PDA

View Full Version : 5th gen GT vs GTS

wizzards581
04-04-2008, 05:26 PM
any difference in performance wise? i never drove one before to compare but thot about getting a GT coupe for a DD. GTS would be nice but its going to look identical to my Alltrac. i do notice speedometer shows 130mph~ while the GTS goes 150mph~... ? is there a difference somewhere?

MarcusM2007
04-04-2008, 05:33 PM
There is no difference performance wise, besides the GTS having 4 wheel discs which would give it slightly better braking.

Top speed is 117mph in a stock GT, tested many times :)

ciento44
04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Later GT will have 4-wheel disc. My 1993 GT Coupe was a FAR superior car in terms of performance to any GTS that i've ever driven. Felt tighter, was faster (lighter weight)

GT will show speedo only to 120.

Personally? I love coupes. I like the way they look better, they're lighter, stiffer, and to me, the 92-93 GT bumpers > GT-S bumpers. Just a cleaner looking car.

Put it this way... i would have no hesitation going after a stock alltrac in a stock good condition 92-93 Coupe on a road course, or backroads.

extremeskillz
04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
The GT is lighter then the GT-s because of not having the wide fenders and such. THe GT-S has a better stock suspension, aw disk brakes, and the wide body fenders. theres more. They are basically an alltrac without alltrac awd and 3sgte. I like the GT-S better.

Newbster
04-04-2008, 07:14 PM
I dont think they had diff suspension. GT+GTS have the same suspension, the ST is what has a softer suspension.

T-spoon
04-04-2008, 07:22 PM
The GT is lighter then the GT-s because of not having the wide fenders and such. THe GT-S has a better stock suspension, aw disk brakes, and the wide body fenders. theres more. They are basically an alltrac without alltrac awd and 3sgte. I like the GT-S better.

There isn't a huge weight difference between a liftback GT and a GT-S, the weight difference is mainly between the coupes and liftbacks. (same is true for the 6gens, just obviously there aren't "GT-S" badges unless they're canadian)

ciento44
04-04-2008, 07:34 PM
There isn't a huge weight difference between a liftback GT and a GT-S, the weight difference is mainly between the coupes and liftbacks. (same is true for the 6gens, just obviously there aren't "GT-S" badges unless they're canadian)

I would imagine it has to do a lot with options, too... a fully loaded leather gts i would imagine would probably have 200lbs on a cloth, no sunroof GT liftback.

My liftback doesn't feel much different than my coupe, just not as tight in hard corners. Well... i should rephrase. It's tighter, but not when the coupe was in good shape.

jlspec
04-04-2008, 08:30 PM
The Celica GT-S has better suspension then the GT but not comparable to the alltrac. The GT-S has better option and cloth trunk space as compare to the GT. The 6-gen Celica has the same option but no GT-S badges.

ciento44
04-04-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm really curious as to exactly what a "better suspension" entails when referenced between a GT and GT-S. I've heard it spread around, i haven't really seen proof of difference.

Aftermarket part numbers are the same. And every GTS that i've driven felt way softer than the coupe did before it fell apart.

Mr Celica
04-04-2008, 10:45 PM
^ OEM part numbers are different if i recall...

Galcobar
04-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Really? Couldn't find any difference when I was looking at replacing my suspension components, be it shocks, struts, even stabiliser bar.

Now, the sixth-gen GTS (yes, I'm Canadian) got the Sport package, which was an option on the American GT, and that did come with a stiffer suspension setup.

grayscale
04-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I've never seen anything to prove a difference in suspension, though there is a reference to a GTS-Sport in a lot of places, but I've found nothing to suggest otherwise. I've had GT LBs and my current GTS, but nothing found. What I do know is that several different size sway bars were used on these cars, but I've yet to find any rhyme or reason to it at all.

Tommy
04-04-2008, 11:24 PM
i love my little GT-S it does the job for me eventually it will have a 3sgte in it boostin around 30psi. the handeling is awsome with it.

Mr Celica
04-04-2008, 11:38 PM
30psi? you running a supercharger?

Tommy
04-05-2008, 12:20 AM
no ill have a 3s fully built for everything just takes time and money. maybe if i get another GT-S ill look into supercharging it.

wizzards581
04-05-2008, 08:52 AM
yea... im leaning towards a 92-93 celica GT coupe. were the 92 and 93 yrs offered rear disc brakes as well? if so was it because of ABS?

extremeskillz
04-05-2008, 01:07 PM
^the GT-S came standard AW disk brakes with abs and i believe the GT was offered as an option although i never ran into a GT with that option on. Its become a popular swap amoung the GT drivers.

hemlocke
04-05-2008, 03:07 PM
If you want the 4-wheel discs, it is a pretty easy swap, and the parts are out there. I sourced everything locally for less than $75, but I'll probably go ahead and use new rotors and calipers. I love the wide body fenders of the GT-S, but I prefer the lower weight of my coupe GT.

93bottlefedGT-S
04-05-2008, 05:26 PM
i love both my gt-s' even though i can only drive one of them! i love the widebody look compared to the gt. i work with a couple of guys at the parts store who drive celicas also, 2 of them drive 93 coupes and one drives a 92 convert. and they all just sit a stare at my gt-s... mmmmmm ILOVEIT!!!

jlspec
04-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Why not trying finding an All-Trac? It pretty much outclasses the other celicas completely. I know it's hard but if you search hard enough you'll find it.

alltracshoak
04-05-2008, 07:57 PM
he already has an alltrac..maybe just looking for a DD and set off aside his alltrac

wizzards581
04-07-2008, 04:16 PM
he already has an alltrac..maybe just looking for a DD and set off aside his alltrac

:wiggle:

METDeath
04-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Bit of a random question, but related... anyone know if the fenders are the only place the car is "wide body" or is the door and such different too? I'm looking to either roll my current fenders ($75/per) or get some GTS fenders... if they line up with GT doors...

celica91gts
04-08-2008, 12:56 AM
its just the fenders and the rear quarter panels. so if ur planning to swap only the fenders then your car will only be half as wide as a gts. doors are the same.

grayscale
04-08-2008, 12:56 AM
I guess you would have to roll your rear fenders or cut some out and weld them onto yours. The problem is the flare isn't as easy as it looks because it runs all the way up into the gas tank door. From my own experience the tail lights fit differently too though it has never been confirmed, but I know a few others have said the same.

Murgatroy
04-08-2008, 02:15 AM
The ST is where it is at for performance. :hehe:

Lightest and stiffest chassis... just ignore stock 103HP rating.

Chaos tips the scales at 2300lbs with me in her. She has been on a diet though.

Stock, I would take the GT coupe, as mentioned 92-93 with the rear disc option.

The GT-S does come with some nice goodies, all the available options other that the 3SGTE and AWD, but at a serious wieght disadvantage.

If you already have a widebody (since you have an ST185) I would lean toward the GT coupe, as it is the opposite end of the 5th Gen looks spectrum.

grayscale
04-08-2008, 03:51 AM
The GT-S does come with some nice goodies, all the available options other that the 3SGTE and AWD, but at a serious wieght disadvantage.
Meh, I wouldn't call it serious, only a couple hundred pounds, it can be cured. :bigthumbu

decastave
04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
"^the GT-S came standard AW disk brakes with abs and i believe the GT was offered as an option although i never ran into a GT with that option on. Its become a popular swap amoung the GT drivers."

I got a 92 at home with factory 4 wheel disc and ABS it's definitely got some stopping power.

All the "S" at the end of GT-S stands for is "Sport" it's supposed to have a stiffer suspension from the factory but it's hard telling the truth. I've only been doin enough research on my GT.

celica9303
04-08-2008, 10:43 PM
My 93 vert has aw dusk and abs and thers no difference in suspensions orm pay numbers are different cuz its a different model same part though

celica9303
04-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Disk**

T-spoon
04-09-2008, 02:17 AM
My 93 vert has aw dusk and abs and thers no difference in suspensions orm pay numbers are different cuz its a different model same part though

What? They will use different part numbers if they are different parts. If they were the same part, they would use the same part number, like any of the interchangeable 5s parts between Camry and Celica. There's always a reason for a part number being different (even if it's a very very very minor difference like the factory it was made in). Being able to interchange doesn't mean it's the same part and sometimes the differences matter significantly (though not always).

A GT coupe and GTS will no doubt use different PN shocks because they are different weights. The verts probably also have a different PN from coupes for the same reason. That doesn't mean the GTS suspension is necessarily "high performance" or "sport" though, just that it matches the car that it's intended for.

car
04-09-2008, 02:20 AM
"^the GT-S came standard AW disk brakes with abs and i believe the GT was offered as an option although i never ran into a GT with that option on. Its become a popular swap amoung the GT drivers."

I most definitely do not have ABS in my GT-S, I'm not special am I??

grayscale
04-09-2008, 02:37 AM
^I think the abs came standard in the gts starting in 92.

Galcobar
04-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Well, my 1990 GT had the ABS as an option, judging by the console.

Ghosty
04-09-2008, 07:06 AM
I might be smoking crack here... but didn't the GT-S manuals come with an LSD?

T-spoon
04-09-2008, 07:09 AM
I might be smoking crack here... but didn't the GT-S manuals come with an LSD?

Almost positive the answer is no, no 5s tranny of any gen that I know of came with LSDs from the factory.

Ghosty
04-09-2008, 07:25 AM
...ABS, Leather interior, sunroof, and System 10 Premium Sound System are optional on the GT-S and '90'92 All-trac, and standard on '93 All-trac.

There's your answer. ABS, Leather and System-10 sound. All were optional, so you might come across GT-S with or without these options.

wizzards581
04-10-2008, 05:15 PM
There's your answer. ABS, Leather and System-10 sound. All were optional, so you might come across GT-S with or without these options.

my friend use to have a 91 GT-S with no sunroof. i thot all GT-S had sunroof... i remembered, this is not honda, its toyota. u can pick n mix your new car.