PDA

View Full Version : frankenstien motor

Tommy
04-05-2008, 04:44 AM
has any one ever tried it before redid internals on a 5sfe block and internals on a 3sge head? this is what im thinking about doing then ill have .2 liters more than an alltrac. let me know if any of you have tried this i working on being able to boost up to 30psi. maybe more who knows how far i can push it? let m know what internals you use i heard je piston makes piston for my block for big boost any others?

Tommy
04-05-2008, 05:03 AM
o yeah and would the block have to be the same gen as the block?

Colossus20v
04-05-2008, 05:07 AM
your talking about a 5sgte. Im not entirely sure one whats the best practice but it has been disucessed a lot lately. Basically you take the 5sfe bottom end and mate it to the 3sgte head. You will still need to run 3sgte electronics and you would have to find something to tune it.

Tommy
04-05-2008, 05:20 AM
do you know any one that has done it before? i would love to gather up as much info as i can befor i start it. it will be a few months tho until i can take anything apart. need to buy a second a vehicle.

Luni
04-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Are you serious?

TONS of people have done it.

Go register over at mr2oc.com and read, read read.

Colossus20v
04-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Just did a search on here for 5sgte and came up with the following:
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=399353

This guy is doing it now: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33428&highlight=5sgte

19celica90
04-06-2008, 01:50 AM
i think it'd be easier for you financially and mentally to get a 3sgte and then use a 5sfe crank to make it a stroker. In the end, it will be the same, and you'll already have all the electronics and ecu to run it. So, there wont be any need to get a stand alone and have it tuned. It will run off the stock ecu and be fine. At most, it might need a s-afc to get some extra fuel in the mix but thats what id do.

Tommy
04-06-2008, 04:08 PM
if i were to do a full 3sgte swap it would cost a bit i would by a whole front clip. costing somewere around $2,000. when all i have to do is rebuild my block with new pistons and a crank and rebuild the 3s head valves spings retainers cams. cost maybe close to a front clip. but ill do some more research.

19celica90
04-06-2008, 07:24 PM
yeah but what would really save you alot of money would be the ability to run this motor on the stock ecu from the 3s. So, 2000-3000 gets you a running stroked 3sgte. If you go your route, youll be in 2000, then add another 1700 for a standalone and you'll need some parts of the 3s harness. But youll have to buy the whole harness because no one will be selling a half harness. Then you'll have to make one harness out of the 5s and 3s. Then get the car dyno tuned so, maybe another 1000 or so. In my area the going rate for a reputable tuner will be 80-100/hr. Add it up and you'll have spent at least twice the amount of a front clip with a 5s crank. Plus, if you did buy a front clip, there are alot of parts you can sell and make back you're money.

Ghosty
04-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah... I'm no experts on swaps or anything, but I do read, and I can tell you that you are doing yourself a disservice by not simply going with a full 3SGTE swap.

When you get down to it, the 3SGTE is designed to take more abuse. It's got oil squirters to keep up with the high demands of the engine, keeps things lubricated. There are many other things like that that make the 5S block not as ideal (unless you have a ton of cash and time to throw at it).

Now if you wanted to bump up displacement on a 3SGTE, there are stroker kits on the market that are essentially 5SFE cranks. Only look for that route, anything else is backwards.

Tommy
04-06-2008, 09:47 PM
alright ill probably just go 3sgte what are you saying now about the stroker with a crank?

19celica90
04-07-2008, 02:19 AM
the S in the 3Sgte or 5Sfe refers to the block. What that means is the cranks are interchangeable. The 3sgte is a 2liter and a 5sfe is 2.2 liter. Now, what makes the extra displacement in the 5sfe is the crank. So if you wanted to make a 3sgte into a 2.2 liter, all you do is take the crank and machine the 3s rods and a few other things. Do some research and see what works the best.

Tommy
04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
so i can just buy a crank from a 5sfe and put it in the 3sgte and about piston and rods ill just buy some forged piston and see what i can do about rods. like i said need to find something that can handle as much boost as possible.

alltracshoak
04-07-2008, 08:08 PM
the rods you can use 3s rods..however the piston, i think you're going to need to use custom piston..that's if you go with a 3s block and 5s crank stroker..

93bottlefedGT-S
04-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Im currently building a 5SGTE! And in pistons, rods, head gasket and head studs its gonna run me 1600 dollars!!! Will it be worth it in the end??? Who knows man! But im not only rebuilding my block, i had it bored 30 over and the gte head port and polished! Both of those being done cost me 500 dollars!

Its up to how much you wanna spend! 30psi is alot! Im only gonna be running 16 on the streets and probably around 25 on the strip!

My advice to you is listen to what these guys have to say and if it comes down to it buy a 3SGTE swap! It may end up better in the long run!

But GL with your build and have fun! Any questions just ask!

Tommy
04-07-2008, 11:39 PM
the rods you can use 3s rods..however the piston, i think you're going to need to use custom piston..that's if you go with a 3s block and 5s crank stroker..

this is probably what ill do then. just need to do reseach on the pistons then

ciento44
04-08-2008, 09:35 PM
If you want as much boost as possible.... you're going to need a fully built 3sgte...

Like..... CP pistons, pauter rods, some block work, crank, so on and so forth...

Feel like spending 5-10k in parts and machine work?