PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo! Just bough a TWM short shifter for the 'vert!

StormyBklyn
04-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Can't wait to get it. I also put the CAI in today. Barely noticable throttle response, no big deal, but it did fix a little problem that I was having with a some rough idling. When I pulled the stock airbox out, I noticed that there was a large crack in the tubing of the old intake. Now she's idling around 700rpm, no shaking, no jumps in the idle, smooth, no rattling! And, it sounds a lot better than the stock intake.
If only tomorrow would go as well as today, I'll be driving the All Trac again! YAY!

Colossus20v
04-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Thats cool. Glad you were able to fix it with a simple solution. Did you leave the bottom of the box in so it can still circulate the air well? Or did you just remove the whole thing except the fender stuff?

Whats the alltrac getting tomorrow?

StormyBklyn
04-06-2008, 04:51 AM
Thats cool. Glad you were able to fix it with a simple solution. Did you leave the bottom of the box in so it can still circulate the air well? Or did you just remove the whole thing except the fender stuff?

Whats the alltrac getting tomorrow?

I ripped the whole thing out. Made it easier. And the whole box was a nasty mess.

I am replacing the power steering pump and high pressure line, the front wheel studs, brake pads and rotors tomorrow.
I started last weekend, but broke three wheel studs getting the passenger wheel off. So I bought 10 front and 10 rear wheel studs, and since I have to do all that work, I bought rotors and pads too. Ugh, I'm getting started at 9:00 tomorrow, I hate getting up early on weekends....

celicaGT90_05
04-06-2008, 05:28 AM
thats good that it fixed one of your issues. I chopped my intake a bit today so I could relocate the filter to a better area. I cut the pipe I had piced in the update about 6-8 inches and then cut this 2nd pipe I had about an inch, and now the filter is right behind the battery right beside the fender. It actually did help a bit, so I was pleased. I didnt manage to get pics yet though, havent had time

celica91gts
04-06-2008, 10:41 AM
congrats on the twm ss. i have one as well and its a big throw improvement. now we both need to jsut save up for those hella expensive weighted knobs huuh?

StormyBklyn
04-07-2008, 05:16 AM
congrats on the twm ss. i have one as well and its a big throw improvement.

Does the shift knob sit lower with the TWM? Aside from the quicker shifting, especially from 1st to 2nd, I want the shifter to sit lower.

now we both need to jsut save up for those hella expensive weighted knobs huuh?

Tell me about it! Those weighted knobs are pricey as hell! I have an old brushed aluminum weighted knob, but I'm not a fan of the way it looks, but if I have problems with my TRD knob, I'll swap it out.

celica9303
04-08-2008, 08:49 PM
It will sit lower. Pics of the install for the shifter and possible write up as I am hopefully getting the money to order one sat for my birthday

METDeath
04-09-2008, 06:48 AM
For those of you with the shifter... can you reasonably use your cup holders and hit 1st, 3rd, and 5th without issues? Or is it still in the way?

91 Celica GT-S
04-09-2008, 10:51 AM
i want to answer this! if your not holding the shifter with your hand than it will barely miss by like 2cm but if your hand is there which is where it should be since your shifting then be prepared to hit your cup which will hit your head unit and it changes the song from a totally cool one to one thats the ghey and right when theres a hot chick in the car next to you. thats just the way of the cup holder

METDeath
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
i want to answer this! if your not holding the shifter with your hand than it will barely miss by like 2cm but if your hand is there which is where it should be since your shifting then be prepared to hit your cup which will hit your head unit and it changes the song from a totally cool one to one thats the ghey and right when theres a hot chick in the car next to you. thats just the way of the cup holder

That's kind of what I figured... I guess we'd have to shorten the shifter and the problem might be fixed... although, I've found that cans of soda are the best fit in the cup holder, they don't rub the radio at all, at least not with it on top.

StormyBklyn
04-09-2008, 04:54 PM

Not if you're using your ipod. Then it just makes the drink (in my car, usually hot coffee) splash, burning your knuckles and spraying the head unit, making it sticky, and on my old 90 GT, ruining the head unit completely (luckily it was the OEM cassette unit, and I had a head unit for replacement anyway).

Although, I read somewhere that if you bend the shifter back 1/4", it corrects this problem. Still, I don't think with the price of a TWM SS, I am going to be doing this.