PDA

View Full Version : New leak on the Celica

kyleatusa
04-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Hello, I just repaired the oil pump/timing gear leak, the leak was coming from the passenger side, front of the engine, but luckily it is still holding up. I RTV'd my oil pan and waited 24 hours, started it, let it run for 10 minutes, no leaks. I took it for a drive, 2 miles, brought it back, it was leaking. The corner of the oil pan closest to the gas pedal (if you can imagine, driver's side, corner, back). So, I took it off, although not recommended by some on this board, used a thin coat of RTV with the gasket they sell at Advance. Put it on, let it dry, started it up, ran for 10 minutes, no leaks, took it for a test drive, checked it, leaking in the same place. The oil pan does not look warped, and it does look like it is coming from the oil pan area, I pressed my finger tight, above the lip of the leak and it does not accumulate on my finger (as the car was running), but looked to come out of the seal of the oil pan, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know if the head gasket only starts after 5-10 minutes after running the engine?

sheep
04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
it would make sense since once the oil settles in the bottom of the pan the head would stop leaking, until you started driving again and the oil pressure rises and pushes it out

Newbster
04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
What I've heard is that just about any leak coming from above the oil pain, will accumulate at the oil pan ridges, and dripping from the oil pan ridges (seal), making it look like a leak from the oil pan, when in reality it could have been the valve cover/front seal/etc...

tuner4life
04-02-2008, 10:47 PM
What I've heard is that just about any leak coming from above the oil pain, will accumulate at the oil pan ridges, and dripping from the oil pan ridges (seal), making it look like a leak from the oil pan, when in reality it could have been the valve cover/front seal/etc...

^ That's my vote.

kyleatusa
04-03-2008, 03:53 AM
Thank you, I was thinking that maybe the new oil pump may have pushed the head gasket over the edge, it has 175K and I have read here that Celicas are prone to leaking there.