PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a 4runner

sheep
03-31-2008, 05:59 AM
well now that its starting to get warmer im starting to see all the muddy 4x4s driving around, and at first i wanted another cherokee, but i have seen a few nice 4runners driving around and got to wondering. i have heard some bad things about the trannys in them and wanted to know if they are true? usually i would go with what they said but its a toyota, its really not like them to build something faulty so i thought i would ask around before i made my decision.

burnyd
03-31-2008, 06:14 AM
what year are you referring to ? Dont get another xj jeeps ewwww.

sheep
03-31-2008, 06:37 AM
i loved my jeep and alot of people i talked to said they had 250+ miles and it was still running strong, my old one had 215 when i got rid of it and its running great still, my step moms DD now, 200k is good for an american made vehicle and 250 is insane so i would love another one. and my jeep out wheeled any chevy or ford that i when wheelin with and had nothing but bad to say about a jeep........

anyway im thinking mid 90 4 runner

david in germany
03-31-2008, 06:56 AM
I have a 87 sr5 4runner and I love it. It has over 175k miles and looks beat to hell but as long as the battery has juice it will start! Also the 22re engines in the old ones are a easy beast to work on too! I did a complete top end rebuild on it for under $300 for all parts to include ss valves, bigger cam, header, all gaskets! as long as you have a chilton's manual you can't go wrong!

sheep
03-31-2008, 08:18 AM
done any wheelin in it? i have only wheeled in solid axle vehicles and noticed the 4runners are independent. and how hard is an independent front end to lift without changing over to a solid axle?

david in germany
03-31-2008, 08:59 AM
done any wheelin in it? i have only wheeled in solid axle vehicles and noticed the 4runners are independent. and how hard is an independent front end to lift without changing over to a solid axle?
I wheel it a little but presently my large tires are off. Make sure if you get one with auto locking hubs you do the conversion to manual hubs ASAP. Off road they are a beast. I have been stuck but it is rare (no lift) the independent suspension is a little more $ but you can also do a body lift on the cheap!
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

sheep
03-31-2008, 09:36 AM
sweet thanks for the info, will be looking at 4runners very closely

Gary
03-31-2008, 03:17 PM
And make sure the rear window rolls down properly, otherwise you won't be able to open the gate.

Cavanagh
03-31-2008, 09:22 PM
I LOVE 4runners, but Jeeps are indestructible...my buddies never gets stuck and he beats the hell outta it and its still running fine at 150,xxx.

Mr Celica
04-01-2008, 12:37 AM
i own a 1992 4runner sr5 loaded. it has 220+k miles on it and purs like a kitten. it has the auto tranny and i haven't had any problems with it.

i have been mudding and i have never gotten stuck, even on stock saggy suspension with running boards.

my rear window is starting to give me trouble now, but it isn't too hard of a fix.

you might want to look into getting some new springs for at least the rear, they tend to sag and you get that ass-to-the-ground look. don't expect good mileage though, i drive spirited (yes even with a 4runner) and i was averaging 12-13 mpg even on the highway.

for a off roader they aren't bad, it drove me nuts driving it as a daily though. just not enough power out of the 3.0L V6. (150hp 180lbstq) but it did the job. it had 190k on it when i got it, power windows, moon roof, cd player, rear heat, AC, and the chrome package and i got it for a steal for $500 cause it needed a gas tank. and then i blew the head gaskets off roading, but what do you expect with 200k on it?

i believe i have pictures of it in my garage, if you're curious.

goretro77
04-01-2008, 01:50 AM
I have a 3rd generation - '96 4Runner SR5. 165k miles and its never let me down. No trans problems but then again I change the rear diff's oil and lubricate the drivetrain as per schedule. Needless to say it works great in Chicago winters with all the salt they spread. The body is holding up great.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC_4473.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC_4468.jpg

I used it a few times to tow a few buddy's racecars around. Not the most powerful but then again its pretty good gas-wise and V6 (5VZ-FE).
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC02891_lic.jpg

I have taken it wheelin' to secret fishing spots I know about up in Wisconsin, works great.

12 years later, I do not have any plans to sell it since it shows no signs of stopping:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/goretro77/DSC02906_licplate.jpg

good luck in your decision.

85gtsblackman
04-01-2008, 04:57 AM
WHAT EVER YOU DO DONT GET A QUADRUNNER WITH A 3VZFE!!!!

disclaimer:
"resdient black guy suggest either 5vzfe, 3rzfe, or 22re powered rig"

Mr Celica
04-01-2008, 05:09 AM
^is that the 3.0L?

mine has been running fine for 220k miles only thing major was head gaskets. i've seen them go for 300k plus.

geebes
04-01-2008, 05:22 AM
Goretro, the Elise is looking sooooooooooooooooooooo good, you have convinced me...one of these days I will get one.

BTW, how many cars do you have???

sheep
04-01-2008, 07:26 AM
ok i changed my mine i want that elise!!!! lol there is a yellow one that cruises around here and it is very nice lol. well im going to do some shopping for a while before i make my final decision thanks for all the info guys. i even found a little 87 toyota pickup that i looked at a little i called the guy and im going to check it out in the next couple of days. he says its got 140,000 miles and he wants 2000 obo for it so i guess i might have to snag that up before someone else does!

85gtsblackman
04-01-2008, 07:32 AM
get that truck, just check for timing chain rattle

my truck had sat for 10 years, 3 gallons of gas, carb cleaning, new battery, new fuel pump and it fired right up

hobbie2k
04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Nice, goretro, you managed to sneak your Elise into every one of you 4Runner pics :hehe:...

wizzards581
04-01-2008, 09:37 PM
my father has a 85 4runner with EFI. he doesnt feel like keeping it anymore. he wants the junk to take it... the junk offered him a good deal. its still a clean title.

goretro77
04-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Nice, goretro, you managed to sneak your Elise into every one of you 4Runner pics :hehe:...

Heh heh! :sneak:

Sorry to the OP. I really do like 4Runners. The 22RE and the 5VZFE are the good ones so I concur with 85GTSBlackman. My relatives had the 22RE powered 4Runner and that thing ran and ran.

Blue Scapegoat
04-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Dunno a whole lot about them, but I can tell you my personal experience

I bought a heavily rusted 1990 4runner 3.0l v6 with 4wd and an auto tranny for $300 with some blown brake lines. 165,000 miles. Frame's solid.
Bleeders ended up being stuck as well. I got all my parts at cost through a shop and did the work myself with a friend. Total cost of about $150.

The first night I got it running we took it across the road from the shop to a construction site. Tore up some mud, but got it sunk down to the axels. My buddy's ford f150 make it through with it's larger tires and jacked suspension, but dry land was too far away to pull me out. So I was stuck on private property at 3am... I didn't have plates for it yet, but I had insurance on it, so it could be traced back to me. That ruled out leaving it there. I started to get desperate, and grabbed a shovel and dug a bit of mud out from around the wheels and rear axel. Got in, gave it some gas, and it just kept spinning all 4 wheels.

As a last resort I started slamming the tranny. 4lo, holding the throttle pegged at redline from drive into reverse over and over without letting up, and what do you know; after about 30 times it pulled through for me. Of course, I was going backwards, the windows were covered, and I didn't want to get stuck again, so I just stayed on the gas and hoped for the best. Ran over some ibeams, bent the mirror forward on a dumpster, lost the rear bumper, and slammed a cement pylon, but I survived, and so did the truck.

Been driving it for a while now since then, still runs great.
:bigthumbu

here's a pic of it the next day, bungee'd bumper and all
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/BlueScapegoat/Muddy4Runner.jpg

sheep
04-02-2008, 03:08 AM
see that would be very nice if i could find a little truck/suv for CHEAP just for wheelin, something that no one wants anymore and i can take off there hands even if it needs some work

the wifey tho feels very strongly about me taking a loan out tho or i would already have the little red toyota pickup that i talked about earlier, i would get in alot of trouble and be in the dog house for a while but i was thinking about going after work one day and grabbing it without her knowledge lol

my father has a 85 4runner with EFI. he doesnt feel like keeping it anymore. he wants the junk to take it... the junk offered him a good deal. its still a clean title.

i would take that one off his hands for as much as the junk yard would but i cant drive out to North cali to get it lol

Mr Celica
04-02-2008, 04:43 AM
get the 22re if you don't mind taking 30 minutes to get on the highway :) (at least in a 4runner, just not enough power AT ALL to push that thing around)

david in germany
04-02-2008, 06:40 AM
get the 22re if you don't mind taking 30 minutes to get on the highway :) (at least in a 4runner, just not enough power AT ALL to push that thing around)
Oh, not true.. 1st mod.. A better cam.. The 22re is a easy one to wake up!
stock 22re in the 87 is rated at 115hp and 150 ftlbs torque.. mine being cam'd is around 130hp and about 190ftlbs. It doesn't seem like much but it will do any thing I need it to do.

sheep
04-02-2008, 06:56 AM
that is one thing i LOVED about my jeep that 4.0 I-6 would get up and GO, would put you back into your seat through first and second after i put the TB spacer, new intake, and exhaust on it.

but im not really looking for something to go fast in, just really to wheel and maybe pull a couple 4wheelers. if i want to drive something peppy ill drive my celica

wizzards581
04-03-2008, 04:10 PM

not true... well tuned/maintained 1st gen 22RE 4Runner do pick up speed pretty well for a 4cyl SUV... just swap the tranny internals from a 2nd gen v6 to the 4cyl 1st gen trany. better ratio and prob stronger gears...