PDA

View Full Version : Intro and Headlight problem

Prosik
03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Hello everyone

I now own a 95 Celica here in Japan. I have until the 7th to have it registered etc.

The lowbeam headlights and foglights will not light. I am getting 0V dc at the lamp but I am getting 12v at the relay for the head lights. Fuses in the engine compartment are good. Are there any headlight fuses in the cab I need to check?

High beams come on when I hold switch in reverse and push in. Should I get a high beam indication on the dash? I didn't see one today.

Fog lamps are not coming on I have not troubleshot those yet.

Could this be the switch in the steering column? Any ideas?

Thanks

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
03-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Well in my half of a semester of learning about voltage drop, if you have voltage at the relay, and no voltage at the lamps/fogs, then your problem there lies somewhere in between, in which you probably have a short or jacked up wire/s somewhere...i think what i am saying is correct but dont hold me to it...still learning/remembering this kinda stuff..

CriScO
04-01-2008, 05:07 AM
First, welcome Prosik!

Well in my half of a semester of learning about voltage drop, if you have voltage at the relay, and no voltage at the lamps/fogs, then your problem there lies somewhere in between, in which you probably have a short or jacked up wire/s somewhere...i think what i am saying is correct but dont hold me to it...still learning/remembering this kinda stuff..

You are correct, but without knowing which pole of the relay was tested you can't be sure. One pole gets constant voltage, while another is tripped by getting voltage from the switch. The constant/lights are then connected and power is sent to the lights.

I'm sure my terminology is off, but you get the idea. I'd say the switch is a definite possibility.

Should I get a high beam indication on the dash? I didn't see one today.

Yes. It not coming on could just mean that the bulb in the dash is out, though.

celicaGT90_05
04-01-2008, 05:54 AM

yes you are correct, if you have voltage at the 2nd (make sure you test both) end of the relay, but not at the light, your line is probably opened. If it doesnt on one end of the relay, try replacing the relay, borrow a relay from an unimportant circuit to the vehicle running such as a wiper motor relay. Also, Dont count corrosion out, make sure your connections are clean, if all is well, then you should test the wires. If thats a little confusing, sorry

Welcome to the site!

cs363
04-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Also, quite likely that the fog lights only work on low beam - so if you fix them you'll probably get the fog lights working at the same time.

Prosik
04-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Just an update. I have voltage on one side of the relay and not at the fuses. The headlamps to fuse are good very low resistance.

I am guessing that the wiring harness is based on US design as I only see two fuses one for left and one for right hand side.

Still working on finding out the failure.