PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else currently soaking their ECU in Coca-Cola?

maxwedge
04-05-2008, 12:50 AM
...No?
Well after spending the better part of the last two weekends trying to figure out why my 89 all-trac won't start, I finally traced it to the very corroded ECU that doesn't seem to be funtioning at all anymore. Completely dead. Seems to have no output whatsoever, even though it has power going in and it actually has a hole corroded all the way through the aluminum case from where, a bracket had rusted off and the ECU was resting on the steel floor uderneath the water leak I didn't know about from the rusted cowl area above it. A couple of output trasnistors and some resitors are clearly bridged with corrosion.
So here is where it gets really weird...this is what was suggested by one of our techs who has restored all kinds of old computers and electronics...
Soak it in Coke, rinse it with hot water, let it dry, and hook it back up and see if it works.

What the hell, I was gonna be replacing it anyway right? :lolhittin

extremeskillz
04-05-2008, 12:53 AM
With that said... i dare you to do it and post back results.

grayscale
04-05-2008, 12:56 AM
Interesting. Instead of rinsing with water I would suggest getting some circuit board cleaner. It comes in spray cans, dries right before eyes, is safe, cleans damn near anything, some will even leave a protective coating on the surface you've cleaned. Let us know how it works though. The phosphoric acid in cola drinks does amazing things, like eating hole in the lining of the human esophagus.

Galcobar
04-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Well, rinse, then circuit board cleaner. Bad idea to mix two active chemicals without a rinse in between.

maxwedge
04-05-2008, 01:13 AM
I already tried electronics cleaner and it evaporates too fast to do much to the heavy corrosion on this thing. I also tried spraying it with the liquid flux that we use to clean oxidation off parts and boards before soldering, also with not very good results. Believe it or not we run all of the circuit boards we manufacture through a de-ionized hot water wash, usually several times during the manufacturing process. That's where I was going to rinse it. Most electronic components are far more sensitive to ESD (static) than to moisture. Besides I was told that the hot water removes the coke syrup better than PCB cleaner. Like I said, this is very last ditch and I'll be very suprised if it actually works. It is a very bizzare feeling going into my kitchen and seeing my ECU bubbling away in a container of cola though.

Which reminds me, on the off chance this doesn't actually work...do any of you happen to have a 4th gen 3SGTE ECU sitting around that you want to unload for cheap? LOL

celicaGT90_05
04-05-2008, 01:46 AM
what he suggested might actually work, the carbonation of the coke will break up any corrosion, the rinse will then carry them away. Just MAKE SURE you let it dry before any attemps to run. I actually had a digital watch get wet once and quit working, I let it dry out and it came back to life. Worth a try at very least, I say go for it. Also remember, there are acids in coke, so dont keep it coked up too long

Blue91CelicaGT
04-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Learm something new everyday/
You a 4th gen alltrac, but I think you ment 1 gen ECU btw.

grayscale
04-05-2008, 03:22 AM
I already tried electronics cleaner and it evaporates too fast to do much to the heavy corrosion on this thing. I also tried spraying it with the liquid flux that we use to clean oxidation off parts and boards before soldering, also with not very good results. Believe it or not we run all of the circuit boards we manufacture through a de-ionized hot water wash, usually several times during the manufacturing process. That's where I was going to rinse it. Most electronic components are far more sensitive to ESD (static) than to moisture. Besides I was told that the hot water removes the coke syrup better than PCB cleaner. Like I said, this is very last ditch and I'll be very suprised if it actually works. It is a very bizzare feeling going into my kitchen and seeing my ECU bubbling away in a container of cola though.

Which reminds me, on the off chance this doesn't actually work...do any of you happen to have a 4th gen 3SGTE ECU sitting around that you want to unload for cheap? LOL
Sorry about that, I (we) had no idea what you do for a living. Sounds like you know a lot more about it than us. In that case, I'm very interested to hear your results. This is one reason these kind of boards work so well and are so useful, we have people with so much different experience. Good luck!