thats what they run in Japan, and everywhere I've read about the blacktop they say to run it if you can afford it. Unfortunately it's 6.79/gal, so I think I'll be doing half tanks mixed with 93. But hey, at least I won't need to put octane booster in every tank anymore.

p-thomas
07-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Update:
The lines are metal, except where connections are needed. It's some kind of flexible rubber (needed to absorb the vibration), but it doesn't seem affected so far. If those connections ever become a problem, they should be an easy fix. Did I just jinx myself?