PDA

View Full Version : Fifth gen A/C

convertiblechick
02-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Did they use freon in '93's?? If they did and I hafta change it over thats mucho moola.

MoralWarfare
02-26-2005, 03:59 PM
nah i think you have 134a. check your compressor, it should have a label on it.

Psyko
02-26-2005, 05:15 PM
nah i think you have 134a. check your compressor, it should have a label on it.

Yea, you might have to change it, and its not that expensive to do if you buy a do it yourself kit. Just gotta find a way to drain whats left in there, it is illeagel to just let it go into the air. But if the system is already empty you can follow the directions in those kits and you will be home free

alltracman78
02-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally you had R12. You can still get that some places, but it's really expensive.
All newer cars [and alot of older ones have been converted to] have R134a. The way to tell is look at the ports on your ac.[they look kinda like a bike tire valve] Theres 1 on right be the pass side strut tower and 1 in front of your rad, next to the dr side headlight.
If you have the new stuff [R134a] you will have a larger size connector screwed onto the ports. If theres nothing on them [they should both have a dust cap] you have the old style [R12].
The best way to do it is go to a shop and have them evacutate your system. This sucks everything out of the ac system, leaving a vaccum. Then they will put the new gas in.
Also,if you have the $$, and want the ac to work at it's best, you should replace the expansion valve, dryer, and all the O-rings.
Expansion valve and dryer 'cause your system probably has moisture/dust/whatever in it.
And the O-rings 'cause the R134a is a smaller molecule of gas than the R12, and the old O-rings will let the gas leak out faster.
The expansion valve drips liquid R134a into the evaporator [when a liquid expands into a gas it cools] under your dash.
The dryer takes out all the crap in the system that isn't supposed to be there. Think of it as the filter. It's right under that port by the headlight.

convertiblechick
02-27-2005, 05:59 AM
Ill check on it it could very well be the previous owner had changed it. He had the car all 11 years.

Lemme tell ya, this is one spoiled car :laugh: It even gets covered when it snows. :owned: