PDA

View Full Version : RTV set up time

kyleatusa
03-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Hello, I just pulled the oil pan on my 90 Celica GT, 2.2L, scrapped and cleaned it. The set up time is 1 hour, and cure time is 24, do I need to wait 24hours before starting it?

grayscale
03-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Yes.

Shadowlife25
03-31-2008, 11:27 PM
It is drive-able (enough to move)within an hour, but I'd give it around 2 or so just to be sure. When you apply it, make sure you mate the surfaces within 10 minutes, or you need to scrape it off and apply it again.

Shadowlife25
03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Cannon, the 24hour time is ideal, but I'm sure you know, that in a shop time = $$$
After an hour or so is good to just move it.

I do agree however, that 24hours would be prudent before any actual driving :)

celicaGT90_05
03-31-2008, 11:30 PM
it wont be fully hardened til the 24 hours, it'll still be a little bit squishy after the hour. If you want to make sure, wait the full 24 hours, better safe than sorry

grayscale
03-31-2008, 11:31 PM
I'd have to disagree. "Set up" means that it will hold it's form and it's bond, but it is still unstable and unable to hold pressure and may loose it's bond in some places under too much vibration and movement.

grayscale
03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Cannon, the 24hour time is ideal, but I'm sure you know, that in a shop time = $$$
After an hour or so is good to just move it.

I do agree however, that 24hours would be prudent before any actual driving
True, if you just need to move it, make it quick and it shouldn't be a problem.

Shadowlife25
03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
You are correct, I've just worked with the stuff so much, you kinda get a feel for it.

To clarify: 24 hours is the recommended necessary cure time.

kyleatusa
I'll wait

Shadowlife25
:)

celicaGT90_05
04-01-2008, 12:32 AM
I'd have to disagree. "Set up" means that it will hold it's form and it's bond, but it is still unstable and unable to hold pressure and may loose it's bond in some places under too much vibration and movement.

wait what are you disagreeing with?

While its true it may form leaks before it fully cures, it also may not. As been said though it is recommended to let it full cure

Shadowlife25
04-01-2008, 02:05 AM
He was just emphasizing that it should be let cure the full 24 hour time period :)

91 Celica GT-S
04-01-2008, 12:50 PM
if you were working in a shop someone would slap you if you waited 24 hrs but if youre doing it at home you better wait your time and know it was done right

The Captain
04-01-2008, 01:09 PM
^^^Are we talking left handed bitch slap or a full pants down spanking?

extremeskillz
04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Not to thread jack but on subject: i just bought a oil pan gasket. Is this what your suppost to use or RTV?

celica91gts
04-01-2008, 02:07 PM
i hear it's RTV or something of the sort. quoted form cs363 "Regarding FPIG/RTV this brand: http://www.threebond.com/ is widely regarded as the best by most mechanics, race engine builders etc. Three Bond actually make the Toyota sealant as well as most of the japanese motorcycle manufacturers 'own brand' sealants."

91 Celica GT-S
04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
^^^Are we talking left handed bitch slap or a full pants down spanking?

keeping in mind all the ghey talk in most shops i guess youll get the full treatment pants down spanking it is :lolhittin

celicaGT90_05
04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
if you were working in a shop someone would slap you if you waited 24 hrs but if youre doing it at home you better wait your time and know it was done right

I have to disagree, personally I would let the customer know the circumstances, and they'd probably tell me ok let it set 24 hours or just tell them in order to do this we need the car here over night. You really think the customer is gonna care about a single day in making sure their car is returned to them healthy?

extremeskillz
04-01-2008, 06:41 PM
i hear it's RTV or something of the sort. quoted form cs363 "Regarding FPIG/RTV this brand: http://www.threebond.com/ is widely regarded as the best by most mechanics, race engine builders etc. Three Bond actually make the Toyota sealant as well as most of the japanese motorcycle manufacturers 'own brand' sealants."

I ask autozone about the gasket and he said to used the gasket that the computer said to used for the 5sfe. I then asked about RTV and he said just stay OEM to be safe but you could go RTV.

So whats better RTV or the cork oil pan gasket? because thats what i have waiting to be install, the cork gasket.

midship
04-01-2008, 09:58 PM
I ask autozone about the gasket and he said to used the gasket that the computer said to used for the 5sfe. I then asked about RTV and he said just stay OEM to be safe but you could go RTV.

So whats better RTV or the cork oil pan gasket? because thats what i have waiting to be install, the cork gasket.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Toyota used RTV at the factory. So that gasket would not be OEM.

I know that mr2s did not have a gasket from the factory, just RTV. Not that that helps.

cs363
04-01-2008, 11:37 PM
^^^ You are correct. :)

extremeskillz
04-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Looks like im returning the gasket and getting RTV. Thanks for the info.

grayscale
04-02-2008, 02:39 AM
Autozone= bullshit. I haven't stepped foot in an Autozone in over 6 years, useless idiots.
Although, just about all of the parts will try to tell you there's a gasket in there because it's in there computers. If you can wait, I would order some FIPG from Toyota(maybe alltracman can get you some) or some ThreeBond or the other stuff I mentioned above. The other RTV stuffs just don't seem to do the job right, even the high temp copper stuff I used once didn't last very long.

extremeskillz
04-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Good to know. Thanks

celicaGT90_05
04-02-2008, 03:49 AM
permatex tends to be good stuff, but if you want to make sure just use what they use at the factory as grayscale suggested. High temp wont necessarily be enough for an oil pan gasket. There are many different types of RTV and each one has a purpose. Do remember, the crank case does have pressure when the motor is operating

extremeskillz
04-02-2008, 03:55 AM
That i am aware of. Does the RTV have a temp rating on them when your purchasing it at the store?

Shadowlife25
04-02-2008, 04:15 AM
I have half a tube of FIPG left over from my oil pan re-seal. It's yours for shipping if you want it. Should be plenty there to do another oil pan.

FYI, TOYOTA charges $25 for a tube of FIPG.

If you want it and can wait a few days, just drop me a PM with your address (name is good too) ;)

extremeskillz
04-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Shadow i will consider your offer within the next few days. Im getting busy again with school so bare with me. I have another question, Is the transmission pan seal using RTV as well or the rubber gasket because i have a reseal kit for it too with the filter and such to do a transmission flush?

Theres a minor seal leak on the tranny pan so im killing two birds with one stone.

Shadowlife25
04-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm honestly not sure on the tranny pan, but the transmission itself is assembled with FIPG sealant. I take it you have an automatic transmission?

You can just do a drain and fill on the tranny, unless you have leaks you need to address.

grayscale
04-03-2008, 10:24 AM
IIRC, from an auto celica I used to have, no FIPG on the transmission, just the rubber seal, too dangerous if you get any fipg in there where it doesn't belong.

Shadowlife25
04-04-2008, 05:01 AM
I meant the outer casing assembly, but you're probably right :)

celicaGT90_05
04-04-2008, 05:03 AM
it is HIGHLY unlikely that an auto tranny would use any form of RTV, as grayscale said it is risky, the valve body can become plugged and you'll get all kinds of funky symptoms. A lot of tranny pans use reuseable gaskets, but not all

Luni
04-04-2008, 06:09 AM
My .02

Permatex ultra copper is the stuff you want if you dont use FIPG.

I use 2 layers. I fill and flatten the first layer and let it get almost dry.

Then I use a single motion in the grooves all the way around, let it set up about an hour or 2 (you should be able to touch it without it sticking to your hand) then I mount it.

Then I let it sit for the 24 hour period and all is good.

None of my gaskets have ever let me down. Borinals gasket on his engine is done this way, my buddies Talon is done this way. Its how I roll.

And all of them have been with Permatex Ultra Copper.

extremeskillz
04-04-2008, 01:40 PM
So this is what im doing: New rubber gasket and filter for the auto tranny and RTV for the oil pan. I would do the copper gasket but I don't believe autozone has them. Where did you pick yours up Luni?

cs363
04-04-2008, 07:04 PM
So this is what im doing: New rubber gasket and filter for the auto tranny and RTV for the oil pan. I would do the copper gasket but I don't believe autozone has them. Where did you pick yours up Luni?

It's not a gasket, Permatex Ultra Copper is another high quality/high temp gasket maker: http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Copper_Maximum_Temperature_RTV _Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

Good stuff! :)

celicaGT90_05
04-04-2008, 07:57 PM
any time you see permatex, its an RTV, they are a popular brand of RTV